Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heading to Florence to see my daughter; Bad earthquake north of Rome

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Heading to Florence to see my daughter; Bad earthquake north of Rome

Wow, bad story coming out of Italy last night.

My older daughter is studying abroad this semester and I'm heading to Florence next Tuesday to see her for a week.

Her and a bunch of her friends took a weekend trip to Sicily this weekend and were on the train back last night when this earthquake hit central Italy just north of Rome at about midnight local time. They didn't get into the Rome station until about 4:00 am local time, so they never felt anything, but her friends back in Florence felt the shockwave.

I didn't hear about it until this morning and called her immediately, but I did have a sick feeling in my stomach.

At least 50 dead, some students.

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090406/ap_on_re_eu/eu_italy_earthquake[/url]

Edit: 70 dead and the quake hit at about 3:45 am local time-about 20 minutes before they got to Rome. She told me it was at midnight. I can't believe she didn't feel anything, they couldn't have been more than 100 miles from the epicenter when it hit.

On a train.

Jesus.
    Last edited by JStokes; 04-06-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard that on the radio this morning. How much did they say it was on the Richter scale? I haven't seen it posted yet. Regardless the death toll is surprisingly high..

Glad your kid is OK. Have a good time :thumbup:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    My daughter is in Florence as well, scared the living crap out of me when the alarm went off this morning at 5 and the first thing I heard was quake in Rome. We got a hold of her right away, she said they did not feel it either. They are heading to Rome on Wed., I half think they should cancel the trip and come home, but who am I, just a Dad.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=RaoulDuke;3076872]I heard that on the radio this morning. How much did they say it was on the Richter scale? I haven't seen it posted yet. Regardless the death toll is surprisingly high..

Glad your kid is OK. Have a good time :thumbup:[/quote]
    6.3, 60 miles east of Rome

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3076882]6.3, 60 miles east of Rome[/QUOTE]
    Wow. I didn't know Rome was in or near a fault line

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heartbreaking news.

Stokes or Raoul, have you ever been to Verona? Thinking about a trip there as a lower cost, less hassle destination than Venice.

PS For most of you untravelled JI types, I'm not talking about Verona, NJ.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3076887]
    Stokes or Raoul, have you ever been to Verona? Thinking about a trip there as a lower cost, less hassle destination than Venice.
    [/QUOTE]

Nope. Only been to Rome.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear your kids are safe.

BTW, you can't find anything in Tuscany.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    For my birthday, my wife gave me some dough for a trip to Europe. Thinking about Italy, Spain or Austrian Alps. Ireland is biggest bang for the buck but I've been there a couple of times. France is a darkhorse at the moment, been there and LOVED it but I should probably go some place I haven't been. Still thinking about France though.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad your kids are alright............

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=RaoulDuke;3076886]Wow. I didn't know Rome was in or near a fault line[/quote]
    I read this morning the town was devasted in the 1300's and the 1700's by quakes, not Rome, L'Aquila, the epicenter.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3076908]For my birthday, my wife gave me some dough for a trip to Europe.[/QUOTE]

You gonna bring her?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    :eek:

Stokes and Jetswin, I'm glad your daughters are OK. That's pretty scary stuff. My sister's roommate is studying abroad in Rome, I wonder if how she's doing.

I guess earthquakes are still somewhat prevalent in Italy. When I was little an earthquake devastated a small town and my uncle, a priest who was born there, went back and did a lot of volunteer work.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3076910]I read this morning the town was devasted in the 1300's and the 1700's by quakes, not Rome, L'Aquila, the epicenter.[/QUOTE]
    [IMG]http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38409000/gif/_38409785_italy_faults_map300-.gif[/IMG]

Old article but related

[url]http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38409000/gif/_38409785_italy_faults_map300-.gif&imgrefurl=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2383225.stm&usg=__vIVU-U7Jtnm8qSdZFxcju75paDw=&h=258&w=300&sz=17&hl=fr&start=2&um=1&tbnid=7h8dXlKgjU4trM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dseismic%2Bfault%2Bmap%2Bitaly%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Dfr%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3076887]

PS For most of you untravelled JI types, I'm not talking about Verona, NJ.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3076908]For my birthday, my wife gave me some dough for a trip to Europe. Thinking about Italy, Spain or Austrian Alps. Ireland is biggest bang for the buck but I've been there a couple of times. France is a darkhorse at the moment, been there and LOVED it but I should probably go some place I haven't been. Still thinking about France though.[/QUOTE]

Timmmmmmeh, I know you are overwhelmed with concern for the girls, but please get a grip on yourself. Take a deep breath and relax.

They are fine. PM me iffin you are struggling

;):D

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3076908]For my birthday, my wife gave me some dough for a trip to Europe. Thinking about Italy, Spain or Austrian Alps. Ireland is biggest bang for the buck but I've been there a couple of times. France is a darkhorse at the moment, been there and LOVED it but I should probably go some place I haven't been. Still thinking about France though.[/QUOTE]

If you come through Paris, first round of drinks are on me.

All the other ones will be on you. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3076927]

;):D[/QUOTE]

I've told you that move is just mean. I'm afraid to stroll down in case the wink is not there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3076931]If you come through Paris, first round of drinks are on me.

All the other ones will be on you. :D[/QUOTE]

Deal. Then we'll go for a drive in your Le Car. We can drive under trucks while buzzed.:yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Timmy®;3076908]For my birthday, my wife gave me some dough for a trip to Europe. Thinking about Italy, Spain or Austrian Alps. Ireland is biggest bang for the buck but I've been there a couple of times. France is a darkhorse at the moment, been there and LOVED it but I should probably go some place I haven't been. Still thinking about France though.[/quote]

Haven't been to Verona but been to Genoa, San Remo and Milano.
    Go to Barcelona, you can't go wrong. Beutiful city, beutiful people, great meals and wine. And it's considerably cheaper than Italy.

JStokes, glad she's ok. It's probably because she was on the train she didn't feel the quake. I was driving with my father when a quake of 7.2 hit a town about 200 miles away from Istanbul in 1999 and it was felt pretty strongly here as well. Neither of us felt a thing, we learned after we got out of the car what had happened.

Istanbul sits on top of one of the top 3 most active fault lines on the planet with about 12 millon people more than half of which live in sub-standard constructions, when the big one hits I expect it's truly going to be like hell over here.
    Last edited by The Turk; 04-06-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3076934]I've told you that move is just mean. I'm afraid to stroll down in case the wink is not there.[/QUOTE]

lol:mad:

Stokes, and JW, if the prayers of a bunch of dunder headed mouth breathing football eejits mean anything, the girls are golden.

I find the coincidence of them both being in Florence fascinating though.

Is this a common thing for college girls these days?

Is it the major they are in?