Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COnficker; Are you infected?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

COnficker; Are you infected?

Just saw this piece on the Conficker 'puter virus on the CBS News site.

They included a real simple test to tell iffin you have it in your 'puter.

Just an FYI for anyone concerned, I know I was getting a little concerned about this critter being in my machine....

[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/10/tech/cnettechnews/main4934208.shtml?tag=topHome;topStories[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got it on one of my pc's at home. Here at work, we had it hit about 7 pc's. It's been driving us crazy this week (work IT).

Just when we thought we eliminated it, it shows up again. And it even got onto our servers.

My home PC had the Spyware Protect 2009 install on it too.

Nasty lil f'er

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is over 2 weeks old.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;3082600]This is over 2 weeks old.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. It woke up yesterday at 12am London time. And it has opened up iexplore.exe and used different url's to receive it's instructions on the pc's here. It used sites like aol.com to communicate out and get the current time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Windows 98 baby!

Good luck, chumps.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3082605]Wrong. It woke up yesterday at 12am London time. And it has opened up iexplore.exe and used different url's to receive it's instructions on the pc's here. It used sites like aol.com to communicate out and get the current time.[/QUOTE]

I'm signed up for alerts from CERT - 2 weeks old. Trust me.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;3082600]This is over 2 weeks old.[/QUOTE]

Well, the linked story is dated today, I hadn't seen this "test" and I figured someone else who was similarly concerned would appreciate it.

Ok, Slappy?

:D:rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3082607]Windows 98 baby!

Good luck, chumps.[/QUOTE]

lol

:alien::applause::alien::alien:

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3082589]Just saw this piece on the Conficker 'puter virus on the CBS News site.

They included a real simple test to tell iffin you have it in your 'puter.

Just an FYI for anyone concerned, I know I was getting a little concerned about this critter being in my machine....

[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/10/tech/cnettechnews/main4934208.shtml?tag=topHome;topStories[/url][/QUOTE]

Is there a humane Conficker trap? I'm not the cold blooded critter killer that Timmy is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3082612]Well, the linked story is dated today, I hadn't seen this "test" and I figured someone else who was similarly concerned would appreciate it.

Ok, Slappy?

:D:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Be careful or I'll start a thread about you. Not only will you be semi-banned, your trendiness will disappear like Samson's strength after a buzzcut.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;3082610]I'm signed up for alerts from CERT - 2 weeks old. Trust me.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.us-cert.gov/current/current_activity.html[/url]

[QUOTE]UPDATE: Researchers have discovered a new variant of the Conficker Worm on [B]April 9, 2009[/B]. This variant updates earlier infections via its peer to peer (P2P) network as well as resuming scan-and-infect activity against unpatched systems. Public reporting indicates that this variant attempts to download additional malicious code onto victim systems, possibly including copies of the Waledac Trojan, a spam-oriented malicious application which has previously propagated only via bogus email messages containing malicious links.

US-CERT is aware of public reports indicating a widespread infection of the Conficker/Downadup worm, which can infect a Microsoft Windows system from a thumb drive, a network share, or directly across a corporate network, if the network servers are not patched with the MS08-067 patch from Microsoft.

Home users can apply a simple test for the presence of a Conficker/Downadup infection on their home computers. The presence of a Conficker/Downadup infection may be detected if a user is unable to surf to their security solution website or if they are unable to connect to the websites, by downloading detection/removal tools available free from those sites:

[url]http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=conficker_worm&inid=us_ghp_link_conficker_worm[/url]
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/worms/conficker.mspx[/url]
    [url]http://www.mcafee.com[/url]

If a user is unable to reach any of these websites, it may indicate a Conficker/Downadup infection. The most recent variant of Conficker/Downadup interferes with queries for these sites, preventing a user from visiting them. If a Conficker/Downadup infection is suspected, the system or computer should be removed from the network or unplugged from the Internet - in the case for home users.[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;3082619]Be careful or I'll start a thread about you. Not only will you be semi-banned, your trendiness will disappear like Samson's strength after a buzzcut.[/QUOTE]

Please, take the trendiness, give me back another anonymous jerk-off.

:rolleyes::cool:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    *sigh*

I received an alert about this 2 weeks ago, and the test for infection was the inability to reach mcafee.com. CERT knew about this BEFORE yesterday. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3082627]Please, take the trendiness, give me back another anonymous jerk-off.

:rolleyes::cool:[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;3082629]*sigh*

I received an alert about this 2 weeks ago, and the test for infection was the inability to reach mcafee.com. CERT knew about this BEFORE yesterday. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Dude, I read about this virus over a month ago, and I just happened to see this simple test I thought would help some dudes, TODAY.

No one is arguing about when CERT or you knew about it.

:eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3082599]I got it on one of my pc's at home. Here at work, we had it hit about 7 pc's. It's been driving us crazy this week (work IT).

Just when we thought we eliminated it, it shows up again. And it even got onto our servers.

My home PC had the Spyware Protect 2009 install on it too.

Nasty lil f'er[/QUOTE]

MS Updates. MS08-067. Closes the hole it uses. Also get Malwarebytes. I have over 5k desktops and we have had zero infections. We patched back in Oct. Good luck.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3082643]Dude, I read about this virus over a month ago, and I just happened to see this simple test I thought would help some dudes, TODAY.

No one is arguing about when CERT or you knew about it.

:eek:[/QUOTE]

My bad - I should have quoted LI Deadhead's post.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3082627]Please, take the trendiness, give me back another anonymous jerk-off.

:rolleyes::cool:[/QUOTE]

Heavy is the head that wears the crown®.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;3082997]Heavy is the head that wears the crown®.[/QUOTE]

Not just dooshy, but omnipresent and four feet deep.

Really, suicide is that abhorrent?

:cool:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3083001]Not just dooshy, but omnipresent and four feet deep.

Really, suicide is that abhorrent?

:cool:[/QUOTE]

you lost me (again)