Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN Radio: John Clayton - Holt possibly to Jets

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be excited if we could add Holt for the right price. I don't think he is done and believe his presence would help our young QB situation, I also think we should be taking the best D line man available that being said adding Holt I think will free us up to take the best player available when we pick and I hope it will be a pass rusher. I am in the school that the pass rush is the most important part of your D especially with some of the offenses in our Division, we are going to need a pass rush to disrupt some of these QB/WR tandems, I am very happy with the improvements so far and feel we are only a move or 2 away from being very dangerous. This of course depends on our QB play, but I am hoping either one of Clemens or Ratliff can step up and at least be the type of low mistake game manager that we would need.

Worm

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SUJets1988;3039464]It would provide us some more freedom in the draft, if we were going to take a QB (Sanchez). It would also help bridge the gap if we were going WR at 17 too. A rookie WR would not be of that much help to a Clemens/Ratliff, and a veteran in Holt would help things out.

That said, I surely hope it's only if he is released. I can't see reason in giving up that high of a pick ( > 5th round) for Holt.[/QUOTE]

+ 1 rookie wr usually take 2-3 years to really come into there own

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3039457]I don't buy it....Holt's clearly lost a step and would go against everything we've done so far this offseason, which suggests more of a long-term plan in mind. (Hence why we avoided someone like Ray Lewis for someone like Bart Scott).[/QUOTE]
    don't agree wholeheartedly... don't think we avoided lewis so much as we just wanted Scott more as the better player -- for now - and the future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Big Worm;3039649]I would be excited if we could add Holt for the right price. I don't think he is done and believe his presence would help our young QB situation, I also think we should be taking the best D line man available that being said adding Holt I think will free us up to take the best player available when we pick and I hope it will be a pass rusher. I am in the school that the pass rush is the most important part of your D especially with some of the offenses in our Division, we are going to need a pass rush to disrupt some of these QB/WR tandems, I am very happy with the improvements so far and feel we are only a move or 2 away from being very dangerous. This of course depends on our QB play, but I am hoping either one of Clemens or Ratliff can step up and at least be the type of low mistake game manager that we would need.

Worm[/QUOTE]

Good point about the passrush... as it seems this seems to be a very deep draft in terms of OLB and pass rushing prospects (Ayers, Brown, Sintim, English, Orakpo, Maybin, Sidbury, Barwin etc.) and when a stud falls into our hands, why not go with a terrific passrusher...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holt is not done.

I watched him play last year. His numbers were hurt by the fact that there is NO offensive line in STL and Bulger has played shell-shocked for the past 2 years.

Holt can still beat guys deep, he can still run great routes, he can still make the catches. I'll take him for the right price...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;3039530]The Giants took our garbage and won a SB with it.When are we gonna give our kids the chance to prove that what they show just might be the real deal.Henry showed great hands last yr,and with his size,i give him a shotbehind Cotch Stuckey and Clowney.Behind them,we have 2 of the best ST players in the league at WR in Wright and Smith.If the kid we bring in can't play ST and doesn't have a special dimension,that why even bother.A Player i like late is the kid from Nevada Marko Mitchel who's big and fast.Instant STeamer who we can develop.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% Tinny..Henry is in his 2nd year and the other 2 have time in the system..Cotch never got a chance till Mangini came in, it's time to see what the young guys can do..Chasing other teams over the hill players is why we never get anywhere..Also take a w/r in the Draft..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Integrity28;3039682]Holt is not done.

I watched him play last year. His numbers were hurt by the fact that there is NO offensive line in STL and Bulger has played shell-shocked for the past 2 years.

Holt can still beat guys deep, he can still run great routes, he can still make the catches. I'll take him for the right price...[/QUOTE]

most definitely.

and ellard has insight here...

i'd like to see it happen.

-gives us that much more flexibility for the draft as well...

also IMO he's the best available - hands down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    and rooks don't normally come in lighting it up.... 1-3 years in most cases as far as development...

that said, some rooks do come in and explode -obviously... and this looks like a great class for wideouts.

Regardless, I'm on board for holt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3039688]I agree 100% Tinny..Henry is in his 2nd year and the other 2 have time in the system..Cotch never got a chance till Mangini came in, it's time to see what the young guys can do..Chasing other teams over the hill players is why we never get anywhere..Also take a w/r in the Draft..[/QUOTE]

Checkout my mock in the draft Forum.I think the Jets need to trade down and bad.Here's the senario i would love to see play out.The Lions take Stafford.The Niners take Sanchez and at 17,Andre Smith is sitting on the board.Do the Eagles need an OT or Has Herm cooked his last Hotdog on the sidelines.

