Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Schottenheimer Says the Next Jet QB is on the Roster

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;3039973]Clemens started 8 games in '07 and was sacked 27 times.

I've never considered him to be evasive.

[B]Yeah I know swiss cheese OL yada yada.[/B][/QUOTE]

umm... OK :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Dirtstar;3039979]umm... OK :rolleyes:[/quote]

Pennington was sacked 26 times (one less sack than Clemens) in the 8 games he started with the same OL. I guess he's evasive too?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOHNNY JOHNSON;3039911]you forgot the part where we tried to trade up for leinart first. ;)[/QUOTE]

A rumor that was never substantiated.

If they were sold on Leinhart and were convinced he was the QB for the Jets, they would have took him at # 4.

That's the bottom line.

Obviously they passed on him and that says it all.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a little suprised at how much confidence they're showing in the Young QB's....publicly saying the next Jet QB is already on the roster is a pretty bold step. Usually they like to keep their true opinions close to the vest.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3039987]I'm a little suprised at how much confidence they're showing in the Young QB's....publicly saying the next Jet QB is already on the roster is a pretty bold step. Usually they like to keep their true opinions close to the vest.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they don't want to air publicly how desperate they really are for fear that a potential trade partner may use that information against them.

Just a thought.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Roger Vick;3039992]Maybe they don't want to air publicly how desperate they really are for fear that a potential trade partner may use that information against them.

Just a thought.[/quote]

That makes sense. :yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;3039973]Clemens started 8 games in '07 and was sacked 27 times.

I've never considered him to be evasive.

[B]Yeah I know swiss cheese OL yada yada[/B].[/QUOTE]

Got to love how you've somehow decided that the guys who block the guys trying to sack the QB don't really factor into the equation here.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait...what about Chad?

EDIT: Whew...I had so much trouble setting my clocks ahead that somehow I ended up in 2008 for a moment.

Close one.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This means two things, both of which we already know.

1. There are no veterans out there that increase the quality of the position enough to warrant hindering the progress of these three guys.

2. There are no QBs in this draft that will be available when the Jets pick that they can count on starting opening day this year.

This does not mean they won't consider taking Sanchez, Freeman, Davis, etc. It just means that Clemens will battle Ratliff for the starting spot this summer.

The Jets almost HAVE to bring in a rookie because Clemens is a FA at the season's end. If Clemens starts and finishes this season, we won't know what we have in Ratliff at all. Then we will end up having to overpay Clemens.

Either extend Clemens for one more season, (if he excels as the starter, then we can work out a longer deal 1 year prior to him hitting the open market, if he sucks, cut him at the end of the year), or

give the spot to Ratliff using Clemens as the back-up - emergency plan.

IMO, if Clemens starts and we don't have someone legitimate to compete with Ratliff in 2010 (no offense to Ainge fans but he hasn't done anything yet to warrant serious consideration), we are going to get burned.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Chica me Tipo;3039998]Got to love how you've somehow decided that the guys who block the guys trying to sack the QB don't really factor into the equation here.[/quote]

My only point is that Clemens is not "evasive." Pennington had one less sack in the same number of games with the same OL and I don't think any of us are delusional enough to consider Pennington "evasive."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;3040001]My only point is that Clemens is not "evasive." Pennington had one less sack in the same number of games with the same OL and I don't think any of us are delusional enough to consider Pennington "evasive."[/QUOTE]

My point was that the O-line probably has something to do with that.

I have no idea how you've come to any conclusions on a then 24 year old making his first 8 starts behind one of the worst teams and O-lines in the league. Especially since both of his WR's were injured at the time.
    Last edited by Chica me Tipo; 03-09-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;3039985]Pennington was sacked 26 times (one less sack than Clemens) in the 8 games he started with the same OL. I guess he's evasive too?[/QUOTE]

when a first-time starter gets sacked the same number of times as an 8-year veteran with 10 times the field awareness, i'd say the young kid is doing a fairly decent job of not getting himself killed.

but hey, you've already got your mind made up on this subject, so let's just drop it here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;3040001]My only point is that Clemens is not "evasive." Pennington had one less sack in the same number of games with the same OL and I don't think any of us are delusional enough to consider Pennington "evasive."[/QUOTE]

As bad as the line was I wasn't thrilled with Clemens "pocket presence" I hope he has improved himself in that department but it is hard when you've been on the bench since that horrible year....also to keep in mind that Pennington may have been sacked as much as KC that year but Penny was and is a Vet and had an advantage of pre-snap D reads which had to help him get rid of the ball quicker but I'm being optomistic that KC can take the next step and will turn into a good QB and if he struggles again I will definatley be in favor of giving Ratty a fair shot too.......may the best man win

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Imo Kellen Clemens will be the starter come opening day, but i do like hearing that they are so high on Ratlif. If Mark Sanchez is there at # 17 the Jets have to take him, i am tired of them passing on "potential" fracnchise QB's year after year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Chica me Tipo;3040011]My point was that the O-line probably has something to do with that.

I have no idea how you've come to any conclusions on a then 24 year old making his first 8 starts behind one of the worst teams and O-lines in the league. Especially since both of his WR's were injured at the time/[/quote]

[quote=Dirtstar;3040018]when a first-time starter gets sacked the same number of times as an 8-year veteran with 10 times the field awareness, i'd say the young kid is doing a fairly decent job of not getting himself killed.

but hey, you've already got your mind made up on this subject, so let's just drop it here.[/quote]

Hey. All I'm saying is I personally don't consider the kid evasive. People make all kinds of excuses for him. That's fine. Evasive is not a trait I would apply to Kellen Clemens.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;3040041]Hey. All I'm saying is I personally don't consider the kid evasive. People make all kinds of excuses for him. That's fine. Evasive is not a trait I would apply to Kellen Clemens.[/QUOTE]

Excuses?

So...a QB's job is to make something out of nothing with little help beyond his skill and majesty?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOHNNY JOHNSON;3039871]Green bleeders in the NY area who tuned into the premier episode of JETS NATION got some up close and personal time with Offensive Coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer who gave some insight on the three Jet QB candidates, Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, and Erik Ainge.[/QUOTE]

You have any idea if there will be a replay on this? :confused:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3040053]Excuses?

So...a QB's job is to make something out of nothing with little help beyond his skill and majesty?[/QUOTE]

it's just people opinions. it doesn't mean anything. No one knows what's going to happen here. Ratliff is an unknown, just like Clemens was 3 years ago when everyone was calling him the next Brady. In 3 years I'll be writing the same post but replacing Clemens with Ratliff and inserting a new name.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    If they really want to go that route, throwing s**t against the wall and hoping one of the turds sticks, which I don't agree with, they better hope that RR can build not just an elite defense, but an All-Time great defense (as in 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, etc). As long as Brady and Belichick are in our division, we're at a huge disadvantage.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Chica me Tipo;3040053]Excuses?

So...a QB's job is to make something out of nothing with little help beyond his skill and majesty?[/quote]

I wasn't singling you out. But tell me, what evidence is there that Clemens is evasive?