Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wow, LC got 9mill plus for next year!?!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsmetsrangers;3041084]+1.......I can't begrudge the guy leaving for more money, the guy played hurt and started 124 of 128 games the last 8 years despite many injuries including playing on a bad toe for a full season and multiple concussions....

Fans want their players to play hurt and through pain and want their wideouts especially to be tough over the middle, Coles gave the Jets just that...

......He could have taken games off because of the concussions and such but continued to play every week although it probably had a negative impact on his career....

In my view he earned his money for the most part and actually did the Jets a favor by letting them out of the 7 million cap hit this year....I don't blame the Jets for not wanting to give him another contract extension but it does not bother me he secured a better deal elsewhere.....[/QUOTE]

agreed. but off the field his mind was always and endlessly on his contract which gets annoying to say the least.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    esp at 31 after all these years...

but can't fault him to get his last contract. not worth it though... to me he's gotten enough money from us... not to mention the skins.

when does it end with him?

never. Lol..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOHNNY JOHNSON;3041177]agreed. but off the field his mind was always and endlessly on his contract which gets annoying to say the least.[/QUOTE]

I guess that bothers some fans, for me it was how he played on the field and what his teammates thought of him......Just 2 years ago he was voted team MVP by the players so i think he was probably a good teammate....

I would not have given him an extension either if i was the Jets because of his age and injury history but he was still an effective receiver who will need to be replaced.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsmetsrangers;3041209]I guess that bothers some fans, for me it was how he played on the field and what his teammates thought of him......Just 2 years ago he was voted team MVP by the players so i think he was probably a good teammate....

I would not have given him an extension either if i was the Jets because of his age and injury history but he was still an effective receiver who will need to be replaced.....[/QUOTE]

you've really made all good points throughout...

and I agree through and through. ;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    LC got all is money up front, 9.45 million, this looks like one and done.
    I think he gets 4.6 in his second year and 6.4 and then 6.5...What a great deal for Coles, he understood the market and his value, if I was a college player coming out in this years draft , I would look up Cole's agent, Roosevelt Barnes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3040569]F' that.

Just shows you he's looking for money.[/QUOTE]

You mean like virtually every NFL player?

OF COURSE HE'S LOOKING FOR MONEY!

And besides that, it's not like the Jets are some dynasty. Frankly, with our questions at QB, there's no guarantee the Jets will be any better than the Bengals next year.

It's not like he left, say....the Steelers -- to come to, say....the Jets -- giving up a Super Bowl ring in the process (see Alan Faneca, who I guess you also dislike for "looking for money"???).

Hell, the Bengals could be next years Cardinals (ask Calvin Pace...another one of those "looking for money" guys).

Look, I'm glad the Jets aren't paying LC $9 mil because I don't think he's worth it. But, he played hard for the Jets, and now he made a good move for himself. Good for him.
    Last edited by gaffneycatch; 03-10-2009 at 10:23 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ljr@work;3041096]... + 2 ...

... appreciate what L-C did on the field ... week in - week out ...

... L-C took his lunch pail to work every day for us ... [B]when IT was on the line we never had to worry about him failing in the clutch for us[/B] ... [B]if the ball was around him L-C would have it [/B]... even if a mac-truck to the head was to follow ...

... it was a great move getting him back in the swap for sideline santana ... unfortunately we can't invest in the wr position what he can get on the open market in the salary-cap era of football ...

... good for L-C for getting his money ...

... although his production will be missed ... good for us also ... i like how rex is distributing the cap money around ... indications are more focus on TJ between the tackles, LW around the corner, & Defense, Defense, Defense ... can't wait !! ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

Coles was a trooper but that pass from Favre in Seattle...

IMO, that's the type of ball you get paid to catch...

He's on the decline but was well respected while here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JOHNNY JOHNSON;3041145]agreed. and that's [B]always[/B] been his deal off the field. loyalty is a joke. money talks. and he was obsessed with his contract status as far as that aspect --- where loyalty clearly doesn't exist -regarding LC and most others. But again LC was obsessed to a fault compared to most other players.
    [/QUOTE]

In Coles, and most players defense. Teams don't show loyalty either, and unlike other sports, there's no guaranteed contract. Coles had $6MM guaranteed. He worked out a deal that said, hey I'm going to let you off the hook because I think I can do better, and the Jets agreed. If he was badly concussed this year and only caught 30 passes, the Jets certainly wouldn't have shown him loyalty in 2010. They would have cut his ass.

Why are players obligated to show loyalty when the teams almost never do?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3041264]In Coles, and most players defense. Teams don't show loyalty either, and unlike other sports, there's no guaranteed contract. Coles had $6MM guaranteed. He worked out a deal that said, hey I'm going to let you off the hook because I think I can do better, and the Jets agreed. If he was badly concussed this year and only caught 30 passes, the Jets certainly wouldn't have shown him loyalty in 2010. They would have cut his ass.

Why are players obligated to show loyalty when the teams almost never do?[/QUOTE]

You're right on the money (no pun intended ;)). And it's not just teams -- fans have little loyalty either (to the players, that is -- most of us have blind, unwavering loyalty to the team -- which in some cases we should probably have our heads examined for :D). Most of the time, once a guy isn't getting it done on the field, fans are ready to cast him aside without a second thought. It's just the nature of the NFL. I don't blame LC for getting what he could while the getting was good.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3041264]In Coles, and most players defense. Teams don't show loyalty either, and unlike other sports, there's no guaranteed contract. Coles had $6MM guaranteed. He worked out a deal that said, hey I'm going to let you off the hook because I think I can do better, and the Jets agreed. If he was badly concussed this year and only caught 30 passes, the Jets certainly wouldn't have shown him loyalty in 2010. They would have cut his ass.

Why are players obligated to show loyalty when the teams almost never do?[/QUOTE]

When I was growing up sports were warm and fuzzy. By "growing up" I mean before I hit 18.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3041285]When I was growing up sports were warm and fuzzy. By "growing up" I mean before I hit 18.[/QUOTE]

What can I say, professional sports is not like a snuggie

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZQ7WHw8Y[/url]