Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nyj short list

nyj short list

short board for NYJ...

maclin, wells, pettigrew that's my short list as of about a week prior to draft

yes people say Wells and Maclin will be gone but at least 1 of those 2 should be there at 17 and if they aren't Petti is the fallback... that's the short version, here's the explanation:

Beanie's draft value is hurt by the overall depth of the RB crop and the avg length of RB career in the NFL. for the Jets he's Thomas Jones but more explosive. He didn't run a 4.3 at Indy but he did get darn close at his pro day. That track is ridiculous but Beanie Wells has a 5th gear on film, more than Moreno. the Jets front office love Buckeyes.

As for Maclin, he is also a victim of the quality of the position this year.

Beside Crab, who has been #1 WR for a while - there's a good bumper crop of WR in the end of 1/top of 2 area this year, that will hurt Maclin's chances of going top 10... people project Oakland taking Mac but that roster has several Maclin-type prospects (johnnie Lee higgins for example) yet they have no Crabtree type prospects who are clutch and have hands like that... the foot and sanchez's rise to top 5 type should ensure he gets to 7...

my thinking if I'm the GM of Jacksonville, why take Maclin at 8 when you could get Harvin maybe even Nicks, Robiskie at early 2nd prices?

meanwhile if he gets past 8 there's no team between there and 17 NYJ that really needs him more than they need other thing... note if Washington were honest about the quality of their 2nd round picks last year they could take Maclin... but it's not a terrible long-shot...

as for Petti - Dustin Keller sat out with flu like symptoms today I shudder to think what the TE crop looked like in mini camp today. Conklin from NE did ok but #1 who is that #2 even if he's good it's still a dire need. they need 2 more TE before the season starts. they have an H back and a long snapper. don't believe in Kareem Brown's chances for 09, position changes take time.

maclin, wells, pettigrew that's my short list

what's yours?

My short list as of now is Mark Sanchez, Michael Crabtree (trade up), Josh Freeman, DHB, and Jeremy Maclin.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Sanchez via trade-up, Tyson Jackson, Josh Freeman. That's what I think are the most likely scenarios.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=bitonti;3089495]
    as for Petti - Dustin Keller sat out with flu like symptoms today I shudder to think what the TE crop looked like in mini camp today. Conklin from NE did ok but #1 who is that #2 even if he's good it's still a dire need. they need 2 more TE before the season starts. they have an H back and a long snapper. don't believe in Kareem Brown's chances for 09, position changes take time.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I've dismissed all the talk about us taking Pettigrew because I didn't think it was a possibility but now you're making me think it could happen. I'll boo the selection if we took him though (from my living room :D).

No tight ends with a 1st round pick! Especially in consecutive years!!!

Maclin, DHB, Britt.

All League
    If we stay at #17...Offense, Ofense, Offense....Knowshon Moreno, Brandon Pettigrew, Jeremy Maclin.

Josh Freeman - the Jets passed on Cutler even though they really liked him a few years ago. I understand that Cutler would have been considered a reach at 4 and that's why the Jets took D'brick instead. The thing is, if you believe a QB is gonna be the guy then you take him no matter what anyone says. Any other position you can mess around with worrying about value but at the QB position you throw it out the window and pick a guy you believe in. Freeman won't be there in the 2nd round so if they like him they'll have to take him in the first.

Chris Wells - I prefer the bigger of the 2 backs but i would be happy with Moreno as well

Rey Maualuga - i know i'll probably catch a bum wrap for listing Rey in my list but i don't see anything wrong with creating an inside linebacker super unit rotation that will keep players fresh. In my opinion this guy is too good to pass up.

On a side note and half joking i think we should draft a QB in the 4th round if we don't get Freeman since most of our 4th rounders turn out well.

Maclin, Wells, Freeman

All League
    Maclin, Freeman, Wells, Sanchez, DHB

All Pro
    Maclin, Jackson, Freeman for me. Either Pettigrew or DHB would sit well with me if the first three are all gone.

