Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I think we are taking Freeman.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;3091996]Rex Ryan is cut from the same mold as his old man. It would be very surprising to me that after all is said, that the JETS take an offensive player with Rex Ryan's first draft choice. I think Tanny will takes the best available defensive player for Rex Ryan. Period..............[/QUOTE]

Once again, you are the man with the insight. I agree and I hope

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there's a good change that Freeman ends up a Jet and my opinion on him has been pretty clear the past couple of months.

However, after watching the pre-draft press conference -- the Jets will definitely, without a doubt, take the [U]Best Player Available[/U].
    Last edited by dassin; 04-19-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassassin;3092086]I think there's a good change that he ends up a Jet.

However, after watching their pre-draft press conference -- the Jets will definitely without a doubt take the [U][B]Best Player Available[/B][/U].[/QUOTE]

One can only hope that they do in fact go BPA. Lets just pretend someone like Tyson Jackson falls... I'd hate to see us pass up on him, for a QB project.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't we drafted enough 2nd and 3rd tier QBs? Enough already! You might as well find out about the question marks we already have before we draft another question mark. If we can't draft a franchise QB (Strafford or Sanchez) this year I don't want to hear about it. We have too many serious needs to address before we add to our collection of Mo, Larry and Kellen. Personally, I hope they improve that front seven (Tyson Jackson or a man in the middle to help us if God Forbid Jenkins has problems again) or a wideout.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Integrity28;3092087]One can only hope that they do in fact go BPA. Lets just pretend someone like Tyson Jackson falls... I'd hate to see us pass up on him, for a QB project.[/QUOTE]

Is Tyson Jackson really that much of an improvement over what we have now?

He doesn't offer much as a pass-rusher, will be a very good run-blocker, and is just very solid in all aspects. I'll get killed for this, but Jackson's ceiling isn't THAT much higher than Kenyon Coleman IMO.

If I'm going DE in this draft, I want someone who has a much higher ceiling than Jackson. While I'm not a fan of him at 17, I love Jarron Gilbert at 52. He has the most potential as a pass-rusher and can split time with Coleman for the next year or two before taking over full-time.

I'm fine with a defensive player if we're going Malcolm Jenkins, Rey Maualuga, Everette Brown, or BJ Raji (trade up), but I'd much rather take a high potential offensive player like Freeman, DHB, or Maclin at 17. We won't have to pay them 50 Mil at 17, so it allows us to take a chance and won't be a 3 year setback.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Wallace Wright;3092096]Is Tyson Jackson really that much of an improvement over what we have now?[/QUOTE]

The best argument i can make for Tyson Jackson is that even though he might not be a huge improvement, he does give us a player who can rotate in and play at the level of what we have now, while being able to take over in a few years without us losing a beat. I think he could be a Shaun Ellis type in the 3-4 and get some pressure while being strong against the run.

Like you said not uber high ceiling, but i wouldnt be upset if hes who Tanny/Ryan decide to go with.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really would not want to go BPA. WR Round 1 / DE Round 2 / RB Round 3

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DE94Abraham;3092104]The best argument i can make for Tyson Jackson is that even though he might not be a huge improvement, he does give us a player who can rotate in and play at the level of what we have now, while being able to take over in a few years without us losing a beat. I think he could be a Shaun Ellis type in the 3-4 and get some pressure while being strong against the run.

Like you said not uber high ceiling, but i wouldnt be upset if hes who Tanny/Ryan decide to go with.[/QUOTE]

But isn't that the type of player you take in the 2nd/3rd and groom to be the successor?

I wouldn't be angry if we took Jackson either, but I think there are much better options for us there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DBAKE;3092008]none needed.....just my opinion, and as i said i am not even sure i want him.

who do you think we will take? not who do you want.[/QUOTE]

Not sure, actually, as I do not follow minor league football.;)

But with that said, I think we go one of three positions in the 1st: WR, TE or D-Line. I'd bet on D-Line. The talk by Ryan of "O" is a red herring.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Federal Hill Jet Fan;3092060]Once again, you are the man with the insight. I agree and I hope[/QUOTE]

Thanks Federal Hill, I just dont see the son of Buddy Ryan taking an offensive player with his very first pick as HC. .........

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Wallace Wright;3092120]But isn't that the type of player you take in the 2nd/3rd and groom to be the successor?

I wouldn't be angry if we took Jackson either, but I think there are much better options for us there.[/QUOTE]

Depends i guess on what you expect from him. I think his ceiling could be a Shaun Ellis type. Which IMO makes him a fine pick at 17. At the worst as you said hes Kenyon Coleman. Which all things considered isnt all that bad.

If he slides somewhere in between what we have now with Ellis/Coleman hes a good young guy to have for the longterm, as contrary to popular belief, 3-4 DEs who can apply pressure and take the run dont grow on trees.

He may not have the potential of Mario Williams, but id still say hes a good 1st round pick as he will still be a high level player IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3092024]Maualuga will be long gone by #17.[/QUOTE]

long gone, no way... gone a couple picks before, maybe... slips a couple spots to 17, possible.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassassin;3092086]I think there's a good change that Freeman ends up a Jet and my opinion on him has been pretty clear the past couple of months.

However, after watching the pre-draft press conference -- the Jets will definitely, without a doubt, take the [U]Best Player Available[/U].[/QUOTE]

... and @17, Freeman is FAR from BPA no matter how the chips fall on draft day.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    After looking the needs of the teams before us, either Maualuga or Jackson should be there at 17. I'd be happy with either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3091982]I hope we land Tyson Jackson[/QUOTE]

A "replacement" or "heir apparent" for Ellis wouldn't be a bad decision. I also like Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech. He's 6'7" 1/8 and 258 lbs, 4.64 forty time. A MONSTER. To me he has "Gholston bust potential" to him. He's a specimen, but he's full of potential.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Lantern 80;3092332]A "replacement" or "heir apparent" for Ellis wouldn't be a bad decision. I also like Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech. He's 6'7" 1/8 and 258 lbs, 4.64 forty time. A MONSTER. To me he has "Gholston bust potential" to him. He's a specimen, but he's full of potential.[/QUOTE]

He'll need to put on 30+ lbs to be a 3-4 DE. At 6'7 it shouldn't be a problem

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    if we picked Freeman i will be so sick

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DBAKE;3091973]I have read just about every mock that was posted, a lot have us going WR, some QB some defense. Usually by the time draft day comes I narrow it down to the guy I think we are going with.....Unless I get a last minute change of heart I think we are taking Freeman.

Am I happy with the pick???? I am not sure.....i am really not sure.

If we go Freeman with the 1st and get a steal of a WR in this deep class in the 2nd, I could live with it.

anyone else get the feeling freeman is our pick?[/QUOTE]

I sure hope you are wrong. The guy is a project and if he does defy the odds it will likely be a couple of years before he can do anything for us. i would much rather go for a defensive lineman or a big bruiser RB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;3092014]Says the fleck who should be apologizing for his existence.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause: CLASSIC

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;3092138]Thanks Federal Hill, I just dont see the son of Buddy Ryan taking an offensive player with his very first pick as HC. .........[/QUOTE]

Sorry can't agree here. As much as a D-coach loves D players he still has to realize that if the best thing for the team is an offensive guy then thats who you pick.

Example: Joe Flacco, Ryan has seen what it is like to have a viable Qb and not have a viable QB (Boller) in his time.

The Jets could take a D player 1st but I hope to god that Ryan is not that close to his father because I will have misjudged him and don;t want him as the coach.

Buddy Ryan for all his defensive genius was a bit of a whack job in his favouring of all things defense.