Thread: Sony Bravia Problem-Please Help

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Sony Bravia Problem-Please Help

I purchased a 32" Sony Bravia in December '08. KDL-32L400. I did not buy any extended warranty. Great picture...everything is fine until last week. I turned on the TV to see this white horizontal line across the screen. I'm thinking WTF. What happened? So I find my warranty paperwork. Great...it is under the manufacturers warrany for 1 year. However you must have the receipt. Oh No! I search frantically...I don't have it. $HIT! Okay think...I can go to the store and have them print a duplicate receipt. $HIT I bought it at Circuit City! I have the original box that has either a manufactured date or shipped to date of 11/29/08...so this TV is clearly less than 1 year old so they must warranty it, Right? I bought it with my American Express card so I have a credit card statement showing there was a purchase in December. Well I made a preliminary call to Sony customer service and they say there must be a sales receipt for them to replace or repair the TV. Any advice would be appreciated. I will call Sony again and ask for a manager to make an exception, but I was hoping someone here might have an idea.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;3078511]I purchased a 32" Sony Bravia in December '08. KDL-32L400. I did not buy any extended warranty. Great picture...everything is fine until last week. I turned on the TV to see this white horizontal line across the screen. I'm thinking WTF. What happened? So I find my warranty paperwork. Great...it is under the manufacturers warrany for 1 year. However you must have the receipt. Oh No! I search frantically...I don't have it. $HIT! Okay think...I can go to the store and have them print a duplicate receipt. $HIT I bought it at Circuit City! I have the original box that has either a manufactured date or shipped to date of 11/29/08...so this TV is clearly less than 1 year old so they must warranty it, Right? [B]I bought it with my American Express card so I have a credit card statement showing there was a purchase in December[/B]. Well I made a preliminary call to Sony customer service and they say there must be a sales receipt for them to replace or repair the TV. Any advice would be appreciated. I will call Sony again and ask for a manager to make an exception, but I was hoping someone here might have an idea.[/QUOTE]

American Express extends the original manufacturer's warranty by one year.

So you actually have two years of coverage on your unit.

Perhaps Amex can call Sony for you.

Call them up explain your situation...their customer service people are pretty good and they will either resolve your issue (since they KNOW you purchased the item at a specific store on a specific date) or they can give you guidance.

Good luck.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Often times places will accept credit card statements as proof of purchase, but the receipt is really the key to any warranty situation. I'm a guitar tech for Fender and we quite often make acceptions in these types of situations. The key is to not lose your cool when you're dealing with the folks on the phone. If you're a di@k, they probably won't want to bend the rules to help you out.
    Unfortunately, a box with a ship date means absolutely nothing to any company. It's the proof of purchase that will determine whether or not they will cover anything under warranty.
    Customer service is a dying art, but there are lots of people in the industry who really do care.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ubrnostrum;3078553]Often times places will accept credit card statements as proof of purchase, but the receipt is really the key to any warranty situation. I'm a guitar tech for Fender and we quite often make acceptions in these types of situations. The key is to not lose your cool when you're dealing with the folks on the phone. If you're a di@k, they probably won't want to bend the rules to help you out.
    Unfortunately, a box with a ship date means absolutely nothing to any company. It's the proof of purchase that will determine whether or not they will cover anything under warranty.
    Customer service is a dying art, but there are lots of people in the industry who really do care.[/QUOTE]

+1 Just be very very nice and you may pull it off with CC statement. if you feel like you are getting nowhere politely hang up and call back, you will get someone different.

Those costumer service folks have people b*tching at them all day, be friendly and you will have better luck.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sue SAR, get the money and every picture of feet that he has. Its only fair. :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    did you have any luck???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;3078511]I purchased a 32" Sony Bravia in December '08. KDL-32L400. I did not buy any extended warranty. Great picture...everything is fine until last week. [B]I turned on the TV to see this white horizontal line across the screen[/B]. I'm thinking WTF. What happened? So I find my warranty paperwork. Great...it is under the manufacturers warrany for 1 year. However you must have the receipt. Oh No! I search frantically...I don't have it. $HIT! Okay think...I can go to the store and have them print a duplicate receipt. $HIT I bought it at Circuit City! I have the original box that has either a manufactured date or shipped to date of 11/29/08...so this TV is clearly less than 1 year old so they must warranty it, Right? I bought it with my American Express card so I have a credit card statement showing there was a purchase in December. Well I made a preliminary call to Sony customer service and they say there must be a sales receipt for them to replace or repair the TV. Any advice would be appreciated. I will call Sony again and ask for a manager to make an exception, but I was hoping someone here might have an idea.[/QUOTE]

If the line goes right to left, bang the right side of the TV.

If the line goes left to right...you got it...bang the left side.

Kids.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan_Johnny;3079105]did you have any luck???[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your advice. I'm off on Thursday and will call Sony then.

You know I forgot SAR recommended this TV....Hmmm

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't speak with the flunky answering calls at Sony. Elevate it. Ask to speak with a manager.

Flat out lie if you have to. Tell them you mailed the original receipt off with the UPC for a rebate with Circuit City and it got lost.