Surprise pick I'd learn to love: Oher
    Most dreaded pick I've seen in mocks: Harvin

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3089503]
    No tight ends with a 1st round pick! Especially in consecutive years!!![/QUOTE]

I appreciate the fact you're atleast entertaining the notion of picking him, but i wince when i hear this. I don't think we or any team should make selections influenced by last years pick. Should always be based on this year's needs, and the player value available.

Raji, Maclin, Pettigrew, Wells, Moreno. and if by some slight of god all were gone, i'd have to say then Jerry. we could find a way to work that guy in!

Hall Of Fame
    Raji, Maclin, Jackson, Pettigrew, DHB

I still think Maclin will be ahead of Crabtree on some/a lot of teams boards.
    Therefor i am not about to give up my small morsel of hope...

1) Crabtree- Most likely gone but so is Maclin
    2) Pettigrew- Wake up (some of you) people two te sets are the new wave
    3) Raji- Depth and eventual replacement for Jenkins

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    [U]@ 17[/U]

- J.Maclin
    - B.J.Raji
    - R.Maualuga
    - B.Pettigrew
    - M.Oher
    - C.Wells

[U]trade back to late 1st /early 2nd[/U]

- K.Britt
    - D.Brown
    - C.Sintim
    - C.Barwin
    - B.Robiskie
    - J.Gilbert
    - D.Heyward-Bey
    - W.Beatty
    Last edited by Starkweather; 04-17-2009 at 06:38 PM.

[QUOTE=Starkweather;3089675][U]@ 17[/U]

-Maclin
    -Raji
    -Maualuga
    -Pettigrew
    -Oher
    -Wells
    [/QUOTE]

FYI I reworked the mock and in the last 3 versions the only names on that list that were consistantly there at 17 was Petti. Mac and Rey sometimes, the rest almost never.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3089679]FYI I reworked the mock and in the last 3 versions the only names on that list that were consistantly there at 17 was Petti. Mac and Rey sometimes, the rest almost never.[/QUOTE]

I don't, in any way, think all of those guys will be there @17.... most of them won't... but 1 or 2 will slip. So I figured I'd add all of which I think have a possibility of slipping to 17, large or small.

Maclin is #1 on my wish list and if he's still there @17 the Jets have to take him.

I may be in the minority here but I'd be extremely happy with Maualuga. I think anytime you get a chance to grab a guy in with his intensity you have to at least give it a long hard look.

And I was one of the first few on the bus after you suggested Pettigrew @17 I think he'd drasticaly improve the offense in many ways, so I would also be very happy with him being the pick there.

So yeah, I'd be happy if one/all 3 of those players, were the only ones on my list on the board left @17.
    Last edited by Starkweather; 04-17-2009 at 06:40 PM.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3089501]Sanchez via trade-up, Tyson Jackson, Josh Freeman. That's what I think are the most likely scenarios.[/QUOTE]

this, and moreno next. i'm thinking jones could be gone on draft day or in training camp if they get moreno. also, ayers as a darkhorse.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;3089706]this, and moreno next. i'm thinking jones could be gone on draft day or in training camp if they get moreno. [B] also, ayers as a darkhorse[/B].[/QUOTE]

I like Ayers.... but he's like a see-saw to me, weather he can play 3-4 end or not seems to be the problem for me.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Petti is the pick

I feel we can get a nice WR in the 2nd and a nice RB in the 3rd

1. Petti
    2. Robiskie
    3. J. Davis

[QUOTE=Starkweather;3089720]I like Ayers.... but he's like a see-saw to me, weather he can play 3-4 end or not seems to be the problem for me.[/QUOTE]

i know, but i keep thinking (hoping) that ryan's defense will use multiple fronts and looks, so guys like gholston and potentially any OLB/DE hybrid they draft will be able to rush the QB.