Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nyj short list

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    [QUOTE=JonEJet;3089730]Petti is the pick

I feel we can get a nice WR in the 2nd and a nice RB in the 3rd

1. Petti
    2. Robiskie
    3. J. Davis[/QUOTE]

I don't think Robiskie will fall far into round 2, and we pick late in round 2, but the idea of Petti, Robiskie, and Greene as our first 3 picks makes me very happy.
    Last edited by Starkweather; 04-17-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

James Davis willl be a stud at the next level

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I also don't think that Nicks, or Britt will go in the 1st round

Leaving those 2 and Robiskie
    available in the 2nd

All Pro
    Some additional analysis:

10 who I think will be gone before we pick:
    Stafford, Monroe, J-Smith, Crabtree, Curry, Raji, Orakpo, Ev. Brown, Sanchez, Andre Smith

So we'll be picking from at least 8 of these next 14 players:

Tyson Jackson, Malcom Jenkins, Pettigrew, Maclin, DHB, Ayers, Oher, Freeman, Cushing, Matthews, Maybin, Malualuga, Wells, Moreno.

Now I'm not a fan of drafting LB or DB this year so remove Cushing, Ayers, Maybin, Malualuga and Jenkins from the list, and you still have 8 players of whom at least 2 and probably a few more, will be available:

Tyson Jackson
    Pettigrew
    Maclin
    DHB
    Oher
    Freeman
    Wells
    Moreno

Things I think:

[LIST][*]I think any of these guys could be good picks for the Jets.[*]I have no idea which of them would be better for us.[*]I can't decide if any of these guys are move valuable than Boldin.[*]I think we can get at least 2-3 of them to choose from down around 20-22 and would love the extra 3rd round pick to do that. I think we still get at least 1-2 of them down around 25 but they could all be gone by 29 (Giants).[/LIST]
    Last edited by nycdan; 04-17-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Sanchez definitely on my shortlist

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I think the most likely picks are Beanie or DHB.

Maclin will be long gone, IMO. We can close our eyes and try and come up with a road map that will get him to our pick, but it just ain't happenin'.

However, I can see Beanie falling to us though. 50/50. And for whatever reason, I can also see Ryan liking him. The Ravens had a glut of RBs with McGahee, Rice and McClain and I think Ryan would like a stacked backfield like that for his power running game.

I know there's the school of thought that the Jets won't touch a WR in the first round, but if it comes down to Petti, Freeman, DHB, Harvin, Ayers....I think they go with DHB.

Its a risk, but it could really pay off.

And Bit, quick question:

[QUOTE]short board for NYJ...

maclin, wells, pettigrew that's my short list as of about a week prior to draft[/QUOTE]

Is this who you want or is this who you think the Jets will take?

yep, i think chris wells is a possibility if they can't get a qb they like. jones won't be there much longer and the jets are destined to be a ball control, run oriented team. wells and leon would be a very good combo and if clemens is even decent he could win with that as the core of the offense.

[QUOTE=Starkweather;3089675][U]@ 17[/U]

[U]trade back to late 1st /early 2nd and get [/U]

- K.Britt
    - D.Brown
    - C.Sintim
    - C.Barwin
    - B.Robiskie
    - J.Gilbert
    - D.Heyward-Bey
    [B]- W.Beatty[/B][/QUOTE]

Warren Beatty had mad skilz back in the 60's and 70's, but time and Annette Benning have taken their toll. ;)

[IMG]http://www.impawards.com/1978/posters/heaven_can_wait.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by vinluvr; 04-17-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: insert image

[QUOTE=crasherino;3089890]And Bit, quick question:

Is this who you want or is this who you think the Jets will take?[/QUOTE]

this might be a cheap answer but both

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=bitonti;3089934]this might be a cheap answer but both[/QUOTE]

Not cheap - I feel the same way (although I didn't put Maclin in there as I just don't think its reality.)

And you finally admit that Petti is who you want, not just who you think they'll take :)

Pettigrew, Heyward-Bey, Jackson, Moreno.

Veteran
    I want Jackson, but I'm afraid he'll be gone.
    Second choice - Macklin but he'll be gone too.
    Moreno or Wells - one of them, possibly both should still be around - works for me.

Wild card - if they really believe in Freeman which I think has to be true if they take him then I'm ok with that too.

No DHB - get a burner in round 2. Louis Murphy!

kyle clifton 59

Moreno, Pettigrew(Bit, Paradis and others sold me), DHB

Don't think Sanchez -Stafford will be there. Freeman is another developmental QB prospect, and Jets will pass on him. Either KC-Ratty grab the QB position, or Jets target Snead next year.

