Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heading to Florence to see my daughter; Bad earthquake north of Rome

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Italy is an extremely active seismic area. Hence all the active Volcano's in the country. It's a tragedy for sure, but thankfully all the family members of board members are safe.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jayishere;3076952]Italy is an extremely active seismic area. [B]Hence all the active Volcano's in the country.[/B] It's a tragedy for sure, but thankfully all the family members of board members are safe.[/QUOTE]

I thought of that afterwards. Logical.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=32green;3076946]lol:mad:

Stokes, and JW, if the prayers of a bunch of dunder headed mouth breathing football eejits mean anything, the girls are golden.

I find the coincidence of them both being in Florence fascinating though.

Is this a common thing for college girls these days?

Is it the major they are in?[/quote]
    My daughter is in high school, they are there with the school's Italian club. I don't think they realize yet how much devastation was caused by this quake. They are in Pisa today...I was nervous about them being in Rome for Holy Week anyway, this just makes the eggbeater turn faster.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3076887]Heartbreaking news.

Stokes or Raoul, have you ever been to Verona? Thinking about a trip there as a lower cost, less hassle destination than Venice.

PS For most of you untravelled JI types, I'm not talking about Verona, NJ.[/QUOTE]

Been to Rome, Amalfi (the best), Florence, Monteriggioni, Venice, Lake Como, Santa Margerita, Milan (sucked except for The Last Supper), Cortina d' Ampezzo, Pisa (think Tiajuana with a really beautiful Church and F'ed up Tower), Cinque Terre, Siena. I liked southern Italy much more than the northern parts, would probably pass on Verona and hit Calabria and Sicily if I ever did another long trip.

I'm only going for a week, so we'll probably stay local (she still has classes some days, so will probably just tool around Tuscany and drink a lot of good wine and eat really good food. She really want's me to take her to the Ponte Vecchio, I can't imagine why? :D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    btw, thank you to everyone for their well wishes, I think many others there need them more at the moment. :(

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3076977]My daughter is in high school, they are there with the school's Italian club. I don't think they realize yet how much devastation was caused by this quake. They are in Pisa today...I was nervous about them being in Rome for Holy Week anyway, this just makes the eggbeater turn faster.[/QUOTE]

JW- how long is she in Florence for?

I'm going next Tuesday, staying about 2 minutes from The Duomo in the Santa Croce section. My daughter goes to Fairfield and they have a satellite university there right on the Arno (along with Syracuse and a few other schools).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3076946]lol:mad:

Stokes, and JW, if the prayers of a bunch of dunder headed mouth breathing football eejits mean anything, the girls are golden.

I find the coincidence of them both being in Florence fascinating though.

Is this a common thing for college girls these days?

Is it the major they are in?[/QUOTE]

32- when I went to college, about 4 guys I new in all of Syracuse studied abroad--and that was only to go to Amsterdam so they could smoke pot legally :D

I never even gave it a thought and if i did, my father would have knocked that thought out of my head with a quick but powerful backhand, and then stomped it to death on the ground.

Today? every single one of her friends is studying abroad this semester. Florence, Barcelona, Australia, Ireland, you name it.

My other 3 kids are now trying to decide where THEY are going to study abroad. :eek:

Has noting to do with majors, it's nothing more than a boondoggle, but it costs about the same so why not?

It's a great experience. So far so good (other than this earthquake scare), and she's had a chance to visit Rome, Pisa, Assisi, Siena, Barcelona, Sicily, Greece (for a week on spring break--I came home and worked at a restaurant on MY spring breaks) and has plans still to go to Paris, Amalfi and possibly Prague or Croatia.

Nice life.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=JStokes;3076987]JW- how long is she in Florence for?

I'm going next Tuesday, staying about 2 minutes from The Duomo in the Santa Croce section. My daughter goes to Fairfield and they have a satellite university there right on the Arno (along with Syracuse and a few other schools).[/quote]
    They will be in Florence until Wed. morning...they are doing day trips out of there now, Siena yesterday, Pisa today, tomorrow they tour Florence, and then on to Rome until Sat. morning. They are having a great time, and I guess it must be like when there is a quake in Callifornia over there, everything keeps moving along. It seems as if there was no effect on Rome, and they can get there without going through the affected area, so I guess they will continue on.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3076977]My daughter is in high school, they are there with the school's Italian club. I don't think they realize yet how much devastation was caused by this quake. They are in Pisa today...I was nervous about them being in Rome for Holy Week anyway, this just makes the eggbeater turn faster.[/QUOTE]

High school, gotcha, my bad.

I take it she will be [I][U][B]not [/B][/U][/I] be posing next to the leaning Tower this particular day?;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=32green;3077010]High school, gotcha, my bad.

I take it she will be [I][U][B]not [/B][/U][/I]be posing next to the leaning Tower this particular day?;)[/quote]
    as long as she stays on the right side :cool:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3077003]32- when I went to college, about 4 guys I new in all of Syracuse studied abroad--and that was only to go to Amsterdam so they could smoke pot legally :D

I never even gave it a thought and if i did, my father would have knocked that thought out of my head with a quick but powerful backhand, and then stomped it to death on the ground.

Today? every single one of her friends is studying abroad this semester. Florence, Barcelona, Australia, Ireland, you name it.

My other 3 kids are now trying to decide where THEY are going to study abroad. :eek:

Has noting to do with majors, it's nothing more than a boondoggle, but it costs about the same so why not?

It's a great experience. So far so good (other than this earthquake scare), and she's had a chance to visit Rome, Pisa, Assisi, Siena, Barcelona, Sicily, Greece (for a week on spring break--I came home and worked at a restaurant on MY spring breaks) and has plans still to go to Paris, Amalfi and possibly Prague or Croatia.

Nice life.[/QUOTE]

I worked my way through college, stayed home, (parents were broke, 4 kids) paying my own way and one day my Grandmother of all people grabbed me and sat me down.

She asked me if I had taken any student loans and I replied no, I'm paying my own way. She looked me right in the eye and told me "take a loan, take a semester off, go to Europe, enjoy it now."

I did it, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made!

Those girls are getting the memories of a lifetime, God bless them both.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3077009]They will be in Florence until Wed. morning...they are doing day trips out of there now, Siena yesterday, Pisa today, tomorrow they tour Florence, and then on to Rome until Sat. morning. They are having a great time, and I guess it must be like when there is a quake in Callifornia over there, everything keeps moving along. It seems as if there was no effect on Rome, and they can get there without going through the affected area, so I guess they will continue on.[/QUOTE]

Rome is going to be a mob scene with the Pope being there and Holy Thur, Good Friday and Easter.

We were there in August one year and there was NO Pope and it was great. St. Peter's was empty.

Freakiest sight I saw in Rome (and possibly anywhere) was this place not far from the Spanish Steps. If you talk to here before hand, suggest a 5 minute diversion:

[url]http://www3.sympatico.ca/tapholov/pages/bones.html[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=32green;3077017]I worked my way through college, stayed home, (parents were broke, 4 kids) paying my own way and one day my Grandmother of all people grabbed me and sat me down.

She asked me if I had taken any student loans and I replied no, I'm paying my own way. She looked me right in the eye and told me "take a loan, take a semester off, go to Europe, enjoy it now."

Those girls are getting the memories of a lifetime, God bless them both.[/quote]
    true...btw, I've been to Europe once, never in college, after school I spent a week in Germany. It was terrific however I was getting 2 1/2 deutchmarks per dollar then :eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3077017]I worked my way through college, stayed home, (parents were broke, 4 kids) paying my own way and one day my Grandmother of all people grabbed me and sat me down.

Those girls are getting the memories of a lifetime, God bless them both.[/QUOTE]

I really wish I had done that. I've taken a bunch of trips as an adult lugging around the kids, but being on your own, a youngin, going ALL over, that must have been great.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3077025]I really wish I had done that. I've taken a bunch of trips as an adult lugging around the kids, but being on your own, a youngin, going ALL over, that must have been great.[/QUOTE]
    I hope you're reading this Paulie.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=JStokes;3077019]Rome is going to be a mob scene with the Pope being there and Holy Thur, Good Friday and Easter.

We were there in August one year and there was NO Pope and it was great. St. Peter's was empty.

Freakiest sight I saw in Rome (and possibly anywhere) was this place not far from the Spanish Steps. If you talk to here before hand, suggest a 5 minute diversion:

[URL]http://www3.sympatico.ca/tapholov/pages/bones.html[/URL][/quote]
    they are seeing a ton of stuff, I would not be surprised if that was in the plan

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3077025]I really wish I had done that. I've taken a bunch of trips as an adult lugging around the kids, but being on your own, a youngin, going ALL over, that must have been great.[/QUOTE]

Lol, they say youth is wasted on the young...

Iffin I was half the hornbag I am now that I cant get any, I could have plowed my way through the trip....my only regret!

20 years old and more interested in art museums, laughing, guitar playing and drankin cheap wine:eek:

I look at some of my photos and the broads in them, alarmingly unmolested, and I want to scream....

lol WHY WHY YOU DEEK

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3077029]I hope you're reading this Paulie.[/QUOTE]

+1, though.....

I have a feeling Paulies trip would mirror the debacle I just described.

lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3077034]Lol, they say youth is wasted on the young...

Iffin I was half the hornbag I am now that I cant get any, I could have plowed my way through the trip....my only regret!

20 years old and more interested in art museums, laughing, guitar playing and drankin cheap wine:eek:

I look at some of my photos and the broads in them, [B]alarmingly unmolested[/B], and I want to scream....

lol WHY WHY YOU DEEK

[/QUOTE]

LOL

The 'ole "ahh if I had back then half the confidence I have now" lament..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ahem...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3077017] She looked me right in the eye and told me "take a loan, take a semester off, go to Europe, enjoy it now. So I did"

[/QUOTE]

Cut to hot European chicks who speak great English trying to understand what the hell 32Green is saying in his pickup attempts;)