Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shonn Greene?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to hate on Green, but Turner ran a 4.45 or something at the combine. Turner was like 5'10 230.

I think Brown is more Turner than Green. Green reminds me of Derrick Ward or Musa Smith.

Cedric Peerman.
    Last edited by Chica me Tipo; 03-24-2009 at 01:43 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't take him any higher than the 3rd/4th round. There are plenty of other RBs I'd rather have. Aside from the top guys, I'd take Peerman, Sheets, Ringer and Brown before Greene.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3054706]I wouldn't take him any higher than the 3rd/4th round. There are plenty of other RBs I'd rather have. Aside from the top guys, I'd take Peerman, Sheets, Ringer and Brown before Greene.[/QUOTE]

Javon Ringer? I can understand Peerman and Sheets because they are completely different style backs than Greene. But Javon Ringer? he has pretty much the same running style as Greene, except Greene does it better.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Post Thanks / Like
    "War Machine" in round 2..... SIGN ME UP!!!! We NEED a guy with a tough nick-name, and this guys a BEAST!!!!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9UVHTamf6w[/url] [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWZwH9VVJU[/url]

Man, tackling this guys like trying to stop a wrecking ball. He causes explosions of scattered defenders when he puts his head down.
    Last edited by Starkweather; 03-20-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Neon Leon and the War Machine" has a great ring to it.... :yes::D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i don't think they have to use anything higher than a 3rd on Greene. Andre Brown also in the 3rd or 4th would be a nice addition if they go in a different direction than RB in rounds 1 & 2.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Wallace Wright;3054010]Great post, Green Eggs and Ham.

Greene makes the most sense for us out of any back in this Draft. The low mileage on his legs make him a prime candidate for a starting job once TJ is gone.

The Shonn Greene/Leon Washington combo could be fantastic.[/quote]

Man....I've been on the Shonn Greene bandwagon for weeks now....but no one ever listens to my signature...no matter how illegal it is ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IndianaJet;3055203]Man....I've been on the Shonn Greene bandwagon for weeks now....but no one ever listens to my signature...no matter how illegal it is ;)[/QUOTE]

hahahahaa.... thats pretty funny... lol

PS.... if we were to get Maclin in the 1st, and Greene in the 2nd.... I think I'd sh!t myself.... I just don't see Maclin slipping to 17.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=iahawkeyejet;3054788]Javon Ringer? I can understand Peerman and Sheets because they are completely different style backs than Greene. But Javon Ringer? he has pretty much the same running style as Greene, except Greene does it better.[/QUOTE]

They're not the same style of back. Ringer is more of a well-rounded back, and is a threat in the passing game. A little undersized, but runs bigger than he is.

I know Greene has the ideal size and makes a nice thunder/lightning with Leon, but I think Ringer is just the better player, and I'll always take the better player first.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3054959]i don't think they have to use anything higher than a 3rd on Greene. Andre Brown also in the 3rd or 4th would be a nice addition if they go in a different direction than RB in rounds 1 & 2.[/QUOTE]

I know this isn't last year's RB class, but I do think this class is deep enough to find a very good back in the 3rd or 4th. I'd like to stay away from that position in the 1st and 2nd unless someone (Brown? McCoy?) falls to our 2nd pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Starkweather;3055257]hahahahaa.... thats pretty funny... lol

PS.... [B]if we were to get Maclin in the 1st, and Greene in the 2nd.... I think I'd sh!t myself.... [/B]I just don't see Maclin slipping to 17.[/QUOTE]

If Maclin falls to the Jets...then this can possibly happen;)

#17; Jeremy Maclin
    #52: Jarron Gibert
    #76: Shonn Greene

I'll take that in a heartbeat:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=iahawkeyejet;3052507]I've seen every game of his college career and don't see the similarities to Willie Parker. If I had to compare him to an NFL running back, the first that comes to mind is Michael Turner.

[B]I'd love to see him in Green & White, actually I'd be about as happy as could be.[/B][/QUOTE]

+1

Started touting Greene over a month ago. What I really like about him is that he's not a one dimensional straight ahead smash mouth runner. Not easy to compare to other established RBs. For one thing...he's very nimble on his feet for a big bruising style of runner. Doesn't just break tackles or run over defenders. Shonn only does that when he's exhausted all options, and is finishing off his run. But before Greene is near finished, he actually bounces off of defenders, does very effective spin moves off of them, fighting and treading water out there any way he can, til he finds a crease to shoot thru, or a corner to turn, then he rumbles to daylight. Once in the 2nd level, he can make very crisp cuts and change of direction...and has a 2nd gear that allows Shonn to break off some big runs. Several to the House. Anotherwords...this guy is explosive too. When the game is on...Greene is trying on every run to get six. Running faster then he supposedly has been timed at.

You can't teach what Shonn Greene is doing out on that field...or easily measure and evaluate it at a Combine or Pro Day either...Shonn's a very instinctive runner. And a load near 230 lbs to boot. If the Jets can get him with their 3rd pick, as some have said is possible...he's a steal.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenReaper;3055748]If Maclin falls to the Jets...then this can possibly happen;)

#17; Jeremy Maclin
    #52: Jarron Gibert
    #76: Shonn Greene

I'll take that in a heartbeat:yes:[/QUOTE]

Gilbert and Greene in 2 and 3 is an ideal situation. Maclin is a top 10 pick so that's not going to happen. But otherwise, that's a great use of the picks to address the depth.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Wallace Wright;3054010]Great post, Green Eggs and Ham.