Raji(just a hope Jets trade up to #8 spot and grab him;))

Maclin

Wells

Pettigrew

Everett Brown(could fall to us)

Oher

[QUOTE=bitonti;3089495]short board for NYJ...

maclin, wells, pettigrew that's my short list as of about a week prior to draft

yes people say Wells and Maclin will be gone but at least 1 of those 2 should be there at 17 and if they aren't Petti is the fallback... that's the short version, here's the explanation:

Beanie's draft value is hurt by the overall depth of the RB crop and the avg length of RB career in the NFL. for the Jets he's Thomas Jones but more explosive. He didn't run a 4.3 at Indy but he did get darn close at his pro day. That track is ridiculous but Beanie Wells has a 5th gear on film, more than Moreno. the Jets front office love Buckeyes.

As for Maclin, he is also a victim of the quality of the position this year.

Beside Crab, who has been #1 WR for a while - there's a good bumper crop of WR in the end of 1/top of 2 area this year, that will hurt Maclin's chances of going top 10... people project Oakland taking Mac but that roster has several Maclin-type prospects (johnnie Lee higgins for example) yet they have no Crabtree type prospects who are clutch and have hands like that... the foot and sanchez's rise to top 5 type should ensure he gets to 7...

my thinking if I'm the GM of Jacksonville, why take Maclin at 8 when you could get Harvin maybe even Nicks, Robiskie at early 2nd prices?

meanwhile if he gets past 8 there's no team between there and 17 NYJ that really needs him more than they need other thing... note if Washington were honest about the quality of their 2nd round picks last year they could take Maclin... but it's not a terrible long-shot...

as for Petti - Dustin Keller sat out with flu like symptoms today I shudder to think what the TE crop looked like in mini camp today. Conklin from NE did ok but #1 who is that #2 even if he's good it's still a dire need. they need 2 more TE before the season starts. they have an H back and a long snapper. don't believe in Kareem Brown's chances for 09, position changes take time.

maclin, wells, pettigrew that's my short list

what's yours?[/QUOTE]

I pretty much agree with this list, as it represents the players who would be BPA at that point in the draft and who could conceivably be there. I would add Ayers and Oher, but the recent trends seem to indicate that both guys will be gone at that point.

If we are able to slide back in the draft into the mid 20ís, I would be looking at Laurianitis (who I prefer to Rey), Matthews Jr., Britt and Larry English. Harvin is basically off my board at this point.

All Pro
    Maclin
    Moreno
    Jackson
    Freeman
    Pettigrew
    Wells

The more I think about it, the more Wells is my number one choice, even over Maclin. Of all the players in this draft who have both a high floor and an ability to radically outperform their draft slot, Wells strikes me as the best bet. When you throw in the fact that there is excellent receiver depth in the second round, and he is strongly where I would lean if the team stays put at 17.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=GreenReaper;3091092]Don't think Sanchez -Stafford will be there. Freeman is another developmental QB prospect, and Jets will pass on him. Either KC-Ratty grab the QB position, or Jets target Snead next year.

Raji(just a hope Jets trade up to #8 spot and grab him;))

Maclin

Wells

Pettigrew

Everett Brown(could fall to us)

Oher[/QUOTE]

Raji is not getting past the Browns... mark that down.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=seanmac31;3099290]The more I think about it, the more Wells is my number one choice, even over Maclin. Of all the players in this draft who have both a high floor and an ability to radically outperform their draft slot, Wells strikes me as the best bet. When you throw in the fact that there is excellent receiver depth in the second round, and he is strongly where I would lean if the team stays put at 17.[/QUOTE]

Wells is to soft, Moreno is too slow.... the only RB I'd be OK with in the first round would be Donald Brown... and only after we traded back to the bottom of round one to get him. Otherwise, I'd be more happy if we waited till the 2nd to 4th round to grab a guy like Greene, A.Brown, Jennings or Davis.

Also there is only 6 top WR's -Crabtree, Maclin, Britt, Robiskie, DHB, Harvin maybe 7, if you count Nicks(which I don't) in this years class, all of whom with the exception of Nicks will most likely be gone before we pick in round 2. If you are going to wait till we pick in round 2, the next level would be a choice of Barden, Murphy, and Williams. Of those 3, I would only want Barden, but think he would be a reach in round 2.
    Last edited by Starkweather; 04-25-2009 at 09:04 AM.