Thread: Overlooked Douglas brings big numbers to Jets

All League

Overlooked Douglas brings big numbers to Jets

Overlooked Douglas brings big numbers to JetsBY ERIK BOLAND | [email]erik.boland@newsday.com[/email]
    11:51 PM EDT, April 9, 2009
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Bart Scott overheard a reporter's question to Marques Douglas regarding the statistic and responded before the defensive end could.

"The numbers don't lie," Scott said.

According to Stats Inc., during the last six seasons (2003-08), in stints with the Ravens, 49ers and again with the Ravens, [B]Douglas ranks third among defensive players in tackles for losses with 41.5.[/B] Pat Williams, a defensive tackle with the Bills and Vikings ranks first with 49 and Bears linebacker Lance Briggs is second with 44.5.

The Jets signed the 6-2, 292-pound Douglas as a free agent this offseason, the least heralded of their signings that have ties to the Ravens. That group is led by Scott, of course, and safety Jim Leonhard.

Douglas was an undrafted free agent -- a distinction he shares with Scott -- coming out of Howard in 1999 and signed with the Ravens. He spent 2000 with the Saints before heading back to Baltimore in 2001. After playing sparingly in 2001 and 2002, Douglas broke out in 2003, starting all 16 games and recording 61 tackles and 4.5 sacks. He started 47 of 48 games for the 49ers from 2005-07 before returning to Baltimore in 2008, recording 36 tackles -- 24 solo -- as a backup.

The 32-year-old Douglas knows his career is coming to a close and he wanted nothing more than to finish it with Rex Ryan, the defensive line coach in Baltimore when he had his most productive seasons. Douglas' best year came in 2004 when he had 72 tackles and 5.5 sacks.

"I've known him since I came into the league," Douglas said. "He's always been honest . . . He's not hard to play for. Following him up here to play in New York, I mean that wasn't a hard decision. [B]I know he knows how to use me."[/B]

The Jets entered the offseason desperately needing depth on the defensive line and Douglas should provide at least that. He's known for his strength and, as the numbers suggest, his ability to get into the opponents' backfield. Not that too many people other than hardcore fans are aware of it.

"I'm an undrafted free agent who's always overlooked," Douglas said. "But I like to think there's one thing that's universal and that's math. And so you might cheat me out of being 6-2, you might cheat me out of credit, but at the same time you have to look at my stats, and my stats are my stats. Like Bart just said, numbers don't lie. So when it's all said and done, just judge me on that."

Douglas didn't speak angrily or even as if he has a chip on his shoulder -- just with confidence, a trait shared by those Ryan brought with him from Baltimore. Douglas echoed what Scott and Leonhard have said: that players are in for a unique experience.

"Playing in Rex's defense, you better take your book home and study because at any given time you could be playing somebody else's position," Douglas said. "It's definitely a thinking man's defense. But at the same time, it's fun, it's energetic, it's aggressive. [B]It's not the typical stay-in-your-gap-and-hope-somebody-runs-into-you defense. We pursue to the ball. We're going to have fast flowing linebackers and he makes it fun."[/B]

Notes & quotes: QBs Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff both read -- though they hedged their bets a bit knowing the draft is coming up--- the Jets failing to make a strong offer for Jay Cutler as a vote of confidence. "I guess there's an optimistic viewpoint from that perspective, if you will, that they felt confident that they didn't have to give up two first-round picks and a third rounder to go get him -- not to mention another quarterback [ Kyle Orton] -- so I guess in a way it's a vote of confidence," said Clemens, who found out about Cutler being traded to the Bears via a text message from his mother-in-law, Lori. "But it is what is for right now, and it's all over with, so let's move forward."

Clemens said much of his NFL news comes from his mother-in-law. "Mortensen hears about it and my mother-in-law hears about it a minute or two later," Clemens said with a laugh, referencing ESPN's Chris Mortensen. "She's tied in somewhere." Leon Washington repeated what he said two weeks ago: that he is "hopeful" a contract extension can be worked out with the Jets. "The main thing that's a positive is we both [his representation and the team] want to get something done," said Washington, who is entering the final year of the original four-year contract he signed after the Jets drafted him out of Florida State. "The Jets, they've been expressive about wanting to get something done. I don't want to get into details, but I believe things will work out the best."

Washington didn't put a deadline on when he'd like to see something done, but he didn't sound like a player who was going to start missing conditioning days or any other offseason activities. "There's no time frame," Washington said. "I'm patient, they're patient. One thing I do know, I will be in here working out with this team every single day I get a chance."

[url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets0410,0,3978328.story[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE]According to Stats Inc., during the last six seasons (2003-08), in stints with the Ravens, 49ers and again with the Ravens, Douglas ranks third among defensive players in tackles for losses with 41.5. Pat Williams, a defensive tackle with the Bills and Vikings ranks first with 49 and Bears linebacker Lance Briggs is second with 44.5.
    [/QUOTE]

That's pretty impressive.

If we were to take Tyson Jackson with our 1st, our DE's would be: Shaun Ellis, Tyson Jackson, Marques Douglas, & Kenyon Coleman. They'd all get playing time as part of a rotation, which would mean an older guy like Ellis would get a breather here and there and the rookie (Jackson) wouldn't have to be relied on too much in year 1. Not a bad group IMO.

Edited: Forgot DeVito, he might be part of the mix as well.

