Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Should I buy a BMW?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mike D;3077337]There are so many motorcycle accidents down here in South Florida daily. Everyone thinks they're a stuntman on those bikes.[/QUOTE]
    Not trying to downplay bikes being dangerous, but I wouldn't call those 'accidents'. That's crashing by yourself trying to be a hotshot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mike D;3077337]There are so many motorcycle accidents down here in South Florida daily. Everyone thinks they're a stuntman on those bikes.[/QUOTE]
    There are some clowns up in NJ on the major highways, Turnpike/Parkway/195/295, riding wheelies at what has to be triple digits. I've been driving and had the **** scared out of me when a crotch rocket flies by out of nowhere at over 100.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    im in this same boat... im looking' at BMW 3 series, fully loaded... i went shopping.. stopping at Ford, GMs, its like alot of the american cars just look like ****.. then i looked at the asian cars, lexus, toyota, honda.. eghhhhhhh

idk what the hell to do.. my NEON .. yeahh is 7yrs old and dyiiing sooon... soo i neeed to figure out a move

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3077350]Not trying to downplay bikes being dangerous, but I wouldn't call those 'accidents'. That's crashing by yourself trying to be a hotshot.[/QUOTE]

Well we have plenty of idiots and plenty of accidents because of everyone else on the road in FL can't drive.

-Old people
    -Illegal Aliens with no insurance and no license.
    -Old people
    -Old people

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live in South Florida and so many people down here have BMWs that its almost uncool. I do not even notice them on the road cause everyones got one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3077378]I live in South Florida and so many people down here have BMWs that its almost uncool. I do not even notice them on the road cause everyones got one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they all have BMW's and they are all in foreclosure. But hey they have a BMW. LOL.

Yeah there is a ton of 3 and 5 series on the roads here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3076997]
    Current ride

[IMG]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7505/hondavtrfirestorm2008hv5.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Very nice Raoul.

I also own this same Black Harley Sportster 883

[url]http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/harley-davidson_xlh_sportster_883_hugger_2000.php[/url]

Got it when I turned 40, but have less than 500 miles on it. Literally take it out a few times during the spring, summer or fall, but I like my convertible more.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mike D;3077361]Well we have plenty of idiots and plenty of accidents because of everyone else on the road in FL can't drive.

-Old people
    -Illegal Aliens with no insurance and no license.
    -Old people
    -Old people[/QUOTE]

I go every year to Tampa and it never ceases to amaze me how horrible the drivers are- my buddy included. Cars whipping around each other at 95 without using signals, getting passed like your standing still when you go 80... that's not to mention all the trash... what's with the sofas, mattresses, and hefty bags on and around the highway?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3077350]Not trying to downplay bikes being dangerous, but I wouldn't call those 'accidents'. That's crashing by yourself trying to be a hotshot.[/QUOTE]

One sides note...it isn't only the hotshots that crash. It's also the older, weekend warriors who crash. The people whose kids have left home and now have money for an expensive hobby. The people who go out and buy 30k Harley's with little or no previous riding experience and who think helmets are for sissies. Streetbike riders have a tendency to push the limits in terms of "acrobatics"...but they usually have a lot more safety gear on than an accountant who rides a Road King on the weekends. Leather w/ Kevlar, full face helmets, gloves, riding boots.

[QUOTE][url]http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/582275[/url]

One contributing factor could be an increasing proportion of older motorcyclists, which corresponds to an increase in the average age of motorcycle-related fatalities: In 1997, 32 percent of such fatalities were among riders 40 years old and older, and by 2006, the proportion rose to 47 percent.

Studies continue to show wide disparities in motorcyclist fatality rates between states with and without helmet laws. NHTSA statistics released in January found that the repeal of state helmet laws has resulted in less riders wearing helmets, with helmet use dropping from 71 percent in 2000 to 51 percent in 2006. After Florida repealed its universal helmet law in 2002, motorcycle-related deaths increased by 24 percent above what officials had predicted considering the post-repeal increase in motorcycle registration.

In an overwhelming number of crashes, riders don't have the skill sets to avoid crashes or didn't have the mental strategies to plan riding activities so they don't put themselves in harm's way in the first place...[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3077419]One sides note...it isn't only the hotshots that crash. It's also the older, weekend warriors who crash. The people whose kids have left home and now have money for an expensive hobby. The people who go out and buy 30k Harley's with little or no previous riding experience and [B]who think helmets are for sissies. [/B] Streetbike riders have a tendency to push the limits in terms of "acrobatics"...but they usually have a lot more safety gear on than an accountant who rides a Road King on the weekends. Leather w/ Kevlar, full face helmets, gloves, riding boots.[/QUOTE]

That's something I'll never understand.

