Thread: Suggestion to Improve Tourney selection

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggestion to Improve Tourney selection

I have an idea to tweak this thing to help get more deserving bubble schools in the tourney instead of teams like Arizona, Maryland and Minnesota. Here it is:

Limit the amount of tournament teams to no more than 50% of the conference.

- The Big East is loaded this year and yet they only got 7 teams so this change would not impact them at all (they would be allowed 8 max and got 7)
    - The ACC would be limited to 6 bids and Maryland would be left out.
    - Pac 10 would be limited to 5 and Arizona would be left out
    - Big 10 would be limited to 6 (rounding up for the odd number) and Minnesota would be left out.
    - Big 12 would be unaffected this year , allotted 6 got 6.

In most years ( not this year) there is a mid-major conf that has a great year, like the colonial a few years back with GMU, Hofstra, VCU. The MVC and A10 have had a few great years in recent memory. These leagues would benefit from the limit because more at-larges would be freed up for them , obviously.

This year it would leave 3 extra at large bids to go to 3 of the remaining bubble teams (Auburn , SD State , St. Mary’s , Creighton, UAB)

There will always be reason to complain. The three teams we would be leaving out were a combined 2 games under .500 in their conferences. Maryland 7-9, Arizona and Minnesota 9-9. Those three teams would have themselves to blame for not being in, more than they could blame any selection committee.

This idea just works!

And for those who want a big ten title game in football, we could round down encouraging them to add a 12th team and a football conference title game because of it LOL

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Leave a handful (3-4) of seeds to play in games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan_Johnny View Post
    I have an idea to tweak this thing to help get more deserving bubble schools in the tourney instead of teams like Arizona, Maryland and Minnesota. Here it is:

Limit the amount of tournament teams to no more than 50% of the conference.

- The Big East is loaded this year and yet they only got 7 teams so this change would not impact them at all (they would be allowed 8 max and got 7)
    - The ACC would be limited to 6 bids and Maryland would be left out.
    - Pac 10 would be limited to 5 and Arizona would be left out
    - Big 10 would be limited to 6 (rounding up for the odd number) and Minnesota would be left out.
    - Big 12 would be unaffected this year , allotted 6 got 6.

In most years ( not this year) there is a mid-major conf that has a great year, like the colonial a few years back with GMU, Hofstra, VCU. The MVC and A10 have had a few great years in recent memory. These leagues would benefit from the limit because more at-larges would be freed up for them , obviously.

This year it would leave 3 extra at large bids to go to 3 of the remaining bubble teams (Auburn , SD State , St. Mary’s , Creighton, UAB)

There will always be reason to complain. The three teams we would be leaving out were a combined 2 games under .500 in their conferences. Maryland 7-9, Arizona and Minnesota 9-9. Those three teams would have themselves to blame for not being in, more than they could blame any selection committee.

This idea just works!

And for those who want a big ten title game in football, we could round down encouraging them to add a 12th team and a football conference title game because of it LOL
    Not a bad idea. Or maybe you could require a team to finish .500 or better in conference to be eligible. That would weed out some of the same teams.

I actually thought the committee did a pretty good job this year with the exception to Arizona. The big east got some generous seeding (I thought cuse would have to beat louisville to get the 3), but if it is the toughest conference and you only take 7 (providence didn't really deserve it) then i guess you have to give them something.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan View Post
    Not a bad idea. Or maybe you could require a team to finish .500 or better in conference to be eligible. That would weed out some of the same teams.

I actually thought the committee did a pretty good job this year with the exception to Arizona. The big east got some generous seeding (I thought cuse would have to beat louisville to get the 3), but if it is the toughest conference and you only take 7 (providence didn't really deserve it) then i guess you have to give them something.
    i agree but my idea will kind of handle the .500 rule. Maryland does not belong. I am just thinking there are years where the acc gets 8 big ten 8.

I just think if you finish in the bottom half of your conference you do not belong and the tourney.

I am a Carolina fan and thought Louisville deserved a #1 but maybe not the overall #1. Since they didn't have to go to UCONN, Pitt, or Marquette. Their only impressive road win (at Nova) was off-set by getting blown out in South Bend. I also felt UConn. should have been a 2 seed based on how they finished the season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan_Johnny View Post

I am a Carolina fan and thought Louisville deserved a #1 but maybe not the overall #1. Since they didn't have to go to UCONN, Pitt, or Marquette. Their only impressive road win (at Nova) was off-set by getting blown out in South Bend. I also felt UConn. should have been a 2 seed based on how they finished the season.
    I tend to agree about Louisville, but not sure it really matters who the #1 overall really is. You guys still get to play in Carolina for 2 rounds lol.

What did you think of UNC's draw? I think its a little weird. IMO you got the toughest 8/9, but the easiest 4/5 by far.

Same thing with UCONN. I would have flip flopped them and Memphis, but being in the same region I am not sure it would make much difference anyway.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan View Post
    I tend to agree about Louisville, but not sure it really matters who the #1 overall really is. You guys still get to play in Carolina for 2 rounds lol.

What did you think of UNC's draw? I think its a little weird. IMO you got the toughest 8/9, but the easiest 4/5 by far.

Same thing with UCONN. I would have flip flopped them and Memphis, but being in the same region I am not sure it would make much difference anyway.
    Agree on Uconn and I didnt want to whine about carolina's draw but Butler is the best team in any 8/9 game in a long time. I don't understand how they are in top 20 most of the season and have a loss in their conference tourney knock them all the way down to a 9 seed.