Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NYJ.COM: Bart, Vernon 'Are Going to Push Each Other'

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

NYJ.COM: Bart, Vernon 'Are Going to Push Each Other'

[URL="http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/963-bart-vernon-are-going-to-push-each-other-"]http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/963-bart-vernon-are-going-to-push-each-other-[/URL]

[QUOTE]03/09 — One angle I wanted to touch on with the arrival of Bart Scott was his potential influence on Vernon Gholston. I noted at the time of his signing with the Jets that Scott hails from Detroit, also the hometown of Gholston, who proudly wears the Old English D on one of his jackets. I wasn't sure if Scott was familiar with VG. Turns out he didn't know Vernon but he knew of him.

"He was a younger guy, but I followed him, I heard of him," Scott told me in our phone interview last week from his and his family's favorite Manhattan hotel. "I'm always back [to Detroit]. I'm involved with my high school. We play Cass and actually we whipped up on Cass this year. I'll make sure to inform him of that if he doesn't already know."

For anyone else who wants to know, Southeastern, Scott's alma mater, blanked Cass Tech, Gholston's old school, 40-0, in November's district final.

"We're just going to push each other, man," Scott said of the influence each will have on the other. "We have common interests and we have common goals and we have a mutual city. That's something rare. In this league, to be able to come in and make all the claims of what cities produce the best players, let's be the best we can be so our city can have an argument."[/QUOTE]

Harris is from Michigan as well so maybe this will help Scott gain some chemistry with these young players and teach them some "violence".
    Last edited by Bugg Superstar; 03-09-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loving the Scott signing more and more everyday :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'll know after this year if he's a bust or not...

He has all the tools to succeed now.

No one can say he's a bust until we see him on the field in this system, surrounded by these players and these coaches.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;3040157]We'll know after this year if he's a bust or not...

He has all the tools to succeed now.

No one can say he's a bust until we see him on the field in this system, surrounded by these players and these coaches.[/QUOTE]

I am just seething , waiting for PatfanTX to give us his Bull$hit remark.

I hope Gholston puts Brady on his ass , season ending. NOTHING would make me happier!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very down on Gholston. It seems as if he has no fire, no passion, no desire to play. Very few times did I see any kind of life in him when he played.

I hope Scott wakes him up, and pushes him to become the player he can be.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3040161]I am just seething , waiting for PatfanTX to give us his Bull$hit remark.

I hope Gholston puts Brady on his ass , season ending. NOTHING would make me happier![/QUOTE]

A freakin men

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]Michigan [IMG]http://redstatebluestate.mlblogs.com/detroit_tigers_logo.jpg[/IMG]efense[/B]:

Harris - Grad Rapids (2 hours from Detroit)
    Scott - Detroit
    Gholston - Detroit
    Pace - Georgia

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassassin;3040179][B]Michigan [IMG]http://redstatebluestate.mlblogs.com/detroit_tigers_logo.jpg[/IMG]efense[/B]:

Harris - Grand Rapids (2 hours from Detroit)
    Scott - Detroit
    Gholston - Detroit
    Pace - 69 8 Mile Rd, Detroit City, Georgia[/QUOTE]

Fixed

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassassin;3040179][B]Michigan [IMG]http://redstatebluestate.mlblogs.com/detroit_tigers_logo.jpg[/IMG]efense[/B]:

Harris - Grad Rapids (2 hours from Detroit)
    Scott - Detroit
    Gholston - Detroit
    Pace - Georgia[/QUOTE]

Wikipedia says Pace was born in Detroit. Kris Jenkins was born in Michigan as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bugg Superstar;3040196]Wikipedia says Pace was born in Detroit. Kris Jenkins was born in Michigan as well.[/QUOTE]
    I see that as well.

That's pretty crazy how our entire starting LBers all have Michigan ties.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bugg Superstar;3040196]Wikipedia says Pace was born in Detroit. Kris Jenkins was born in Michigan as well.[/QUOTE]

Great catch, thanks.

“[B][I]One can be a brother only in something. Where there is no tie that binds men, men are not united but merely lined up[/I][/B].”

We have a strong tie that binds this LINEBACKER [B][U]UNIT[/U][/B].
    Last edited by dassin; 03-09-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, since we added Bart Scott, and he's from Detroit also, Gholston will become a force this season. Randy Lange's articles were so much better when he was a regular beat writer.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully Scott can help him. But at the end of the day, it's all about Vern. How badly does he want to work?

