Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Schottenheimer Says the Next Jet QB is on the Roster

Banned
    I really hope Ratliff gets a chance to play with the 1st string offense in the preseason games. The starting job is Clemens' to lose unless he completely tanks it in TC and preseason (which is possible). I really want to see how Rat does against a real NFL defense.

Hall Of Fame

Schottenheimer Says the Next Jet QB is on the Roster

What would you expect him to say ??

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jordy;3039973]Clemens started 8 games in '07 and was sacked 27 times.

I've never considered him to be evasive.

Yeah I know swiss cheese OL yada yada.[/QUOTE]

I agree, Clemens just doesn't seem to have it. BUT, I brought that up to another fan and we discussed Eli's first 2 years, he didn't look the part either.

So who knows, I am satisfied that we are looking within and not "outside".

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;3040080]What would you expect him to say ??[/QUOTE]

Best post of the thread

i think it's good that all 3 have been given a vote of confidence. during the mini camps they'll all be thinking they have a shot and we should see the cream rise. i also think clemens is the favorite. no reach here. it's just that he was picked by tannenbaum and mangini and you have to figure that schotty had some input. schotty may have some attachment to clemens.

Banned

If Tanny said otherwise he would lose all of his leverage in negotiations for a trade, contract for FA or contract for Sanchez or Josh Freeman if we drafted one of them. I think the Jets FO is really in love with Clemens/Rat though.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    EVERYTHING an NFL coach says should have this footnote:

*-at this VERY point in time.

All League
    [quote=PaPZ187;3040032]As bad as the line was I wasn't thrilled with Clemens "pocket presence" I hope he has improved himself in that department but it is hard when you've been on the bench since that horrible year....also to keep in mind that Pennington may have been sacked as much as KC that year but Penny was and is a Vet and had an advantage of pre-snap D reads which had to help him get rid of the ball quicker but I'm being optomistic that KC can take the next step and will turn into a good QB and if he struggles again I will definatley be in favor of giving Ratty a fair shot too.......may the best man win[/quote]

An important part of pocket presence is having a mental picture of where everone is around you as a play develops. This includes having a feel for what is going on on your blind side. This is something that a QB either has or doesn't. You can't "learn" it. The only way it can "improve" is if you have excellent pass protection and the opposing defense isn't getting the opportunity to get behind you.

I hate this logic, people like Tannenbaum have a long history of giving long answers that tell you absolutely nothing. One of those "We'll evaluate every situation that comes up and determine if it's a good fit for our team" sort of rants. There are ways to give non-answers if you so chose.

Schottenheimer was asked a direct question and from what people are saying gave a pretty direct answer. That says something, IMO.

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3039992]Maybe they don't want to air publicly how desperate they really are for fear that a potential trade partner may use that information against them.

Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but...

A) There are zero "Franchise QB's" available via trade. Denver and Cutler want to kiss and make up, Cassel was already traded.

B) If we're looking to trade for someone to add to the competition, it would make sense that we also took looks at people like Jeff Garcia and Byron Leftwich, who are currently sitting in Free Agency. To date, we don't seem to have much interest in either.

Maybe we can't completely rule out the possibility of the draft, but it doesn't really sound like the direction we're looking to go in....

Plus, think about this for a minute. This is the Offensive Coordinator we're talking about here (Not the head coach, not the General Manager), who spent the last 3 years not talking to the media because of Mangini's boycott, you really think they're having him of all people let this bombshell out? Most likely it was a slip of the tongue from someone inexperienced with the media.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 03-09-2009 at 02:38 PM.

Whats the old saying.. If you think you have more than one starting QB on your roster.. You actually have none..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jet Blast;3040096]An important part of pocket presence is having a mental picture of where everone is around you as a play develops. This includes having a feel for what is going on on your blind side. This is something that a QB either has or doesn't. You can't "learn" it. The only way it can "improve" is if you have excellent pass protection and the opposing defense isn't getting the opportunity to get behind you.[/QUOTE]

That's not as important as what you would get with experience.

A QB has to quickly read the defense, read how the play is developing and quickly decide where to go with the ball. Inexperienced QB's hold on to the ball and hold onto the first option too long putting themselves in a position to be sacked. With experience a QB makes quicker reads, goes to his 2nd or 3rd option.

It's why you can look like you have great pocket awareness when you are playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers on D in preseason. Vanilla D, no game planning etc buys you plenty of time to look over a simple D and make an easy read. Changes once you are up against 1st stringers that hide their schemes, game plan and blitz out of different formations.

So yeah, you can improve.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Tuttle;3040034]Imo Kellen Clemens will be the starter come opening day, but i do like hearing that they are so high on Ratlif. If Mark Sanchez is there at # 17 the Jets have to take him, i am tired of them passing on "potential" fracnchise QB's year after year.[/QUOTE]

Let's examine this myth...

2008: Matt Ryan was gone and it was WAY too early to consider Joe Flacco. Didn't really have any franchise QB to take.

2007: We passed on Brady Quinn to take Darrell Revis. WIN

2006: Passed on Leinart and Cutler to take Brick. Didn't miss anything with Leinart and it was really too soon to take Cutler. We might have been hoping to trade up from 29 for Cutler but Denver made a big move up to get him at 11 so it was never really possible. Sometimes you just aren't in the right spot.

2005: Traded our 1st round pick down to a 2nd so we missed on Aaron Rogers and Jason Campbell. Rogers shows potential but he's not making anyone forget Brett Favre up in GB just yet.

