Thread: OT: Wall mounts for a 40in. TV

Veteran

OT: Wall mounts for a 40in. TV

Morning guys.
    Since the only thing you guys know less about than football is TVís, I figured this would be the place to ask;-) I have a 40in LCD and brackets being delivered today for my bedroom, but I assume I will need some type of anchors for the dry wall. Does anyone have any advice on how to mount this?

Nope, they use big bolts that you sink into the wall studs. You just find the stud behind the blue board and sink the bolts.

All League
    my fail safe recommendation for anything HEAVY is molly bolts. those screws with the spring like butterfly wings that you insert then tighten. they won't fall out or pull out.
    i also like those heavy duty metal 'screw in' dry wall anchors, but they are not as fail safe as the mollys.

All League
    [QUOTE=CleatMarks;3082284]Nope, they use big bolts that you sink into the wall studs. You just find the stud behind the blue board and sink the bolts.[/QUOTE]

using the studs.....best bet.

[quote=tedtedthefootballhead;3082287]using the studs.....best bet.[/quote]

If it comes with instructions, it will probably say that. I've got a 47 inch hanging in my bedroom.

Banned
    [QUOTE=rhyan66;3082277]Morning guys.
    Since the only thing you guys know less about than football is TVís, I figured this would be the place to ask;-) I have a 40in LCD and brackets being delivered today for my bedroom, [B]but I assume I will need some type of anchors[/B] for the dry wall. Does anyone have any advice on how to mount this?[/QUOTE]

Nah, no need for anchors.

Don't even bother looking for the studs, as the drywall alone can easily support a 40" LCD.

Good luck.

Hall Of Fame
    in alot of new construction you cant use the studs because they are aluminum, so they are useless also alot of times they wont match up to exactly where you want the TV posted

I just hung 32's in my kids rooms last week and used butterfly bolts, each supports like 50 lbs and i put 4 in the wall, while the TV only weighs about 30 lbs plus another 10 or so for the mount. It wont go anywhere like that.

the trick will be putting the bolt through the mount and pushing through teh wall with the mount attached to it. have fun

Hall Of Fame
    buy a mount at monoprice.com... very reasonable and worth it imho

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=King Ryan;3082356]buy a mount at monoprice.com... very reasonable and worth it imho[/QUOTE]

My TVs aren't mounted so I have no experience in this.

My son is considering mounting a new 47" TV over a fireplace.

Any recommendations ?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;3082363]My TVs aren't mounted so I have no experience in this.

My son is considering mounting a new 47" TV over a [B]fireplace.[/B]

Any recommendations ?[/QUOTE]

Yeah tell him never to light a fire..:eek:

[QUOTE=rhyan66;3082277]Morning guys.
    Since the only thing you guys know less about than football is TVís, I figured this would be the place to ask;-) I have a 40in LCD and brackets being delivered today for my bedroom, but I assume I will need some type of anchors for the dry wall. Does anyone have any advice on how to mount this?[/QUOTE]

Go to CSNSTORES.com

Have all kinds of mounting hardware

Hall Of Fame
    you can get a extendable mount for a 40" tv at costco for $75

cant beat that, thats what i used

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    DO NOT USE ANCHORS OR MOLLY BOLTS!

Or your new TV will soon be garbage when it detaches from the wall and crashes on the floor below.

Use 1/4 or 3/8" lag bolts and go directly into the studs (which should come with the mount) . The wall mount is wide enough to catch 2 studs.

You can get flat screen wall mounts extremely cheap on ebay. All cables as well for a fraction of the cost the retail stores will bang you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sooth is correct - lag bolts into studs.

Jets Insider VIP
    [IMG]http://www.chinatraderonline.com/Files/As-Seen-On-TV/Houseware/Hercules-Hook-23380574738.jpg[/IMG]

I built my own wall mount last weekend. Cost $9.50 for material from Home Depot.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;3082573]DO NOT USE ANCHORS OR MOLLY BOLTS!

Or your new TV will soon be garbage when it detaches from the wall and crashes on the floor below.

Use 1/4 or 3/8" lag bolts and go directly into the studs (which should come with the mount) . The wall mount is wide enough to catch 2 studs.

You can get flat screen wall mounts extremely cheap on ebay. All cables as well for a fraction of the cost the retail stores will bang you.[/QUOTE]

not hardly bro, my 42 has been up taht way for 2 years, they wont go anywhere, also like I said before you have no choice if the studs dont line up where you want the TV or if they're made of aluminum