Critical year for him. One of Ryan's best attributes seems to be putting guys in situations they can succeed in.

Gotta hope for the best.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3040161][B]I am just seething , waiting for PatfanTX to give us his Bull$hit remark.[/B]

I hope Gholston puts Brady on his ass , season ending. NOTHING would make me happier![/QUOTE]

....and he'd be right. I have some hope that Gholston has success in his sophomore campaign, but if he does, I won't attribute it to Scott being from Detroit and thereby having some connection with him. Sure, every bit counts, but its not as if they speak a different langauge. Its not like a Japanese dude in baseball coming over not speaking the language or knowing the culture and having another Japanese guy on the team show him the ropes and take him under his wing.

In this situation, the first time they hang out its "hey, remember that joint down on third street? Not really....Ok, cool."

I agree with the sentiment in the last part of your post, no matter what its attributed to.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3040165]I'm very down on Gholston. It seems as if he has no fire, no passion, no desire to play. Very few times did I see any kind of life in him when he played. [/QUOTE]

I saw the same thing John and I put part of the blame on Mangini. The kid's introduction to professional football was a flat, emotionless coach who showed no fire or passion whatsoever. Who do rookie's look to for leadership if not the head coach? Gholston's play reflected the coaching style. I believe this will all change now that we have an old-school football coach leading our team instead of some paranoid robot.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3040161]I am just seething , waiting for PatfanTX to give us his Bull$hit remark.

Ok, I'll fill in for TX in his absence. For you to be happy then, Gholston would have to get his ass off the bench and AT LEAST duplicate his rookie production of ONE tackle....oh wait....that wasn't even a sack.....never mind.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3040165]I'm very down on Gholston. It seems as if he has no fire, no passion, no desire to play. Very few times did I see any kind of life in him when he played.

I hope Scott wakes him up, and pushes him to become the player he can be.[/QUOTE]

You know, I have to say, that as much as I don't want to admit it, I get the same instinctual vibe as you. Gholston hasn't shown me that he wants it. Now, let me be clear about something though.

Some guys who are physical specimens reach a point in their careers where they actually have to work hard. Some reach it later than others, but every player reaches it. It is the time when you are left with the choice to either put in the work, or pack up the bags.

I'm hoping that this is the case with VG and that he is going to find hunger in this adversity. That, for the first time in his life, he is being called a BUST. His name is being associated with the label of gross underachiever, and lazy.

I don't believe VG will fold from this challenge. But only time will tell. I do know that Scott is not going to be the one to make the decision for him. He can only push him in the right direction.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsieThrasher;3040222]I saw the same thing John and I put part of the blame on Mangini. The kid's introduction to professional football was a flat, emotionless coach who showed no fire or passion whatsoever. Who do rookie's look to for leadership if not the head coach? Gholston's play reflected the coaching style. I believe this will all change now that we have an old-school football coach leading our team instead of some paranoid robot.[/QUOTE]

Hope so, buddy.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=One Eye;3040232]You know, I have to say, [B]that as much as I don't want to admit it[/B], I get the same instinctual vibe as you. Gholston hasn't shown me that he wants it. Now, let me be clear about something though.

Some guys who are physical specimens reach a point in their careers where they actually have to work hard. Some reach it later than others, but every player reaches it. It is the time when you are left with the choice to either put in the work, or pack up the bags.

I'm hoping that this is the case with VG and that he is going to find hunger in this adversity. That, for the first time in his life, he is being called a BUST. His name is being associated with the label of gross underachiever, and lazy.

I don't believe VG will fold from this challenge. But only time will tell. I do know that Scott is not going to be the one to make the decision for him. He can only push him in the right direction.[/QUOTE]

That you get the same vibe as me, or that you get that specific vibe:P

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3040244]I heard someone ask Scott about Gholston in an interview, asked him if he would help Gholston become to reach his potential, and Scott said something to the effect of ...

"Oh believe me, we're gonna get Gholston going or [B]we're gonna die trying[/B]"

:D[/QUOTE]

May they Rest in Peace...:D
    Last edited by Vinny Patrollie; 03-09-2009 at 04:01 PM.