Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lionel Messi

Lionel Messi

Anyone see his performance against Venezeula the other day? If he isn't the best footballer in the world right now I'll eat my hat. The dribble at the end of the game that nearly resulted in a goal was just amazing - Maradona said that if it went in than the crowd would be obliged to go outside and then pay to get in again.

And I got him at no. 57 in last year's All-Time Draft!! No 57! He'll be easily top 5 of all time by the time he finishes his career at this rate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9QLlZoEG4w

All League
    It was a GREAT goal, but it was the PASS by Carlitos that made it a thing of beauty.

Messi is great, but he is just another example of an extremely talented and well coached pedigree of players that Argentina produces.

Tevez, Aguerro, Messi there is NO STOPPING THEM!!!!! DALE DALE DALE!!!

Talking about the run and shot at the end of the game - end of that footage - the goals were great, but that run was beyond belief.

overrated.

Ni˝o Torres and Kaka >>>>>>> Messi

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    overrated.

he's younger than Kaka though. I think the sky is the limit for Messi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    he's younger than Kaka though. I think the sky is the limit for Messi.
    I like KaKa

overrated.

Michael Bradley>>>>all.

don't get me wrong.

Messi is a phenom, but he has a lot to do before he's in the consideration for best in the world, much less one of the best of all time like some people are already saying.

Jets Insider VIP
    overrated.

Blasphemy. If you watch any Barcelona game or Argentina, when he gets the ball with a little bit of space you sense the whole stadium (and defense) go tense. Just like Ronnie when he was at his best.
    He's a firecracker. He does everything 10 times faster than everyone.

I agree he'll have to keep it up for a while before being called the GOAT, but right now he's in a league of his own.

GAS2NO99 => If France doesn't win the next WC, I'm pulling for Argentina. Absolutely beautiful squad that deserves the crown for the way they play. I'd be pissed if someone wins it playing conservatively.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post

Blasphemy. If you watch any Barcelona game or Argentina, when he gets the ball with a little bit of space you sense the whole stadium (and defense) go tense. Just like Ronnie when he was at his best.

I agree he'll have to keep it up for a while before being called the GOAT, but right now he's in a league of his own.

GAS2NO99 => If France doesn't win the next WC, I'm pulling for Argentina. Absolutely beautiful squad that deserves the crown for the way they play. I'd be pissed if someone wins it playing conservatively.
    +1 all the way

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    +1 all the way
    So next WC you're pulling for France?

Cool

Veteran
    So next WC you're pulling for France?

Cool
    I actually liked you guys, growing up because of Platini and after thant because of Zidane, Thuram, Henry and Vieira but mostly because of your percieved hate for England.

I didn't know France-Italy was the bigger matchup.

I like all teams that don't like England; Scotland, Argentina, Eire, Les Frogs.

All League
    Thanks for the support, you have a good eye for class soccer. From one Raul (& Hunter Thompson reader/fan)to another Raoul, cheers.

yeah, yeah, he's a tremendous talent...

but what has he won???

Jets Insider VIP
    yeah, yeah, he's a tremendous talent...

but what has he won???
    Liga twice
    Champions League

Came 2nd for Golden Ball award 2008

Oh, and he's only 21.

Jets Insider VIP
    Liga twice
    Champions League

Oh, and he's only 21.
    + 2008 Olympic Gold Medal

Liga twice
    Champions League

Oh, and he's only 21.
    Liga twice?? Barša last won in '06, and he wasn't really more than a role-player at the time. that was all Ronaldinho and Eto'o. ditto for Champions in '06.

Barša is in the driver's seat for the Liga crown this year, but it's far from decided.

litsen, i'm not saying Messi sucks. he's amazing. but he's overrated. people are really excited about his talent and seeing almost a Maradona re-incarnation, and it's pushing his hype way ahead of his real accomplishments. not to take anything away from the guy, like you said, he's only 21.

but the fact is his teams (Barša/Argentina) haven't won anything since he became "The Star". let the kid earn his stripes first. plenty of time, and he will be one of the greats before all is said and done. just not quite yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Liga twice?? Barša last won in '06, and he wasn't really more than a role-player at the time. that was all Ronaldinho and Eto'o. ditto for Champions in '06.

Barša is in the driver's seat for the Liga crown this year, but it's far from decided.

litsen, i'm not saying Messi sucks. he's amazing. but he's overrated. people are really excited about his talent and seeing almost a Maradona re-incarnation, and it's pushing his hype way ahead of his real accomplishments. not to take anything away from the guy, like you said, he's only 21.

but the fact is his teams (Barša/Argentina) haven't won anything since he became "The Star". let the kid earn his stripes first. plenty of time, and he will be one of the greats before all is said and done. just not quite yet.
    Barca won in 2005 as well.

Your post maybe 2 years ago would have been true, I feel he exploded in 2008. He's really playing on a different level. We'll agree to disagree...

If Maradona doesn't screw things up, Argentina will ass rape everyone for the next few years.

All League
    If Maradona doesn't screw things up, Argentina will ass rape everyone for the next few years.
    OH YES THEY WILL!!!! Show 'em how we'll do it BANANA!!!!

Barca won in 2005 as well.

Your post maybe 2 years ago would have been true, I feel he exploded in 2008. He's really playing on a different level. We'll agree to disagree...

i LOL'd.