Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schottenheimer Says the Next Jet QB is on the Roster

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Schottenheimer Says the Next Jet QB is on the Roster

Green bleeders in the NY area who tuned into the premier episode of JETS NATION got some up close and personal time with Offensive Coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer who gave some insight on the three Jet QB candidates, Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, and Erik Ainge.

During Shotty’s interview with Steve Overmyer, he said Kellen and Ratty have an edge over Erik in this season’s open competition. Elaborating on each candidate, he went on to say that Kellen has been in the system the longest and has a quick release needed to beat the blitz.

Ratty possesses a very strong arm and good pocket presence that helps him escape when necessary. Erik has a good commitment to pick up the system. When asked if the Jets starting QB was on the roster, Shotty answered, “Yes.” He then went on to say that there’s something to be said of having three hungry guys on the roster. He feels that, at some point, you must give one of them a shot.

So there you have it. The Jets are committed to choosing their QB from within their roster. It’s full steam ahead. Believe it. That is, until you find out that the Jets are privately working out QB Mark Sanchez before his pro day…here we go again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=JOHNNY JOHNSON;3039871]Green bleeders in the NY area who tuned into the premier episode of JETS NATION got some up close and personal time with Offensive Coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer who gave some insight on the three Jet QB candidates, Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, and Erik Ainge.

During Shotty’s interview with Steve Overmyer, he said Kellen and Ratty have an edge over Erik in this season’s open competition. Elaborating on each candidate, he went on to say that Kellen has been in the system the longest and has a quick release needed to beat the blitz.

Ratty possesses a very strong arm and good pocket presence that helps him escape when necessary. Erik has a good commitment to pick up the system. When asked if the Jets starting QB was on the roster, Shotty answered, “Yes.” He then went on to say that there’s something to be said of having three hungry guys on the roster. He feels that, at some point, you must give one of them a shot.

So there you have it. The Jets are committed to choosing their QB from within their roster. It’s full steam ahead. Believe it. That is, until you find out that the Jets are privately working out QB Mark Sanchez before his pro day…here we go again.[/quote]

I'll take the very strong arm and good pocket presence. Thank you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOHNNY JOHNSON;3039871]Green bleeders in the NY area who tuned into the premier episode of JETS NATION got some up close and personal time with Offensive Coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer who gave some insight on the three Jet QB candidates, Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, and Erik Ainge.

So there you have it. The Jets are committed to choosing their QB from within their roster. It’s full steam ahead. Believe it. That is, until you find out that the Jets are privately working out QB Mark Sanchez before his pro day…here we go again.[/QUOTE]

Good summary, just a few things as well.

When they asked Ray Lucas and Greg Buttle about who the starting QB is, Buttle said Clemens by a mile, and Ray Lucas agreed with him, BUT Lucas said watch out for this Ratliff kid because he's got some unique abilities.

Also mentioned Bart Scott coming over here to be our Ray Lewis.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOHNNY JOHNSON;3039871]Green bleeders in the NY area who tuned into the premier episode of JETS NATION got some up close and personal time with Offensive Coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer who gave some insight on the three Jet QB candidates, Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, and Erik Ainge.

So there you have it. The Jets are committed to choosing their QB from within their roster. It’s full steam ahead. Believe it. That is, until you find out that the Jets are privately working out QB Mark Sanchez before his pro day…here we go again.[/QUOTE]

Good. Now maybe we can stop with all the g'damn "Jets should bring in vereran QB XYZ" threads.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully we are working out Sanchez for that smokescreen effect. Maybe a couple teams in front of us will take him since they like trying to sign our free agents out from under us.

At least that is the plan I'm sticking with. I also think that if this plan can work we will trade up to get Crabtree instead of letting the Raiders grab him at #7, oh wait that was a smokescreen as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=John_0515;3039878]Good summary, just a few things as well.

When they asked Ray Lucas and Greg Buttle about who the starting QB is, Buttle said Clemens by a mile, and Ray Lucas agreed with him, BUT Lucas said watch out for this Ratliff kid because he's got some unique abilities.

Also mentioned Bart Scott coming over here to be our Ray Lewis.[/quote]

As a Penn Stater, I'll always like Greg Buttle but to say "Clemens by a mile" is idiotic. I think the hair dye is soaking into his brain.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3039878]Good summary, just a few things as well.

Also mentioned Bart Scott coming over here to be our Ray Lewis.[/QUOTE]

im gonna go out on a limb here but id be shocked if clemens is the starting qb of the jets for the 2009 season...then again...the same could be said on 3.9.08 if you told me it'd be Brett Favre:eek: soo i guess we'll see

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;3039885]As a Penn Stater, I'll always like Greg Buttle but to say "Clemens by a mile" is idiotic. I think the hair dye is soaking into his brain.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was a bit much too, since the QB thing isn't close to clear.

