Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN Radio: John Clayton - Holt possibly to Jets

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see the Jets NOT go after Holt. He's washed up and has definitely lost a step or two. I hope the Jets make a trade up during the draft to get Crabtree....Or trade down to get an extra pick and pick up Jeremy Maclin. I also don't think Sanchez is gonna be our answer at QB.
    Last edited by KingofNY; 03-09-2009 at 12:02 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SUJets1988;3039516]I hear ya, but you can't sign a guy like Stuckey for the salary he's getting. He was a late draft pick that turned out to be pretty good. Once his rookie deal is up, he'll be paid probably 4-5x what he is making now.

I don't think anyone here wants to give Holt big money. I mean, if we can do something like 2 years/$8-9M, then I'd do it. Anything more, I'll pass and move on, happy that we didn't overpay too badly.

For that matter, does anyone have an accurate cap # for us after the recent moves?[/QUOTE]

Coles got 4 yrs and 28 mil from the cheap Bengals.You think Holt is gonna sign for that.Before i add a single WR to this roster,i find out what the 6'4" 210 Marcus henry who i spent a draft pick on can add to my team.Him with Cotch and Clowney and Stuckey offer all different skills.We have Receivers,we just need to find out what they can do.

The Giants took our garbage and won a SB with it.When are we gonna give our kids the chance to prove that what they show just might be the real deal.Henry showed great hands last yr,and with his size,i give him a shotbehind Cotch Stuckey and Clowney.Behind them,we have 2 of the best ST players in the league at WR in Wright and Smith.If the kid we bring in can't play ST and doesn't have a special dimension,that why even bother.A Player i like late is the kid from Nevada Marko Mitchel who's big and fast.Instant STeamer who we can develop.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 03-09-2009 at 01:13 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;3039517] I hope the Jets make a trade up during the draft to get Crabtree....[B]Or trade down to get an extra pick and pick up Jeremy Maclin.[/B][/QUOTE]

:eek: Trade down for Maclin? We'll be lucky if he gets past the Raiders at #7

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on board. We're dangerously thin at WR, and he's got among the best hands in the league which would be a big benefit for the young QB's.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With both Coles and T.O. signing for $6 million to $7 million per year, does Holt sign for less than $4.5 to $5 million per?
    Last edited by Baddniss; 03-09-2009 at 01:14 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love Holt but only if hes released...which he will be by March 17th. He still has 2-3 more productive years, and will help groom our young receivers.(hopefully drating one in round 1 or 2 this year)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're dangerously thin at the position, and I'm not sure about an early round WR being our #1 guy.

I'd be for it, but mostly because our options feel a little limited.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3039560]With both Coles and T.O. signing for $6 million to $7 million per year, does Holt sign for less than $4.5 to $5 million per?[/QUOTE]
    On paper, it doesn't look too probable. I would gladly pass if it was anything more.

We can possibly get away with $5M per, if we were to guarantee majority of it/all of it (2 year deal).

2 years $10M, guaranteed

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holt also always struck me as a high character guy who works really hard for the team. Now if he's 100% behind the move, wants to win instead of just hang around a few more NFL years and give it all, then he would be a very solid addition. Veteran leader, someone the kids can look up to and someone who will help our young QBs a great deal...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you Mo, Holt is hands down still one of the best complete WR's we have in the NFL. Bulger and Rams Offense SUCKED so of course his production fell off. Holt runs excellent routes and has great hands. Imagine Holt with the K. Warner and the Cardinals. WOW

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's be real, last year I remember games like the OAK and SEA games where the passing game was almost non-existent, and this was with the QB w/the most experience in the league. Now what is it gonna be like without Coles and Favre? I want the young guy (whoever it is) at QB to have as much help as possible and help build his confidence so I wouldn't mind bringing in a VET like Holt...hey they can't any worse off then they are now at WR (I think) I just wanna give Ratty or KC a fighting chance

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maclin is projected to go between picks 22-25 as far as I read...Has something changed I don't know about?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this point I think the Jets would be looking more to the draft or possibly trading for Braylon Edwards rather than taking a chance on a declining vet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3039603]At this point I think the Jets would be looking more to the draft or possibly trading for Braylon Edwards rather than taking a chance on a declining vet.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough but just adding a rookie won't be enough. Our young QB would one reliable receiver then and that would be Cotchery. Clowney, Stuckey, the rookie - they all might produce one way or the other or even surprise the hell out of us. But you just can't bank on that, it's the recpie for failure. As already mentioned numerous times, getting an experienced guy like Holt, even at this point in his career, could be tremendous for our young QB. Even if he "only" gives us about 800 yards and about 70 receptions, that's still light years ahead of what we can expect of either of the above mentioned kids. It would do wonders for a young QBs confidence if he knows that he has a future hall of famer on one side of the field on third down or in critical situations. As I said though, we need to make sure Holt is down with whatever we are planning to do and that he will buy into the team and give his best effort. With him though (unlike with Favre) I see no problem regarding that...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Henry Ellard , our new WR coach has worked with Holt for a number of years. it's gonna be his call

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetOrange;3039608]Henry Ellard , our new WR coach has worked with Holt for a number of years. it's gonna be his call[/QUOTE]

Good observation. I am not against bringing in Holt to take some heat off Cotchery. But for a bargain price.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=John_0515;3039455]Just drove with my brother, and John Clayton was on saying that [B]the [U]Jets [COLOR=red]may[/COLOR] be a suitor[/U][/B] for Torry Holt pending what's going to happen with him in St. Louis. [/quote]

This is pure speculation on Clayton's part.

That said, I would only want him for the short money.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could take a chance for a year or two, but he is right at the decline stage now. The question is does he have one last year where he can put up 1100 yards. If he does you make the move. If not I dont think there is a point to it. The other thing you have to consider is how Holt will react to a run-first offense and a coach he may or may not like. Holt was culprit number 1 in what went on in St. Louis these last two years.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;3039597]Maclin is projected to go between picks 22-25 as far as I read...Has something changed I don't know about?[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you've read, but he's pretty much a consensus top-15 pick, and very likely to go higher. Obviously there's a [B]chance[/B] that he could fall, but no one would ever tell you that you could trade back for picks and have a remote chance of drafting him.

Scott Wright has him going #7
    [url]http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3039642]You could take a chance for a year or two, but he is right at the decline stage now. The question is does he have one last year where he can put up 1100 yards. If he does you make the move. If not I dont think there is a point to it. The other thing you have to consider is how Holt will react to a run-first offense and a coach he may or may not like. Holt was culprit number 1 in what went on in St. Louis these last two years.[/QUOTE]

So then who else is out there that we could get?!? Right now we have ONE wide receiver who had more than 500 yards in a season and that is Cotchery. Stuckey had 350 or something in his first year, Clowney had 1 career catch. Forget Brad Smith. Good luck for ANY QB to do something with this receiving coprs, even if we have Keller. One receiver in the draft who will also be unproven is not enough.

Make no mistake about it, running and all is fine but we will still have to pass the ball on third down and to keep defenses honest. And I see NO CHANCE at all for our QBs to have success in these situations when their only true options are Cotchery, Keller and a rookie wideout...