Thread: NYJ.COM: Bart, Vernon 'Are Going to Push Each Other'

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ham, that came off kind of fairy-tale-ish lol

No offense, just saying :)

Good story though!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll vouch, I remember reading that same story.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I second thats story I read it. You have to look it up on sportsspyder. But Seeing this from Bart is really really impressing me the LEADER WE NEED. Even if GHOLSTON IS A LAZY SOB Bart and Rex will knock that right out of him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;3040157]We'll know after this year if he's a bust or not...

He has all the tools to succeed now.

No one can say he's a bust until we see him on the field in this system, surrounded by these players and these coaches.[/QUOTE]
    I whole heartedly agree, if he can't do it in this system then he's officially a bust but i have faith VG will show up...

Call me crazy but i believe in this kid...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3040327]Its not a fairly tale, I read it in the newspaper .. I think it was a Detriot newspaper, but I'm not sure[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was an article from the Detroit Free Press... It's only accessible now, if you "buy the article" from their archives... Here's a similar article though:
    [URL="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/04/22/nfl_draft_gholston.ART_ART_04-22-08_C1_2HA0BFE.html?sid=101"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/04/22/nfl_draft_gholston.ART_ART_04-22-08_C1_2HA0BFE.html?sid=101[/URL]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3040359]Thank You too, maverick :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

I believed you, I'm just not so sure about the guy writing the story.

Seems a bit embellished but VG was a kid. He probably was lazy. Hell, I was a full blown pot head even before freshman year...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Gholston pans out and finally becomes a BEAST the Defense will be pretty dominant imo. we have everything a great D needs exept that one "dominant" pass rusher. then all we would need is some depth on the d-line

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nyctomjetsfan;3040372]I whole heartedly agree, if he can't do it in this system then he's officially a bust but i have faith VG will show up...

Call me crazy [B][U]but i believe in this kid[/U][/B]...[/QUOTE]

Other than delusional homerism, what makes you think Gholston will ever do anything in the NFL?

Last year he showed [B][U]ZERO[/U][/B] football instincts, looked to be very soft and had no desire whatsoever.

Players with that trifecta on their NFL resume do not succeed.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3041103]Other than delusional homerism, what makes you think Gholston will ever do anything in the NFL?

Last year he showed [B][U]ZERO[/U][/B] football instincts, looked to be very soft and had no desire whatsoever.

Players with that trifecta on their NFL resume do not succeed.[/QUOTE]

I can't argue with TX on this one except that hopefully someone will light a fire under his arse..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't teach heart and you can't teach motor. You also can't put the "quit" in if god left it out. Gholston quit on entirely too many plays last year and from many accounts that has been the book on him for his entire career.

So no surprises there.

He may not be a bust although I suspect very strongly that he is. Whatever he is, he is certainly a dog because we have all seen that last year.

A $40 million dollar dog at that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;3041117]You can't teach heart and you can't teach motor. You also can't put the "quit" in if god left it out. Gholston quit on entirely too many plays last year and from many accounts that has been the book on him for his entire career.

So no surprises there.

He may not be a bust although I suspect very strongly that he is. Whatever he is, he is certainly a dog because we have all seen that last year.

A $40 million dollar dog at that.[/QUOTE]

Amen, EM

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3041103]Other than delusional homerism, what makes you think Gholston will ever do anything in the NFL?

Players with that trifecta on their NFL resume do not succeed.[/QUOTE]

When they are changing positions in their NFL rookie year they do, assclown.

STFU.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3041147]When they are changing positions in their NFL rookie year they do, assclown.

[/QUOTE]

Says the biggest Jets homer on the board. :rolleyes:

Changing positions has absolutely nothing to do with football instincts, playing soft and lacking desire.

Gholston was the biggest bust in the draft last year.

Just deal with another Jets 1st round draft blunder.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3041154]Says the biggest Jets homer on the board. :rolleyes:

Changing positions has absolutely nothing to do with football instincts, playing soft and lacking desire.

Gholston was the biggest bust in the draft last year.

Just deal with another Jets 1st round draft blunder.[/QUOTE]

We all know that Gholston didn't show up his rookie year after being #6 taken, we don't need the biggest jackass on the internet, who has nothing better to do with his life than to spew his hate mongering agenda to tell us this.

Changing positions has EVERYTHING tod o with instincts, because he doesn't have any at the new position you dumb jackass.

Let's say you got fired from your job flipping burgers at the burger king, and got hired at McDonald's, but you weren't going to flip burgers, you were going to tend tot he fries, would you know how to do it? Better yet, let's say you got hired by a first class McDonald's that has a policy to serve its customers in 2 minutes or less, which means everybody is moving much faster, sort of like Gholston did in making his jump to the NFL, only he too is learning a new position.

He gets more than a year, and I want to see if Ryan uses him in the right way until he's better equipped to handle OLB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsieThrasher;3040222]I saw the same thing John and I put part of the blame on Mangini. The kid's introduction to professional football was a flat, emotionless coach who showed no fire or passion whatsoever. Who do rookie's look to for leadership if not the head coach? Gholston's play reflected the coaching style. I believe this will all change now that we have an old-school football coach leading our team instead of some paranoid robot.[/QUOTE]

I hope you are right. It worries me that I saw the same tendencies in college, despite his impressive stats.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3040327]Its not a fairly tale, I read it in the newspaper .. I think it was a Detriot newspaper, but I'm not sure[/QUOTE]

I remember it too. Disturbing thing is that this was out there -- that this was a guy who only tried when he wanted to -- and we drafted him anyway. It remains to be seen if he will get worked up again even though he hit his huge payday.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's an interesting story about Gholston

[url]http://www.ohio.com/sports/ridenour/18005394.html[/url]

There seems to be an ongoing theme in Gholstons career since high school.
    He clearly has the physical attributes to play in the nfl, but a lot of people question his desire to exceed in a violent game and a fragile psyche. I was one of the guys who thought he looked lackadaisical last year, but the more I read about him, the more I feel he is overwhelmed in a sport he doesn't have
    the killer instinct for. He seemed embarrassed too, clearly aware he has been labeled a bust. I see this guy being another Vince Young-not mentally strong enough to handle adversity.

Rex's Plan A will clearly be to coddle him and offer a lot of support. If that doesn't work and Rex has to start riding him hard, I'm not certain Gholston
    will be able to take it.

I hate to say it, but after reading about Gholston's career, I'd bet he disappoints again. Fortunately, we'll know this year, if Rex can't turn him around we'll know he's hopeless.

A few quotes from his high school coach.

''(Fobbs) wants you to kill 'em, knock 'em out and Vernon said, 'I didn't come play football to hurt anybody. I guess the game is not for me,' '' Wilcher said. ''He told us he was not coming back. "

"Because Gholston was so raw, Fobbs said he wanted him to play junior varsity to learn the game. He feared injury if Gholston led with his head while making a tackle, or that getting pounded by older players would make him quit.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3041211]

''(Fobbs) wants you to kill 'em, knock 'em out and Vernon said, 'I didn't come play football to hurt anybody. [B][U]I guess the game is not for me[/U][/B],' '' Wilcher said. ''He told us he was not coming back. "

[/QUOTE]

Friggn' unbelievable.

And the Jets used the 6th overall pick on this guy? :eek:

The Jets red flag meter must have been busted last year at draft time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3041219]Friggn' unbelievable.

And the Jets used the 6th overall pick on this guy? :eek:

The Jets red flag meter must have been busted last year at draft time.[/QUOTE]

well it was high school

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3041222]well it was high school[/QUOTE]

Based on his performance last year, he [B][U]played[/U][/B] like he was still in high school. ;)