Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Schottenheimer Says the Next Jet QB is on the Roster

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;3039877]I'll take the very strong arm and good pocket presence. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

+1

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenJoe;3040638]

I agree about running and being evasive, but he was not "not evasive", he was just making a critical error that gave blitzers easy sacks. I also remember him running after being flushed from the pocket and completing passes on the run. While running ability does not make one evasive, he is both a faster runner and more evasive than Chad. Couple that with a stronger arm by at least double, and the ceiling is higher should he correct his errors.[/QUOTE]

Chad and KC were sacked about the same in 07 so they both sucked avoiding sacks..:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3040624]If we stick a Leftwich in for a year, then how will Clemens or Ratliff gain experience? I want our young QBs to play. We may not be an offensive juggernaught, but if they don't learn, the offense will never get better. We can't play QB roulette[/QUOTE]

I said you play the vet if the young guns prove they can't get it done. Playing a guy who sucks doesn't help anyone. Playing a guy who sucks doesn't mean he will become a good QB. No matter how much we want him to.

Just saying that if at some point you find out that what you have doesn't work you have to go to plan B. Leinart and Young were bigger prospects than Clemens. The Titans and Cards had a vet in place as insurance. Both made the playoffs and the Cards went to the SB. Following your logic neither happens. Bet no on in Tenn or AZ are complaining that Young and Leinart aren't going to develope as quickly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3041622]I said you play the vet if the young guns prove they can't get it done. Playing a guy who sucks doesn't help anyone. Playing a guy who sucks doesn't mean he will become a good QB. No matter how much we want him to.

Just saying that if at some point you find out that what you have doesn't work you have to go to plan B. Leinart and Young were bigger prospects than Clemens. The Titans and Cards had a vet in place as insurance. Both made the playoffs and the Cards went to the SB. Following your logic neither happens. Bet no on in Tenn or AZ are complaining that Young and Leinart aren't going to develope as quickly.[/QUOTE]

In his first 5 games, Flacco threw 1 TD and 7 INTs. Did they pull him after that to put in Boller or Smith? No, they let him play and he figured it out.

No patience and keep putting in the known, like we did with Pennington (that's what Mangini did - he liked Pennington because he was steady), and we'll never know what we could have. With Pennington we knew what would happen. 10-6, playoffs, at BEST.

Clemens' and Ratliffs' problems are different than Leinart's and Young's problems. The first two work hard and WANT to play. The latter two don't have that priority.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3041636]In his first 5 games, Flacco threw 1 TD and 7 INTs. Did they pull him after that to put in Boller or Smith? No, they let him play and he figured it out.

No patience and keep putting in the known, like we did with Pennington (that's what Mangini did - he liked Pennington because he was steady), and we'll never know what we could have. With Pennington we knew what would happen. 10-6, playoffs, at BEST.

Clemens' and Ratliffs' problems are different than Leinart's and Young's problems. The first two work hard and WANT to play. The latter two don't have that priority.[/QUOTE]

+1 John...this is people's problem in general, said it countless times...no one is willing to let a player develop, ESPECIALLY a QB...they want their SB in August please...whomever the QB is..ratliff or ainge or clemens...give the damn kids a chance.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3041622]I said you play the vet if the young guns prove they can't get it done. Playing a guy who sucks doesn't help anyone. Playing a guy who sucks doesn't mean he will become a good QB. No matter how much we want him to.

Just saying that if at some point you find out that what you have doesn't work you have to go to plan B. Leinart and Young were bigger prospects than Clemens. The Titans and Cards had a vet in place as insurance. Both made the playoffs and the Cards went to the SB. Following your logic neither happens. Bet no on in Tenn or AZ are complaining that Young and Leinart aren't going to develope as quickly.[/QUOTE]

I guess I just disagree with that mindset. Nothing is gained playing a proven JAG like Leftwich. With respect, he is not Kurt Warner, he will not take a team to a Super Bowl if their #1 fails.

And second, my view for this season would be our "Plan B" should be whichever young guy didn't win the job outright. If say, Clemens wins the job and really bombs, then Ratliff gets his shot. If he bombs too, well by the point they'll be maybe a game or two left if that, and even then...play Ainge. At least then you know exactly what you have, and do not have, and can build from there accordingly. Not via aquiring yet another leftover journeyman, but by drafting a QB and developing him.

I'm sorry, I just don't see the fantasy of "Clemens/Ratliff plays, fails, and Byron Leftwich leads Jets to Super Bowl" that you see to. And yes, I'd rather give all thee of our young QB's a full shot in 2009, than watch a team lead by someone elses never-was castoff.

Call it preference if you like, is what it is. I guess I'd just be far more entertained and hopeful watching Ratliff throw to Clowney and Stuckey and Henry, than I would watching Leftwich throw to whichever veteran WR's you might be able to scrape off the scrapheap.
    Last edited by Warfish; 03-10-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3041880]I guess I just disagree with that mindset. Nothing is gained playing a proven JAG like Leftwich. With respect, he is not Kurt Warner, he will not take a team to a Super Bowl if their #1 fails.

And second, my view for this season would be our "Plan B" should be whichever young guy didn't win the job outright. If say, Clemens wins the job and really bombs, then Ratliff gets his shot. If he bombs too, well by the point they'll be maybe a game or two left if that, and even then...play Ainge. At least then you know exactly what you have, and do not have, and can build from there accordingly. Not via aquiring yet another leftover journeyman, but by drafting a QB and developing him.

I'm sorry, I just don't see the fantasy of "Clemens/Ratliff plays, fails, and Byron Leftwich leads Jets to Super Bowl" that you see to. And yes, I'd rather give all thee of our young QB's a full shot in 2009, than watch a team lead by someone elses never-was castoff.

Call it preference if you like, is what it is. I guess I'd just be far more entertained and hopeful watching Ratliff throw to Clowney and Stuckey and Henry, than I would watching Leftwich throw to whichever veteran WR's you might be able to scrape off the scrapheap.[/QUOTE]

With the exception of Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer, since 1996, all the Superbowl Champion QBs were cultivated within the franchise from early on in their careers.

No more cast offs

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3041887]With the exception of Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer, since 1996, all the Superbowl Champion QBs were cultivated within the franchise from early on in their careers.

No more cast offs[/QUOTE]

Does the name Kurt Warner ring a bell? He was that guy who won a Super Bowl with the Rams - after he played in NFL Europe and was on the Green Bay Packers. Years later cast-off boy came within one score of winning another SB.

The closest the Jets have come to winning a Lombardi trophy in 40 years was after they signed a veteran castoff Vinny Testaverde.