Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aruba, Bahamas, or somewhere better?

Banned

Aruba, Bahamas, or somewhere better?

My girl and I are getting ready to book a long, long overdue vacation.

I'd appreciate any insight, advice or recommendations that could help us finally decide on where we want to go... we are considering Aruba, the Bahamas, the Caymans, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and some of the other Caribbean locations.

(Not considering Mexico, especially the western coast.)

Jets Insider VIP
    Go to Bermuda. Wife and I went last June and it was fantastic, plus a quicker flight (I'm not a great flier).

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;3077002]Go to Bermuda. Wife and I went last June and it was fantastic, plus a quicker flight (I'm not a great flier).[/QUOTE]

Sorry, forgot to mention that we are going in May. I want to be able to go in the water. I've been told by many that the water is on the cold side until the summer months.

I did consider it heavily though...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Integrity28;3077018]Sorry, forgot to mention that we are going in May. I want to be able to go in the water. I've been told by many that the water is on the cold side until the summer months.

I did consider it heavily though...[/QUOTE]

I went to Bermuda once and it was late May and the water was fine, and it is a GREAT Island with some fantastic food.

But to be certain, I'd go much further south to get some great weather.

Bahamas were fun, stayed at the Atlantis which in hindsight wish I had brought my kids. Crazy place, not for a romantic quiet getaway.

Turks & Caico's were much quieter, beautiful white powdery sand beaches. Aruba is very nice, very arid. St. Lucia was very lush, but haven't been in 20 years. Didn't love Dominican Republic, but we were their at a medical clininc so it wasn't under the best of circumstances but still, a ton of poverty if you head anywhere off of whatever compound resort you are staying at.

All Pro
    Turks and Caicos . The sand feels like flour and the water is awesome. I'm heading there again in June for a week..:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Integrity28;3077018]Sorry, forgot to mention that we are going in May. I want to be able to go in the water. I've been told by many that the water is on the cold side until the summer months.

I did consider it heavily though...[/QUOTE]

The water was great in June. Don't think it'd be that much colder in May. We're going here in December --> [URL="http://www.psvresort.com/"]http://www.psvresort.com/[/URL]

Did Jamaica 4 weeks ago, had a great time. A lot of poverty in the area though, more than most other Carribean destinations from what I hear. Water was great, of course much more south than Bermuda. I didn't much other than the spring break/drink all day scene, so I can't comment too much on how it would be for a romantic getaway. Probably not ideal compared to some of the other destinations mentioned due to the poverty and third world lifestyle.

Did Puerto Rico twice when I was younger, don't remember much though.

Airfare to Jamaica was $330 round trip from Philly about a month and a half in advance, on Air Jamaica. Our rooms were $200 a night ($100 a head), all inclusive. Speaking of which, try and go all-inclusive. It was great for us not having to pay for drinks and food all day, and we definitely made it more than worth it. Don't know what your consumption will be, but regardless, it was just great not having to worry about costs piling up.

Atlantis

[QUOTE=Jets Things;3077002]Go to Bermuda. Wife and I went last June and it was fantastic, plus a quicker flight (I'm not a great flier).[/QUOTE]

Def. Bermuda... great weather, not too hot, beautiful water and can roam the whole island as it is very safe...

here is a link for the water [url]http://www.weatherimages.org/data/imag143.html[/url] Bermuda is two dashes above 65.00
    Last edited by FlagmanL11; 04-06-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Mike D;3077443]Atlantis[/QUOTE]

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I thought Atlantis was a disappointment.

Overrated, IMHO.

[QUOTE=Integrity28;3076991]My girl and I are getting ready to book a long, long overdue vacation.

I'd appreciate any insight, advice or recommendations that could help us finally decide on where we want to go... we are considering Aruba, the Bahamas, the Caymans, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and some of the other Caribbean locations.

(Not considering Mexico, especially the western coast.)[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I'm buying this.

You have a girl?

Banned
    [QUOTE=FF2®;3077820]I'm not sure I'm buying this.

You have a girl?[/QUOTE]

A beautiful one... I lulled her to sleep with a 3PSB™ and dragged her into my bad attitude cave.