Greene makes the most sense for us out of any back in this Draft. The low mileage on his legs make him a prime candidate for a starting job once TJ is gone.

The Shonn Greene/Leon Washington combo could be fantastic.[/QUOTE]

It's funny,but my picks and your picks match up pretty well.I also believe that Shonn Green is the best RB value wise in this draft.The reason i make that claim is due to what he offers at the next level and where i believe you can get this player.

I happen to believe that Mr Green is not coming off the board untill the 3rd round due too his size,timed speed and prior chatacter issues.Would love to land this player with the Saints pick we have in the 3rd.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is Green the new guy of the week for everyone to love?

I like Brown, Peerman, and even Ringer as better bargains.

I don't think Green goes in the first day.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3056965]Is Green the new guy of the week for everyone to love?

[B]I like Brown,[/B] Peerman, and even Ringer as better bargains.

I don't think Green goes in the first day.[/QUOTE]

I think Greene can be had in the 3rd round. And that's good value. BTW...love Brown too. He's a strong big back with good speed and hands. IMO, Brown will be a better pro player then he was at the college level. If the Jets don't draft a RB at #17, and miss out on Green in the 3rd, I hope they can get Andre.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    good pro day performance...

[URL="http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090323/SPORTS/703239936/1008"]http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090323/SPORTS/703239936/1008[/URL]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jrex;3059131]good pro day performance...

[URL="http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090323/SPORTS/703239936/1008"]http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090323/SPORTS/703239936/1008[/URL][/QUOTE]

Yes...Greene had a good Pro Day. I know there's a perception that Shonn is just a one year wonder with a poor work ethic. If Jets don't want to go RB at#17 and take Beanie Wells, then its Shonn in round three for me. He'd be a beast in our smashmouth running game.

March 23. 2009 9:50PM
    Strong Pro Day performance could push ex-Hawk up in NFL draftBy Scott Dochterman
    The Gazette
    [email]scott.dochterman@gazettecommunications.com[/email]

(Jonathan D. Woods/The Gazette)
    Iowa running back Shonn Greene jumps up after scoring a touchdown during the second quarter of Iowa's 31-10 win over South Carolina in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1 in Tampa. Fla. Greene impressed NFL scouts during his Pro Day workout Monday in Iowa City.

IOWA CITY — Former Iowa running back Shonn Greene wowed NFL scouts at Iowa's Pro Day on Monday.

Greene, a consensus All-American last fall, ran a 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds at Iowa's indoor facility. That's about .06 seconds below his time at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis last month. It could also send him up the draft charts as well.

Scouts from at least 29 NFL teams attended Iowa's Pro Day and three different NFL scouts — all of whom spoke anonymously — were excited about Greene's performance. Along with lowering his speed, Greene increased his 225-pound bench press repetitions from 19 at the combine to 23 on Monday.

"He looked good," one scout said. "Very good."

Greene, 23, is projected as a late second-round to early third-round draft choice. Many draft predictions have Greene ranked as about the fifth running back slated for the draft. That has Greene somewhat agitated.

"My take on that is I think (Ohio State's) Beanie Wells and (Georgia's) Knoshown Moreno ... I think (they) are great backs, they just had another year whereas I had only had one year to show what I could do," Green said. "Ohio State gets a lot of publicity but I don't make that as an excuse. I just do what I can do.

"If you look at the stats and all that, it will tell you that I'm the top back. You look at some of those guys that I went head-to-head with and some of them I faced the same defense, and I did much better. I'm not worried about that. Whoever takes me is going to get a good running back. That's how it goes."

Greene said he uses some of the draft projections as motivation.

"It just makes you work harder," he said. "When people don't recognize you as much, it makes you want to work harder and do much better."

Greene earned the Doak Walker Award as the nation's best running back last fall. He was the only running back to rush for more than 100 yards in every game. He finished the season with 1,850 yards and 20 rushing touchdowns, school records in both categories. Greene also earned the Big Ten's Most Valuable Player Award.

Greene announced his intentions to enter the NFL draft minutes after Iowa thumped South Carolina, 31-10, in the Outback Bowl. He has slimmed down from 235 pounds to 227 and has emphasized strength and speed in his pre-draft training.

"Just being more explosive for the 40, just getting out good and maintaining my speed," Greene said about his off-season workout program. "I've been working on my bench a lot, so that improved."

Greene has stayed in Iowa City to train, except for his combine workout. Several draftniks have downgraded Greene because of character issues. Greene was academically ineligible for the 2007 season and went to Iowa City's Kirkwood Community College before transferring back to Iowa last fall.

At the combine, Greene said, he repeated the story several times. He told scouts about his part-time job that fall delivering furniture and how it helped mature and refocus him on football.

"Nobody really asks here," he said. "I think that's pretty much under the mat now. I got that story out and everybody knows the deal with that."

Greene said he plans to keep training in Iowa City for a few more weeks then leave for his hometown of Sicklerville, N.J., shortly before the draft, which takes place April 25-26. He's unsure who might take him, and he's not focused on the possibilities right now. He grew up 30 minutes from Philadelphia and often rooted for the Eagles, but he's not picky.

"I have no idea," he said. "I've been watching (the draft) for the last three years, and it only takes one team. You never know. Hopefully I'll go as high as I can and just wait for the best."

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    bump

I'm a happy camper. For once, they actually picked one of the guys I was hoping for.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jrex;3104357]bump

I'm a happy camper. For once, they actually picked one of the guys I was hoping for.[/QUOTE]

+1... Greene was the only guy I really wanted the Jets to get.