Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hutch: Bowens leaning towards Browns over New York Jets

All Pro

Hutch: Bowens leaning towards Browns over New York Jets

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/exnew_york_jets_linebacker_dav.html[/url]

Barring an 11th-hour change of heart, linebacker David Bowens is expected to sign with the Cleveland Browns in the coming days, according to a person with knowledge of Bowens' thinking. That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because he's not authorized to speak for Bowens.

As first reported in The Star Ledger last week, the Jets, who released Bowens last month in a move that wiped his $2 million base salary off the books, are interested in re-signing him at a lower salary.

But Bowens, a 10-year veteran, is said to ``love'' playing for Eric Mangini and will likely select the Browns over the Jets. He visited the Browns this week.

Bowens, who spent two seasons with the Jets, was a valuable backup and special teams ace. Last season, he stepped in for an injured David Harris and did an outstanding job. He finished with 40 tackles, four sacks and an interception in 16 games, five starts.

Meanwhile, don't get too excited about USC quarterback Mark Sanchez working out for the Jets. He expected to be a top-10 pick, if not top-5, and the Jets are sitting at 17. If the Jets go quarterback in the first round, it'll likely be Josh Freeman (Kansas St.).

My thinking, however, is that they go wide receiver, especially with the departure of Laveranues Coles. Jeremy Maclin (Missouri), Hakeem Nicks (North Carolina) and Darrius Heyward-Bey (Maryland) are on the Jets' radar and don't be surprised if they traded up to get their man.

All League
    BYE :byebye:

I guess im the only one that would have liked him back with the Jets? He adds good depth I think. Oh well..

And why the hell would we trade up for one of those WR's?? One of them will be there

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;3039231]I guess im the only one that would have liked him back with the Jets? He adds good depth I think. Oh well..

And why the hell would we trade up for one of those WR's?? One of them will be there[/QUOTE]

He does add good depth, but I think he's still pretty replaceable. And agreed on the WRs, Heyward-Bey and Nicks will definitely be there at #17, maybe even Maclin too.

All League
    He was good when he came in to replace Harris after he was injured. Not the best at rushing the passer though and is definately replaceable.

Jets Insider VIP
    [quote=MDL_JET;3039231]I guess im the only one that would have liked him back with the Jets? He adds good depth I think. Oh well..

And why the hell would we trade up for one of those WR's?? One of them will be there[/quote]

I agree.

I don't like the idea of losing Bowens to Mangina. Bowens was a solid player for us and brought a lot of versatility to the table.

He's one of the only players who seem to be favoring Cleveland in FA. I got a kick out of the blurb on Rotoworld about this:

[QUOTE]
    He reportedly "loves" playing for Eric Mangini, which puts him select company.
    [/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [quote=mrorange43;3039243]He does add good depth, but I think [B]he's still pretty replaceable[/B].[/quote]

[quote=BLEEDgreenN'white;3039247]Not the best at rushing the passer though and is [B]definately replaceable[/B].[/quote]

Do you guys have anybody in mind?

All Pro
    A critique, the people happily sending this guy off aren't getting how hard it is to have quality depth. He could play inside and outside and was our best backup LB at all positions.

For example think of how crappy the rest of our backup LBers were the last couple of years, I already forgot their names, Chatham and Kassell I think. They were atrocious. It's difficult to get good depth and a guy like Bowens rounds out the team. Who do we have on the roster that will replace Harris if he goes down again?

Plus he made an occasional big play.

Bowens is okay, but I'd rather get younger anyways personally.

Bowens was alright, but he's definitely replaceable.

i wouldn't mind keeping Barton for depth/leadership purposes. has anyone heard anything about the Jets POSSIBLY re-signing him?

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3039280]Bowens is okay, but I'd rather get younger anyways personally.[/QUOTE]

^^ This.

Not real happy with all the cutting of our lb's....

We need depth to make a run.

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;3039231]I guess im the only one that would have liked him back with the Jets? He adds good depth I think. Oh well..

And why the hell would we trade up for one of those WR's?? One of them will be there[/QUOTE]

No, you're not the only one. Bowens played great when David Harris was out. He's one of the better backups in the league. Can he be replaced? Yea he can, but the Jets could have used him.

the jets have to make sure this deal gets done.. we cant afford to lose a pro bowl linebacker... especially when we dont have any good linebackers to begin with

Jets Insider VIP
    [quote=BigRy923;3039316]the jets have to make sure this deal gets done.. we cant afford to lose a pro bowl linebacker... especially when we dont have any good linebackers to begin with[/quote]

Sarcasm?

All League
    If he "loved" playing for Mangina and would rather be in a Passive, "Read and React" version of the 3-4 rather than playing for one of the most creative and aggressive Defensive minds in the NFL for the past decade, then see ya!

Have fun in CLeveland and getting your ass handed to you by the Ravens, Steelers, and Titans while the Jets develop into one of the most aggressive and hardest hitting Defenses in the league.

BUt then again, why play HARD and Fast when you can make your money AND take it easy....

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Just heard from a reliable source that he's leaning on coming back to the Jets and may already be re-signed.

GOOD NEWS!

Jets Insider VIP
    [quote=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3039345]Just heard from a reliable source that he's leaning on coming back to the Jets and may already be re-signed.

GOOD NEWS![/quote]

Nice.

Now all we need is the NHL and NBA forums back and things will be looking up. ;)

[QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3039345]Just heard from a reliable source that he's leaning on coming back to the Jets and may already be re-signed.

GOOD NEWS![/QUOTE]

Uh oh, Sooth's sources are gonna be put to the test now. Hope you don't Bongo-up on us. ;)