Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NYJ.COM: Bart, Vernon 'Are Going to Push Each Other'

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3041244]Based on his performance last year, he [B][U]played[/U][/B] like he was still in high school. ;)[/QUOTE]

If you had finished high school, you could have avoided living with your mom past the age of 40 and resorting to becoming a complete jackass over the internet 24x7.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you getting on him for quitting on football in HS...you realize he kept playing and broke a 3 time Super Bowl winners school sack record with only 23 career starts?

I'm not saying Gholston is not a b*tch, cause he definitely looked like one last year. I'm saying some people don't just show up to sh*t and dominate with 100% confidence. As perfect as we all are and most NFL players are/were...maybe Gholston just needed to get his feet wet?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3041154]Says the biggest Jets homer on the board. :rolleyes:

Changing positions has absolutely nothing to do with football instincts, playing soft and lacking desire.

Gholston was the biggest bust in the draft last year.

Just deal with another Jets 1st round draft blunder.[/QUOTE]

Your scepticism is warranted, certainly, but I think you're going off the edge in declaring any player a bust after a hundred snaps at a new position in a system that messed up the rest of the linebacking crew as well and had them in coverage and read-react when they should have been attacking. I don't believe there was another rookie DE in the first couple of rounds who was converted like Gholston was last year. Only a few of them had solid stats, even without conversion.... Chris Long being the best, but he also started on a terrible team at a position he knew well. I have the feeling even Long would have been struggling if he had been used as Mangini used Gholston. He might have even been labeled a bust by certain Pats fans... ;)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;3041514]Your scepticism is warranted, certainly, but I think you're going off the edge in [B][U]declaring any player a bust after a hundred snaps at a new position in a system[/U][/B] that messed up the rest of the linebacking crew as well and had them in coverage and read-react when they should have been attacking. I don't believe there was another rookie DE in the first couple of rounds who was converted like Gholston was last year. Only a few of them had solid stats, even without conversion.... Chris Long being the best, but he also started on a terrible team at a position he knew well. I have the feeling even Long would have been struggling if he had been used as Mangini used Gholston. He might have even been labeled a bust by certain Pats fans... ;)[/QUOTE]

If Gholston was a 2nd or 3rd round pick, nobody would be saying a thing as he transitions into the NFL game.

However, the guy was the 6th overall pick in the entire draft. He produced absolutely nothing last year and couldn't even crack the starting line-up. Right now, he is considered the biggest bust in the entire draft from last season.

Can he change and become the player that the Jets expected? Sure he can, but right now, there is nothing to indicate that he will.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RIJetFan;3041171]I hope you are right. [B] It worries me that I saw the same tendencies in college[/B], despite his impressive stats.[/QUOTE]

That's why I don't buy the theory that it was somehow Mangini's fault that Gholston sucked as a rookie. He was the one prospect I didn't want, and I was far from alone - bottom line is that he did exactly what he was supposed to do. Most of the people that liked him as a prospect were blinded by his biceps and measurables. He regularly quit on plays at OSU, can't dispute that.