Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ny rangers vs washington capitals 1st rd

Veteran

ny rangers vs washington capitals 1st rd

its official the nyr are playing the capitals in the first round. with montreals loss last night it breaks the streak of playing the devils in the first round this year. imo this has to be the best match up for the rangers or of any match up in the first rd. we avoid those pesky bruins and devils. this in imo gives us the best chance to advance.

Quote Originally Posted by jr420x View Post
    its official the nyr are playing the capitals in the first round. with montreals loss last night it breaks the streak of playing the devils in the first round this year. imo this has to be the best match up for the rangers or of any match up in the first rd. we avoid those pesky bruins and devils. this in imo gives us the best chance to advance.
    Ehh....I would have liked to play the Devils, but we'll see what happens.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Does anyone know what the Rangers record was verses the Caps this year?

I'm trying to find it, but I don't know where to look

Thanks
    1-3, Ham.

Lost 3-1
    Lost 5-4 (OT)
    Lost 2-1
    Won 5-4 (SO)

Thanks Phoenixx

I'm not surprised ... I didn't think it was very good ... Just wanted to confirm it
    But....you gotta agree, this is a very different Rangers team since then.

All Pro
    they're going to get raped

Agreed, but I hate playing the team with the best (most dominant) player in the sport

Reminds of the Rangers when they used to play the Pens with Mario and get smoked

I would rather have played the #1 Seed, Boston
    True....but at least he doesn't get EVERY CALL like Crosby did last year.

BTW....Anyone know when the sched comes out?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetspennyfan View Post

Game 1 - Wed. 4/15 at WSH
    Game 2 - Sat. 4/18 at WSH (NBC)
    Game 3 - Mon. 4/20 at NYR
    Game 4 - Wed. 4/22 at NYR
    Game 5 - Fri. 4/24 at WSH
    Game 6 - Sun. 4/26 at NYR (NBC)
    Game 7 - Tue. 4/28 at WSH

ew

Board Moderator
    Why are we the only team to have a 1pm Saturday game, I mean this is playoff hockey right?!!?

As horrendous as this team has looked at times, I think we have the makings of a serious playoff contender. Tons of experience (playoffs in each of the 4 seasons after the lockout and perrenial winners like gomez and drury),a goalie capable of stealing games, and at times a team that can forecheck, hold onto the puck and put alot of shots on net. I think enough pucks go in the net for the rangers to win and go deep.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilma View Post
    Why are we the only team to have a 1pm Saturday game, I mean this is playoff hockey right?!!?
    1 PM Sat/Sun gets their ratings. Ovechkin + NYC

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    they're going to get raped
    It could be but I think the Rangers have a chance. The 3 guys that scare me the most are Ovechin (of course), Semin and Green. Tortorella needs to devise a system to limit the 1st line's effectiveness and have someone always checking Green. If we can take those 3 out of the game, the Rangers win in 6 IMO. Theodore is beatable. Especially if Avery can throw him off. He has one of the lowest save %'s in the NHL among goalies who have played in 50 games or more and primarily benefits from Washington's high goals per game average. Like I said, limit Ovechkin, Semin and Green and the series belongs to the Rangers. Easier said than done, but doable.

I am concerned about a first round exit, but I think we have a shot at the getting past the Caps for a few reasons:

1) Lundqvist: obvious, I know. He's really been on his game lately and can beat anyone on any day.

2) Avery: if they match him up against the Ovetchkin line, he's going to be a disruptive force. Alex was running around like a madman with no answer from the Blueshirts this year...Avery won't be able to match him physically, but might be enough of a nuisance to have him take frustration/retaliatory penalites and get him off the ice for a few. If Avery is neutralized, Dubinsky needs to step up the agitator role a little bit and keep hitting A.O.

3) Andropov: Playing awesome, maybe has something to prove against a larger-than-life Eastern Europeaen character like A.O. If he has a great playoff run, this team could be very tough to beat.

I'm pumped....drop the puck!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by morite View Post
    I am concerned about a first round exit, but I think we have a shot at the getting past the Caps for a few reasons:

1) Lundqvist: obvious, I know. He's really been on his game lately and can beat anyone on any day.

2) Avery: if they match him up against the Ovetchkin line, he's going to be a disruptive force. Alex was running around like a madman with no answer from the Blueshirts this year...Avery won't be able to match him physically, but might be enough of a nuisance to have him take frustration/retaliatory penalites and get him off the ice for a few. If Avery is neutralized, Dubinsky needs to step up the agitator role a little bit and keep hitting A.O.

3) Andropov: Playing awesome, maybe has something to prove against a larger-than-life Eastern Europeaen character like A.O. If he has a great playoff run, this team could be very tough to beat.

You mentioned Dubinsky and I think he's the perfect guy to use to shadow and frustrate Ovechkin. Avery can be used to get under his skin on ocassion but like you said can't match Ovechkin's strength.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    It could be but I think the Rangers have a chance. The 3 guys that scare me the most are Ovechin (of course), Semin and Green. Tortorella needs to devise a system to limit the 1st line's effectiveness and have someone always checking Green. If we can take those 3 out of the game, the Rangers win in 6 IMO. Theodore is beatable. Especially if Avery can throw him off. He has one of the lowest save %'s in the NHL among goalies who have played in 50 games or more and primarily benefits from Washington's high goals per game average. Like I said, limit Ovechkin, Semin and Green and the series belongs to the Rangers. Easier said than done, but doable.
    Their biggest weakness is the PK/goaltending and our biggest weakness is PP/lack of scoring fowards. They have goalscorers in waves and we have Redden. We can't take advantage of their weaknesses properly and the only way we win is if Lundqvist plays 4 perfect games.

Teams like the Flyers/Penguins match up well with them

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetspennyfan View Post

You guys gotta let this Crosby and Pens get every call stuff go.....Pens were just better than than the Rangers last year period.

That being said, good luck against the Craps....I think it will be one of the better opening round series....I kinda think you guys match up pretty well against them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Their biggest weakness is the PK/goaltending and our biggest weakness is PP/lack of scoring fowards. They have goalscorers in waves and we have Redden. We can't take advantage of their weaknesses properly and the only way we win is if Lundqvist plays 4 perfect games.

Teams like the Flyers/Penguins match up well with them
    This team feeds off Ovechkin. The Caps have a losing record (18-21) when Ovechkin doesn't score a goal. Now I don't have the time to do the research, but I'm pretty confident that if we looked at games where at least two of their big three (Ovechkin, Semin, Green) don't score, that we'd see a lot of losses for Washington. I'm not saying the task is easy, but I contend that if the Rangers can somehow neutralize these three, maybe even two of the three, they have a very good shot at this series.

Ovechkin is a VERY emotional player and he is his own worst enemy, I remember watching a game where all he did was go after Martinek the entire game because martinek frustrated him and drew at least 3 penalties from ovechkin and took him way off his game... Avery is going to be the rangers key to winning the series, he needs to be the Avery you guys know and love and frustrate the hell out of ovechkin...if that happens and Alex is off his game its going to go 6 and rangers will win

All Pro

+1 :yes

This is a new Rangers team from the last time they played Washington.

Jets Insider VIP
    The good news is the Rangers won the first game of the quarterfinals against the second seed in their building and did so after being sorely outplayed in almost every facet of the game.

The bad news is, that sort of good fortune will probably not continue so they better get their **** together and do so real fast.