So... what say you old fart, any vacation advice?

[QUOTE=Integrity28;3077867]A beautiful one... I lulled her to sleep with a 3PSB™ and dragged her into my bad attitude cave.

So... what say you old fart, any vacation advice?[/QUOTE]

Actually I asked pretty much this same question a few weeks ago...did you see the thread?

We ended up choosing St. Marteen.

Banned
    [QUOTE=FF2®;3077869]Actually I asked pretty much this same question a few weeks ago...did you see the thread?

We ended up choosing St. Marteen.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I remember vaguely... how was it? Its one of the places we are considering.

I am really conflicted. I like the allure of the ALL-inclusive, however my girl doesn't drink much more than a pina colada or two per day, and is vegetarian. I know I would get my money's worth... but think we may be better off paying as we go for meals and booze since she is a lightweight and likely to eat chickpeas at every friggin meal!

What did you end up doing? All-inclusive or not?

[QUOTE=Integrity28;3077873]Oh yeah, I remember vaguely... how was it? Its one of the places we are considering.

I am really conflicted. I like the allure of the ALL-inclusive, however my girl doesn't drink much more than a pina colada or two per day, and is vegetarian. I know I would get my money's worth... but think we may be better off paying as we go for meals and booze since she is a lightweight and likely to eat chickpeas at every friggin meal!

What did you end up doing? All-inclusive or not?[/QUOTE]

We didn't go yet, and we like to explore and are not huge drinkers so no, not all inclusive.

[QUOTE=Integrity28;3076991]My girl and I are getting ready to book a long, long overdue vacation.

(Not considering Mexico, especially the western coast.)[/QUOTE]

Me and my girl went to the Riviera Maya in Mexico last year. Check out the Iberostar Grand. Went for 9 days 8 nights for like 1,500 each and it was well worth it. Food was fantastic, fantastic service and the hotel itself was gorgeous. PM me if you need any more info or pics.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3077881]Me and my girl went to the Riviera Maya in Mexico last year. Check out the Iberostar Grand. Went for 9 days 8 nights for like 1,500 each and it was well worth it. Food was fantastic, fantastic service and the hotel itself was gorgeous. PM me if you need any more info or pics.[/QUOTE]

I need pics just of your wife.

Banned
    We decided we don't want to do all-inclusive. Not really into feeling like I've got to get our money's worth of booze and food. I can eat and drink here in America.

We decided we don't want to be confined to just the resort property too. If we did all-inclusive, we would have done Jamaica, Bahamas, Cancun or Punta Cana. Those seem to be the biggest all-incl resorts at the best prices... and the stipulation going in is that you don't leave the resort. For the most part.

We want to explore. We aren't going on vacation to pickle our livers for 6 days. We want to see things you can see here... we also wanted a direct flight so we don't lose 2 days to the airlines.

So we chose...

[SIZE="5"]Puerto Rico[/SIZE]

Somewhere down the road we will do an all-incl resort, maybe if we go with a bunch of friends and family where we would be more likely to hang out at the pool all day drinking. But for a adventurous, cultural and romantic couples getaway... I want to be able to be spontaneous.

[QUOTE=Integrity28;3080199]We decided we don't want to do all-inclusive. Not really into feeling like I've got to get our money's worth of booze and food. I can eat and drink here in America.

We decided we don't want to be confined to just the resort property too. If we did all-inclusive, we would have done Jamaica, Bahamas, Cancun or Punta Cana. Those seem to be the biggest all-incl resorts at the best prices... and the stipulation going in is that you don't leave the resort. For the most part.

We want to explore. We aren't going on vacation to pickle our livers for 6 days. We want to see things you can see here... we also wanted a direct flight so we don't lose 2 days to the airlines.

So we chose...

[SIZE="5"]Puerto Rico[/SIZE]

Somewhere down the road we will do an all-incl resort, maybe if we go with a bunch of friends and family where we would be more likely to hang out at the pool all day drinking. But for a adventurous, cultural and romantic couples getaway... I want to be able to be spontaneous.[/QUOTE]

Big mistake.

Banned
    [QUOTE=FF2®;3080591]Big mistake.[/QUOTE]

Smart ass.