Thread: Rangers Sign BU Defenseman Matt Gilroy (Hobey Baker Winner)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Rangers Sign BU Defenseman Matt Gilroy (Hobey Baker Winner)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4077524

Boston University free agent defenseman Matt Gilroy has signed a multiyear contract with the New York Rangers, multiple sources told ESPN The Magazine's E.J. Hradek and ESPN's John Buccigross.

Gilroy's decision Friday to sign with the Rangers caps a full week for the 24-year-old native of North Bellmore, N.Y. One week ago, he was named the Hobey Baker Award winner as the best U.S. college hockey player.

One day later, he helped the Terriers to a stunning come-from-behind overtime win over Miami University in the NCAA Division I national championship game.

Gilroy assisted on the tying goal with just 17 seconds remaining in regulation to cap a furious two-goal rally in the final minute.

Terms of the Gilroy's deal were unknown.

The BU captain isn't eligible to join the Rangers on their current playoff run. He will attend the club's late summer training camp with an eye on making their 2009-10 NHL roster.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty cool. I wonder if our resident BU alum and former Hobey Baker winner captain had any influence on this happening.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, this kid was being courted by several teams. As in half the league supposedly. I believe the Devils had made him an offer early last year.

In case anyone's wondering why Gilroy wasn't drafted, from what I understand, it has taken him a while to develop and he wasn't really a good prospect at the time. Now that he has developed into a solid player, he's too old to be drafted and was therefore classified as a UFA. I don't know what kind of skill set this kid has. I hear he's fast and smart but don't know much about his shot, his passing, offensive skills or defensive skills. I imagine he's got some game if 24 teams have made inquiries about him.

The Rangers already have Sanguinetti and Del Zotto as top prospects in the system. I imagine this means that the Rangers won't be re-signing Derek Morris. I'm praying they don't re-sign Paul Mara. He has been simply horrible the last 2 months. I know he may be playing hurt but regardless, the Rangers desperately need more speed on D. That should open up 2 spots.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    By the way, this kid was being courted by several teams. As in half the league supposedly. I believe the Devils had made him an offer early last year.

In case anyone's wondering why Gilroy wasn't drafted, from what I understand, it has taken him a while to develop and he wasn't really a good prospect at the time. Now that he has developed into a solid player, he's too old to be drafted and was therefore classified as a UFA. I don't know what kind of skill set this kid has. I hear he's fast and smart but don't know much about his shot, his passing, offensive skills or defensive skills. I imagine he's got some game if 24 teams have made inquiries about him.

The Rangers already have Sanguinetti and Del Zotto as top prospects in the system. I imagine this means that the Rangers won't be re-signing Derek Morris. I'm praying they don't re-sign Paul Mara. He has been simply horrible the last 2 months. I know he may be playing hurt but regardless, the Rangers desperately need more speed on D. That should open up 2 spots.
    yeah they outbid the leafs.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

I thought Mara was going to evolve into a tougher defenseman after the first month or two of the season. But he really is a slow, lumbering dufus that does not play as physical as his size at all. I'm ready for him to go. And I can't stand Rozival either.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morite View Post
    I thought Mara was going to evolve into a tougher defenseman after the first month or two of the season. But he really is a slow, lumbering dufus that does not play as physical as his size at all. I'm ready for him to go. And I can't stand Rozival either.
    When he got absolutely laid out by Matt Bradley along the boards in the first game, I realized that Mara was pretty soft for a big guy and that we need some fresh blood on D next year.

We've got him and two guys who are grossly overpaid and talent-challenged. Of those other two, I highly doubt Sather would or could bury both of them in Hartford. In fact, I highly doubt he'll stash either one there next year. After all, he's the one who made the decision to sign both of them to mindless contracts. Sather makes me scratch my head. He makes pretty good deals in trades for the most part and drafts fairly well but his FA signings have always been horrendous. It's as if he loses his grip with reality when the calendar hits July 1st.