All Pro
    I didn't know that about Douglas. That's a really nice stat.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=TheFranchise;3083410]I didn't know that about Douglas. That's a really nice stat.[/QUOTE]

Could be clear now why Kareem Brown is switching to TE. We have a pretty deep bunch of Dlineman now.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Banks81;3082164]Overlooked Douglas brings big numbers to JetsBY ERIK BOLAND | [email]erik.boland@newsday.com[/email]
    11:51 PM EDT, April 9, 2009
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Bart Scott overheard a reporter's question to Marques Douglas regarding the statistic and responded before the defensive end could.

"The numbers don't lie," Scott said.

According to Stats Inc., during the last six seasons (2003-08), in stints with the Ravens, 49ers and again with the Ravens, [B]Douglas ranks third among defensive players in tackles for losses with 41.5.[/B] Pat Williams, a defensive tackle with the Bills and Vikings ranks first with 49 and Bears linebacker Lance Briggs is second with 44.5.

The Jets signed the 6-2, 292-pound Douglas as a free agent this offseason, the least heralded of their signings that have ties to the Ravens. That group is led by Scott, of course, and safety Jim Leonhard.

Douglas was an undrafted free agent -- a distinction he shares with Scott -- coming out of Howard in 1999 and signed with the Ravens. He spent 2000 with the Saints before heading back to Baltimore in 2001. After playing sparingly in 2001 and 2002, Douglas broke out in 2003, starting all 16 games and recording 61 tackles and 4.5 sacks. He started 47 of 48 games for the 49ers from 2005-07 before returning to Baltimore in 2008, recording 36 tackles -- 24 solo -- as a backup.

The 32-year-old Douglas knows his career is coming to a close and he wanted nothing more than to finish it with Rex Ryan, the defensive line coach in Baltimore when he had his most productive seasons. Douglas' best year came in 2004 when he had 72 tackles and 5.5 sacks.

"I've known him since I came into the league," Douglas said. "He's always been honest . . . He's not hard to play for. Following him up here to play in New York, I mean that wasn't a hard decision. [B]I know he knows how to use me."[/B]

The Jets entered the offseason desperately needing depth on the defensive line and Douglas should provide at least that. He's known for his strength and, as the numbers suggest, his ability to get into the opponents' backfield. Not that too many people other than hardcore fans are aware of it.

"I'm an undrafted free agent who's always overlooked," Douglas said. "But I like to think there's one thing that's universal and that's math. And so you might cheat me out of being 6-2, you might cheat me out of credit, but at the same time you have to look at my stats, and my stats are my stats. Like Bart just said, numbers don't lie. So when it's all said and done, just judge me on that."

Douglas didn't speak angrily or even as if he has a chip on his shoulder -- just with confidence, a trait shared by those Ryan brought with him from Baltimore. Douglas echoed what Scott and Leonhard have said: that players are in for a unique experience.

"Playing in Rex's defense, you better take your book home and study because at any given time you could be playing somebody else's position," Douglas said. "It's definitely a thinking man's defense. But at the same time, it's fun, it's energetic, it's aggressive. [B]It's not the typical stay-in-your-gap-and-hope-somebody-runs-into-you defense. We pursue to the ball. We're going to have fast flowing linebackers and he makes it fun."[/B]

Notes & quotes: QBs Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff both read -- though they hedged their bets a bit knowing the draft is coming up--- the Jets failing to make a strong offer for Jay Cutler as a vote of confidence. "I guess there's an optimistic viewpoint from that perspective, if you will, that they felt confident that they didn't have to give up two first-round picks and a third rounder to go get him -- not to mention another quarterback [ Kyle Orton] -- so I guess in a way it's a vote of confidence," said Clemens, who found out about Cutler being traded to the Bears via a text message from his mother-in-law, Lori. "But it is what is for right now, and it's all over with, so let's move forward."

Clemens said much of his NFL news comes from his mother-in-law. "Mortensen hears about it and my mother-in-law hears about it a minute or two later," Clemens said with a laugh, referencing ESPN's Chris Mortensen. "She's tied in somewhere." Leon Washington repeated what he said two weeks ago: that he is "hopeful" a contract extension can be worked out with the Jets. "The main thing that's a positive is we both [his representation and the team] want to get something done," said Washington, who is entering the final year of the original four-year contract he signed after the Jets drafted him out of Florida State. "The Jets, they've been expressive about wanting to get something done. I don't want to get into details, but I believe things will work out the best."

Washington didn't put a deadline on when he'd like to see something done, but he didn't sound like a player who was going to start missing conditioning days or any other offseason activities. "There's no time frame," Washington said. "I'm patient, they're patient. One thing I do know, I will be in here working out with this team every single day I get a chance."

[url]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets0410,0,3978328.story[/url][/QUOTE]

That's a very nice stat line. Douglas is a good 3-4 defensive lineman. He is real strong at the point of attack and can take on and defeat blockers to the ball. Nice player.

One of my favorite things about Ryan is how many of “his” guys are low round picks or undrafted free agents that were developed and perform well, should make for an interesting camp

I would like to see some video of Douglas w/Baltimore/REX Def.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The Jets new starting RDE

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3104864]The Jets new starting RDE[/QUOTE]

Bump.

Good find.

+1 He can do a better job then Kenyon at More then HALF THE COST

Banned
    This is why it earks the you know what outta me when I hear Jet fans saying stuff like... "The Jets "Lost Coleman" and Elam just to move up"

Last time I checked, Douglas was an upgrade over the JAG Coleman and Leonard was an upgrade over Elam who couldn't drop back into coverage without looking lost out there.

I think the Jets front office knew what the were doing when they signed Douglas and Leonard.