I want Freeman,and I know the Eagles want an OT and a RB.They can come away with Smith and either Shonn Green or 1 of the 2 Brown boys at 52 and 53 while we grab Freeman and Harvin at 21 and 28.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;3039713]Checkout my mock in the draft Forum.I think the Jets need to trade down and bad.Here's the senario i would love to see play out.The Lions take Stafford.The Niners take Sanchez and at 17,Andre Smith is sitting on the board.Do the Eagles need an OT or Has Herm cooked his last Hotdog on the sidelines.

I want Freeman,and I know the Eagles want an OT and a RB.They can come away with Smith and either Shonn Green or 1 of the 2 Brown boys at 52 and 53 while we grab Freeman and Harvin at 21 and 28.[/QUOTE]

I like Freeman also just like I liked Flacco last year..:yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOHNNY JOHNSON;3039700]and rooks don't normally come in lighting it up.... [B]1-3 years in most cases as far as development[/B]...

that said, some rooks do come in and explode -obviously... and this looks like a great class for wideouts.

Regardless, I'm on board for holt.[/QUOTE]

In the past that has been the case but I think the development curve has been cut down. I'm not sure the reason but look at Desean Jackson, Limas Sweed, Donnie Avery, and Eddie Royal. All 2nd rounders who played very well last season. Any of the first round caliber receivers in this draft are capable of making an impact day one.

So, in terms of signing Holt...first off, Ellard (our new WR coach) knows if hes worth bringing over. Personally, I would only support doing so if we still selected a WR in the first round this year. If we don't we are just procrastinating the inevitable and not building for the future. Holt will be 33 when the season starts and WR will continue to be an issue since he only has so much left in the tank. Also, to have "Big Game" Torry Holt tutor our young premier prospect adds a ton of value to the signing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree - any playing time for Holt would take away from a WR we draft this year, and he looks old. Pass.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we're going to trade for a receiver whose name has been bantied about, I'd rather it be Braylon Edwards. :yes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;3039751]If we're going to trade for a receiver whose name has been bantied about, I'd rather it be Braylon Edwards. :yes:[/QUOTE]

+1

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would be pretty cool to have Holt and Cotchery on the same team. Cotchery broke a lot of Holt's records at NC State.

Holt has a LOT of good games left in him. Whatever team picks him up on the cheap will be getting a bargain.

I think Holt + WR in the first round would go a long way in helping our neophyte QB.l

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;3039751]If we're going to trade for a receiver whose name has been bantied about, I'd rather it be Braylon Edwards. :yes:[/QUOTE]

League leader in dropped passes. Just sayin'

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ryan10;3039651]+ 1 rookie wr usually take 2-3 years to really come into there own[/QUOTE]

How about UDFA Wayne Chrebet in his first 2 years with 150 receptions and over 1600 yds on terrible teams?? :yes: Players need a chance and Hermie and a lot of posters here just hate giving them a chance..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holt would be a great addition and fit for this team.

As it currently stands, we have one WR on our roster with meaningful starting experience in the NFL. Throw in a young, inexperienced QB and we have a recipe for disaster. Drafting a WR will not help us with experience one bit!

Holt is not the same player he was in his prime, but he still can add some valuable experience and production to our roster. We need a VET receiver on this team who can be a security blanket and confidence builder to our young QB's.

Of course, he would have to come at the right price.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;3039789]Holt would be a great addition and fit for this team.

As it currently stands, we have one WR on our roster with meaningful starting experience in the NFL. Throw in a young, inexperienced QB and we have a recipe for disaster. Drafting a WR will not help us with experience one bit!

Holt is not the same player he was in his prime, but he still can add some valuable experience and production to our roster. We need a VET receiver on this team who can be a security blanket and confidence builder to our young QB's.

Of course, he would have to come at the right price.[/QUOTE]

let's also not forget, he's 32, Coles is 31 and nobody thought twice about losing him before he got cut. It's not like he's 35 and we sign him to a 1 year 6.5 million dollar deal or something.....:rolleyes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=chesapeakejet;3039783]League leader in dropped passes. Just sayin'[/quote]

I'd be willing to take the chance Ches. I think a change of scenery may do wonders for this guy (Edwards). I'm afraid Holt is becoming more of a possession receiver as he gets older. We have a couple of those already. I'd rather have the 6' 3" receiver who can stretch the field.