2004: Manning, Rivers and Rothlisberger all gone before our pick. We didn't have a 2nd round pick so moving up ahead of PIT probably wasn't a reasonable option. We took Vilma instead of reaching for JP Losman. WIN

Basically, in the last 5 drafts, I don't see that we passed on a so-called franchise guy we should have taken, and I see a lot we passed on that turned out to be horrible.

Would I rather have a do-over in 2005, keep our 1st and take Rogers rather than Doug Jolley and Mike Nugent? Sure. But it's not like we have a consistent history of passing on franchise QBs in the 1st round.

Let's face it...if Peyton came out after his junior year, our history would have been completely different. He's the "one that got away". And it's been over 10 years so let's get over it and move on.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=John_0515;3040084]Best post of the thread[/QUOTE]

Which is why I said it on the first page of this thread\.:D

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3040072]I really hope Ratliff gets a chance to play with the 1st string offense in the preseason games. [B]The starting job is Clemens' to lose unless he completely tanks it in TC and preseason[/B] (which is possible). I really want to see how Rat does against a real NFL defense.[/QUOTE]

Are you of the belief if you say it enough times it will be true? Rex already said it was split down the middle who the organization thinks can do it. There have been a million reports on how high they are on Ratliff. Yet with all this evidence you keep on spouting this bull **** that its Kellen's job to lose unless a miracle happens. AGAIN ITS AN EQUAL COMPETITION THE BETTER QB WILL PLAY!!!

[QUOTE=nycdan;3040141]Let's examine this myth...

2008: Matt Ryan was gone and it was WAY too early to consider Joe Flacco. Didn't really have any franchise QB to take.

2007: We passed on Brady Quinn to take Darrell Revis. WIN

2006: Passed on Leinart and Cutler to take Brick. Didn't miss anything with Leinart and it was really too soon to take Cutler. We might have been hoping to trade up from 29 for Cutler but Denver made a big move up to get him at 11 so it was never really possible. Sometimes you just aren't in the right spot.

2005: Traded our 1st round pick down to a 2nd so we missed on Aaron Rogers and Jason Campbell. Rogers shows potential but he's not making anyone forget Brett Favre up in GB just yet.

2004: Manning, Rivers and Rothlisberger all gone before our pick. We didn't have a 2nd round pick so moving up ahead of PIT probably wasn't a reasonable option. We took Vilma instead of reaching for JP Losman. WIN

Basically, in the last 5 drafts, I don't see that we passed on a so-called franchise guy we should have taken, and I see a lot we passed on that turned out to be horrible.

Would I rather have a do-over in 2005, keep our 1st and take Rogers rather than Doug Jolley and Mike Nugent? Sure. But it's not like we have a consistent history of passing on franchise QBs in the 1st round.

Let's face it...if Peyton came out after his junior year, our history would have been completely different. He's the "one that got away". And it's been over 10 years so let's get over it and move on.[/QUOTE]

It's posts like this, nycdan, that makes me like you more every time. This just shows how many posts on here are made with emotions and opinion, rather than criticism and fact.

All League
    nycdan,

They have been pretty conservative with the position ever since Parcells came here. We got Vinny for nothing. Only took Pennington because we had three other #1s, etc.

We didn't want to take Leinart or Young, because D'Brick was a much safer pick. Rogers or Cutler would be good bets anywhere in the draft. They are above average QBs already and will get much better. So to pass on Cutler because he wasn't worth #4 is foolish. I don't think they EVER considered a QB with that pick. D'Brick wasn't worth #4 but we took him because the margin of error was smaller.

If we thought Ryan was the guy, we should have made StL an offer they could not have refused like this year's #1. Again, conservative.

That said, after the lack of impact last year's draft made, I seriously doubt Tanny goes out on a limb and shocks anyone on draft day. They need an immediate impact player on offense or they need to make the D elite.

Taking Sanchez IMO would be the best move for a QB in this draft, but Tanny has shown a gun-shyness when it comes to the position.

Just pray the guys we have, can play AND stay healthy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=nycdan;3040141]Let's examine this myth...

[/QUOTE]

You can still trade up or down for players you like, Tannenbaum does it almost every year, so this doesn't have much merit. Same with all the other situations you listed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=pcola;3040173]nycdan,

They have been pretty conservative with the position ever since Parcells came here. We got Vinny for nothing. Only took Pennington because we had three other #1s, etc.

We didn't want to take Leinart or Young, because D'Brick was a much safer pick. Rogers or Cutler would be good bets anywhere in the draft. They are above average QBs already and will get much better. So to pass on Cutler because he wasn't worth #4 is foolish. I don't think they EVER considered a QB with that pick. D'Brick wasn't worth #4 but we took him because the margin of error was smaller.

If we thought Ryan was the guy, we should have made StL an offer they could not have refused like this year's #1. Again, conservative.

That said, after the lack of impact last year's draft made, I seriously doubt Tanny goes out on a limb and shocks anyone on draft day. They need an immediate impact player on offense or they need to make the D elite.

Taking Sanchez IMO would be the best move for a QB in this draft, but Tanny has shown a gun-shyness when it comes to the position.

Just pray the guys we have, can play AND stay healthy.[/QUOTE]

Good post

Schotty also said we have most likely the best group of young QB's in the league and that's a nice position to be in. Why would we add another young QB to the mix? It makes no sense to me unless they don't believe in any of them. To me, a veteran is more likely than a draft pick, but don't think either is likely.