I think Seinfeld had a sketch on that subject saying there shouldn't be laws for helmets. If your brain isn't smart enough to tell you to put a helmet on, it doesn't deserve to be protected.

And agreed on the weekend warrior.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love watching those overrated german clunkers broken down on the side of the road, while I pass them in my Lexus.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

They have a new law in Sunrise now. If your front wheel comes off the ground even an inch at any time it's an 1100.00 fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3077419]One sides note...it isn't only the hotshots that crash. It's also the older, weekend warriors who crash. The people whose kids have left home and now have money for an expensive hobby. The people who go out and buy 30k Harley's with little or no previous riding experience and [B]who think helmets are for sissies[/B]. Streetbike riders have a tendency to push the limits in terms of "acrobatics"...but they usually have a lot more safety gear on than an accountant who rides a Road King on the weekends. Leather w/ Kevlar, full face helmets, gloves, riding boots.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3078100]That's something I'll never understand.

I think Seinfeld had a sketch on that subject saying there shouldn't be laws for helmets. If your brain isn't smart enough to tell you to put a helmet on, it doesn't deserve to be protected.

And agreed on the weekend warrior.[/QUOTE]

When I got my Harley for my 40th birthday, my wife finally relented on one condition, that I buy and use a full face helmet (which I was going to do anyway).

When I asked why, she said "So you can have an open casket and the kids can see what you look like".

Oh, teh irony. Also the main reason I don't ride much anymore, leaving behind orphans and all.

It still freaks me out (I live in NJ where helmets are mandatory but I work in CT where they are not) driving to work and seeing a-holes tooling around on their bikes without a helmet. Makes no sense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jayrad01;3078158]They have a new law in Sunrise now. If your front wheel comes off the ground even an inch at any time it's an 1100.00 fine.[/QUOTE]

That's a good start, these guys love to pull wheelies down Flamingo Road near the mall.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jayrad01;3078158]They have a new law in Sunrise now. If your front wheel comes off the ground even an inch at any time it's an 1100.00 fine.[/QUOTE]

What about the rear tire? :D (much more fun than popping a wheelie)....

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3078264]
    It still freaks me out (I live in NJ where helmets are mandatory but I work in CT where they are not) driving to work and seeing a-holes tooling around on their bikes without a helmet. Makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

Same thing in PA. I don't understand that at all, it's basically risking your life for no reason. If you fall off, you're dead. No question about it.

A squirrel runs in front of your bike: you're dead.

You hit a rather large tree branch that blows in your path: dead.

Why would you not wear a helmet?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3078363]A squirrel runs in front of your bike: you're dead.
    [/QUOTE]

Huh? A squirrel?? How big are the squirrels in Jersey? :eek:

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3078375]Huh? A squirrel?? How big are the squirrels in Jersey? :eek:[/QUOTE]

Big. The size of small dogs. They got fangs, too.

I'm assuming it's because of all the water pollution.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3078264]When I got my Harley for my 40th birthday, my wife finally relented on one condition, that I buy and use a full face helmet (which I was going to do anyway).

When I asked why, she said "So you can have an open casket and the kids can see what you look like".

Oh, teh irony. Also the main reason I don't ride much anymore, leaving behind orphans and all.

It still freaks me out (I live in NJ where helmets are mandatory but I work in CT where they are not) driving to work and seeing a-holes tooling around on their bikes without a helmet. Makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

Same thing here in AZ. Guys flying down the highway doing 90 mph...sunglasses being the only gear on their head. No helmet law....Crazy. I don't know, maybe they just want it to be over fast if they take a spill. All I know is that if it's me vs. them I'm pretty sure my Land Cruiser is winning that one!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3081944]Same thing here in AZ. Guys flying down the highway doing 90 mph...sunglasses being the only gear on their head. No helmet law....Crazy. I don't know, maybe they just want it to be over fast if they take a spill. All I know is that if it's me vs. them I'm pretty sure my Land Cruiser is winning that one![/QUOTE]
    Plus, unless you’re putt-putting down the strip, to be honest, it’s really not practical. Bugs hit your face, tears flowing to your ears, wind blowing in your ears…Helmet keeps you warm during winter, dry when it rains, less noise...and oh yeah, keeps you alive :rolleyes: