Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heading to Florence to see my daughter; Bad earthquake north of Rome

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=jetswin;3077051]ahem...[/QUOTE]

Lol, I was 20 and the girls were all 20+ .......

OK, change the subject!

:D;)

[QUOTE=JStokes;3077003]32- when I went to college, about 4 guys I new in all of Syracuse studied abroad--and that was only to go to Amsterdam so they could smoke pot legally :D

I never even gave it a thought and if i did, my father would have knocked that thought out of my head with a quick but powerful backhand, and then stomped it to death on the ground.

Today? every single one of her friends is studying abroad this semester. Florence, Barcelona, Australia, Ireland, you name it.

My other 3 kids are now trying to decide where THEY are going to study abroad. :eek:

Has noting to do with majors, it's nothing more than a boondoggle, but it costs about the same so why not?

It's a great experience. So far so good (other than this earthquake scare), and she's had a chance to visit Rome, Pisa, Assisi, Siena, Barcelona, Sicily, Greece (for a week on spring break--I came home and worked at a restaurant on MY spring breaks) and has plans still to go to Paris, Amalfi and possibly Prague or Croatia.

Nice life.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I know a few who are in/went to Florence. London is obviously the biggest destination here in the business school, with Hong Kong coming in second. Madrid is a fairly popular spot as well. There's an Australia summer program, but I can't see a Finance major gaining much there other than boxing a kangaroo.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I just read the US has pledged $50,000 in relief aid....:ontome:

Bewildered Beast
    [quote=RaoulDuke;3076886]Wow. I didn't know Rome was in or near a fault line[/quote]
    Mount Vesuvius much? :rolleyes:

;):D:eek:

Bewildered Beast
    [quote=RaoulDuke;3076957]I thought of that afterwards. Typical frogical thinking.[/quote]
    [SIZE=1]heh heh heh[/SIZE]

Bewildered Beast
    [quote=jetswin;3077051]ahem...[/quote]
    LOL

JStokes, have a fantastic trip; sorry about the earthquake anxiety. I used to have E.A. to the extent that I had 3 escape routes from my home (shakers usually happen at night) that would "guarantee" the safety of my wife and two little sons. Many times I would jar awake at night thinking there must have been an earthquake. Well, those things are on you so fast, it's fruitless to worry about them. Have a great trip and sleep well, buddy.

[QUOTE=jetswin;3077209]I just read the US has pledged $50,000 in relief aid....:ontome:[/QUOTE]

LOL, what an insult

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote=pauliec;3077301]LOL, what an insult[/quote]
    I was amazed when I read that, holy crap.

[QUOTE=jetswin;3077305]I was amazed when I read that, holy crap.[/QUOTE]

That's like $38,000 Euros. That's gotta be a typo or something, that can't be for real.

[QUOTE=pauliec;3077308]That's like $38,000 Euros. That's gotta be a typo or something, that can't be for real.[/QUOTE]
    What are you talking about? They could string a few yards of phone wires back up with that...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3077293]LOL

JStokes, have a fantastic trip; sorry about the earthquake anxiety. I used to have E.A. to the extent that I had 3 escape routes from my home (shakers usually happen at night) that would "guarantee" the safety of my wife and two little sons. Many times I would jar awake at night thinking there must have been an earthquake. Well, those things are on you so fast, it's fruitless to worry about them. Have a great trip and sleep well, buddy.[/QUOTE]

Ironically, my wife and my daughter were out in Santa Monica during the Northridge quake--she was too young and barely remembers--just her Mom grabbing her and throwing her under a table! For a northeastener, 2 quakes in one lifetime are a lot!!

Bewildered Beast
    [quote=JStokes;3077394]Ironically, my wife and my daughter were out in Santa Monica during the Northridge quake--she was too young and barely remembers--just her Mom grabbing her and throwing her under a table! For a northeastener, 2 quakes in one lifetime are a lot!![/quote]
    Horrible earthquake; what luck...my goodness. That one knocked down several elevated freeway ramps in Sylmar, at the northern-most corner of the San Fernando valley...all that heavy traffic (on HWY 5) coming down from the "Grapevine" hill was affected.

I loved Italy.

Pisa was wikked pisa.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

My daughter received a benediction from Pope Benedict at the Vatican this morning...wow, she is having some trip.

[QUOTE=jetswin;3080947]My daughter received a benediction from Pope Benedict at the Vatican this morning...wow, she is having some trip.[/QUOTE]

Wow... Holy Week in Rome must be something else.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote=pauliec;3080950]Wow... Holy Week in Rome must be something else.[/quote]
    I just got off the phone with her, she said it's not completely crazy yet...she wants to move to Italy. :D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=jetswin;3080957]I just got off the phone with her, she said it's not completely crazy yet...she wants to move to Italy. :D[/QUOTE]

Glad to see she is doing well. Must have been some week for you!:eek:

[QUOTE=32green;3080967]Glad to see she is doing well. Must have been some week for you!:eek:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, seriously... not the best time to travel to Italy. She'll definitely remember it, though.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=pauliec;3080976]Yeah, seriously... not the best time to travel to Italy. She'll definitely remember it, though.[/QUOTE]

She'd better remember it....I dont think she will be allowed out of the house for a few years after she gets home! lol

:D;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

lol...all these after shocks are keeping me nauseous