Lucas was more optimistic about Ratliff. I'm sure they'll play it again.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Area52;3039881]Hopefully we are working out Sanchez for that smokescreen effect.[/QUOTE]

It means absolutely nothing that the Jets are working out Sanchez, it's called due dilligence.

If you remember, the Jets did the same exact thing when Leinhart came out.
    Had Leinhart come to Hofstra for a private workout. Leinhart was on the board when the Jets picked, and they passed on him and wound up taking Clemens in the 2nd round.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the show. Good interview with Schott on the QBs.

After the interview they cut back to the studio with Brian Custer, Ray Lucas and Greg Buttle. Custer asked them who they thought would get the job. Both said Clemens, hands down.

They showed an interesting graphic on Clemens, showing his stats based on each part of the field under 10 yards and over 10 yards. Clemens had excellent stats throwing to his right side under 10 yards (4 TDS, no picks). Ray Lucas explained that the reason for that is that's the part of the field that's directly in front of him where he could get rid of the ball quickly. He said with more experience and better blocking up front (Lucas stressed that the '07 O-Line was terrible) Clemens should be able to improve greatly.

Take it for what it is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodKeyWestJetsFan;3039894]It means absolutely nothing that the Jets are working out Sanchez, it's called due dilligence.

If you remember, the Jets did the same exact thing when Leinhart came out.
    Had Leinhart come to Hofstra for a private workout. Leinhart was on the board when the Jets picked, and they passed on him and wound up taking Clemens in the 2nd round.[/QUOTE]

you forgot the part where we tried to trade up for leinart first. ;)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have three quarterbacks, you have no quarterback.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

good news

I agree, give the kids a shot. As far as Sanchez, if he is there the Jets can consider taking him - if they think he is a starting QB it would make sense. But, if another team wants him badly the Jets can trade down and get some more picks. They still need a starting WR, a DE that can disrupt, a backup NT ( I think Pouha would be a better DE in a 3-4) and a TE to play with Keller.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Big L;3039880]Good. Now maybe we can stop with all the g'damn "Jets should bring in vereran QB XYZ" threads.[/quote]

Yeah. Right. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty cool to be allowed to see and hear from the coaching staff now that Mangini is gone.

But to he honest, did anyone expect to hear Shotty say, "no, all our QB's suck, we'll address the position later"????

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3039913]If you have three quarterbacks, you have no quarterback.[/QUOTE]

yes, but if you have really smart scientists, you can combine your three quarterbacks:

- Kellen Clemens: quick release, evasiveness, toughness

- Brett Ratliff: size, big arm, pocket presence

- Erik Ainge: uh... err... um, steroids?

and create one legit super QB :yes:

[IMG]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh250/crawful82/1216960802422.gif[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Ratty possesses a very strong arm and good pocket presence that helps him escape when necessary. Erik has a good commitment to pick up the system. [B]When asked if the Jets starting QB was on the roster, Shotty answered, “Yes.” He then went on to say that there’s something to be said of having three hungry guys on the roster. He feels that, at some point, you must give one of them a shot.[/B]

I know it might not produce the results we want this year, but this is the right approach.

Lets see what we have on this roster, especially with Clemens. I am one of those who give him a pass for 07 because we sucked that year at almost every position.

Clemens is a second round pick, who if he wasn't injured late in his senior year, might have been a first rounder. This is his third year in the system and we've got a serious running game and a very good offensive line. Furthermore, the defense will take loads of pressure off whoever is behind center. The QB doesn't have to put the entire team on his shoulders.

Essentially we need someone who can throw the ball about 20 times a game and lead the offense to 20 points.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;3039963]I know it might not produce the results we want this year, but this is the right approach.

Lets see what we have on this roster, especially with Clemens. I am one of those who give him a pass for 07 because we sucked that year at almost every position.

Clemens is a second round pick, who if he wasn't injured late in his senior year, might have been a first rounder. This is his third year in the system and we've got a serious running game and a very good offensive line. Furthermore, the defense will take loads of pressure off whoever is behind center. The QB doesn't have to put the entire team on his shoulders.

Essentially we need someone who can throw the ball about 20 times a game and lead the offense to 20 points.[/QUOTE]

His upside, as Schotty said is the quick release...

For botched play action blocks (which he's fairly good at the PA pass) it helps a lot. Ratliff doesn't have a slow delivery by any means either though.

May the best man win :)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This competition will be bloody.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Dirtstar;3039922]
    - Kellen Clemens: quick release, [B]evasiveness[/B], toughness

:yes:

[/quote]

Clemens started 8 games in '07 and was sacked 27 times.

I've never considered him to be evasive.

Yeah I know swiss cheese OL yada yada.