Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I think we are taking Freeman.

i wish i had a stronger opinion of whether or not i thought the jets should take freeman, but i'm so on the fence. who doesn't want that big, strong-armed franchise qb? on the other hand, odds are he doesn't pan out to the hype or a mid first round draft pick anyway.

further, i'm not enthusiastic about the jets taking a wr either. i'm not a fan of taking 1st round wrs, even though santana moss looked like he was worth it. the jets have had a lot of success finding wrs in later rounds, and i think measurables for wrs entice teams to make real bad draft day mistakes with wrs, moreso than with other positions.

in a nutshell, if the jets go offense in round 1, i'd like it to be moreno. i've actually softened my stance on pettigrew. he'd enhance both the passing and running games, and he'd help a guy like clemens who can flick the ball quickly to a big target like him.

but pettigrew won't get me excited, and hey, we all want to get excited on draft day, right?

[QUOTE=Starkweather;3092299]... and @17, Freeman is FAR from BPA no matter how the chips fall on draft day.[/QUOTE]

According to Gil Brandt and Mike Mayock, the 17th pick is pretty much right on target for Freeman in terms of value.

[QUOTE=DBAKE;3091973]I have read just about every mock that was posted, a lot have us going WR, some QB some defense. Usually by the time draft day comes I narrow it down to the guy I think we are going with.....Unless I get a last minute change of heart I think we are taking Freeman.

Am I happy with the pick???? I am not sure.....i am really not sure.

If we go Freeman with the 1st and get a steal of a WR in this deep class in the 2nd, I could live with it.

anyone else get the feeling freeman is our pick?[/QUOTE]

wow, most mocks had us taking chris long last year

[QUOTE=dassassin;3092373]According to Gil Brandt and Mike Mayock, the 17th pick is pretty much right on target for Freeman in terms of value.[/QUOTE]

i saw this and i don't understand how freeman moved up so much. maybe his gamefilm showed that freeman did unconventional things when his team was losing and that many of his bad habits are of the correctable variety.

All League
    When people say Best Available Player, what does that exactly mean?

Is it the best as of 4/25/09?

Is it the Best as of Week 1, 2009?
    Or are we looking at projecting a prospect at year 2 or 3?

There are obviously some players that may have peaked and are destined to have better rookie years than the picks ahead of them. But as they develop, things can and usually change.

I am not endorsing any picks, but I think a good example can be Pettigrew vs. Freeman.

Right now Pettigrew could start for more than a few teams and I think he could hold his own. It Atlanta takes him, he will be one of the better TEs in the NFC if he can stay healthy.

In contrast, Freeman's body of work is minimal so the biggest thing going for him is his physical attributes and his high end character. Those two traits bode well for him, but probably not immediately.

So year one: Pettigrew gets the nod.
    Year two: Same but the gap may close because, unless Pettigrew catches a ton of TDs, he is what he is, a blocking TE that can haul in somewhere around 40 balls, IMO.

Year three: Freeman is a starting QB who will remind people of Roethlisberger but way more mobile. So he could be the better player and make a much larger contribtution to his team than Pettigrew.

The same can be said for a host of other type players, specifically the WRs.

Is Tanny secure enough in his position to take a flyer on another developmental player in Freeman, or does he want to at least draft an immediate solid contributer?

My guess is that Tanny can and will take a few more risks because of Rex's background and history of producing players whether they be 1st round projects or undrafted guys. Rex is the type of HC that can make a GM look very good. I will be suprised if we don't end up with either Sanchez or Freeman in this draft. But then again, I am suprised every draft so there you go.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=copernicus;3091996]Rex Ryan is cut from the same mold as his old man. It would be very surprising to me that after all is said, that the JETS take an offensive player with Rex Ryan's first draft choice. I think Tanny will takes the best available defensive player for Rex Ryan. Period..............[/QUOTE]

How do you come to this conclusion?

Buddy's 1st draft pick was Keith Byars.

His next draft picked D and brought in J Brown.

His 3rd year he took Keith Jackson at TE with the 1st pick.

Smoke screen..... we are taking the best player on the board or trading down to get more picks.

I'm willing to put all my eggs in one basket and say we're trading down...

We will have a late first a mid second and a late second...

You can bank that one of those three picks will be a WR, one a TE and one a DE or DT/NT...

:D

That would be my ideal draft day (1)...

[QUOTE=dassassin;3092670]Whats a smoke screen?[/QUOTE]

smoke screen is a fake signal we may want him to get teams (like Tampa) to bite and trade for our pick and get their 19th and say a 4th....

Happened with Robertson, Harris and Revis where we bit on it....

Our 3 QB's have a combined total of 8 starts, and 2 out of the 3 have never palyed a down in the NFL. Why would we want another QB on the roster with no experience? This is a lousy draft for quarterbacks - let's wait at least a year to see if Clemens or Ratliff pan out before drafting another QB.

Has anyone given any thought to the possibilty of the Jets trading up to get Crabtree?

[QUOTE=Jerricho89;3092686]Our 3 QB's have a combined total of 8 starts, and 2 out of the 3 have never palyed a down in the NFL. Why would we want another QB on the roster with no experience? This is a lousy draft for quarterbacks - let's wait at least a year to see if Clemens or Ratliff pan out before drafting another QB.

Has anyone given any thought to the possibilty of the Jets trading up to get Crabtree?[/QUOTE]

I would be interested in investigating this. It might be very expensive to get high enough (at least ahead of Raiders) to draft Crabtree. It might get to the point where it might be less expensive compensation wise to trade for Bouldin. What would you want to do in that scenario?

All League
    [QUOTE=Flagman5A;3092677]smoke screen is a fake signal we may want him to get teams (like Tampa) to bite and trade for our pick and get their 19th and say a 4th....

Happened with Robertson, Harris and Revis where we bit on it....[/QUOTE]

Tampa doesn't have a 2nd round pick so I doubt it would be them. IMO, if we move down, it will be with Indy or Ten, with either of them moving up to get Harvin/Britt/ or DHB. You could add AZ in that mix if they deal Boldin to Philadelphia.

If we do move down, IMO, it will be with hopes that Freeman will drop as well. If its Pettigrew they want, the need to stay in front of ATL. Not possible is we are moving down. If its a WR in particular, than we would take them at 17 because it will become a free-for-all as Britt/Harvin/DHB should be on the board around 17-20 with teams like Indy, Ten, Phi (or AZ), NYG, and perhaps Balt all looking at WR.

If they are targeting one guy than I don't agree that we should move down just to pick up a 3rd rounder. If its all the way to the bottom of the first and we can recoup a second, than great but only if they don't have anyone in mind.

We have a lot of holes on offense, and it seems that theis draft is heavy on offense (at least in the first 30 - 45 picks) than we really shouldn't be moving anywhere. Take the BAP that just so happens to be at a position of need.

All League
    [QUOTE=Jerricho89;3092686]Our 3 QB's have a combined total of 8 starts, and 2 out of the 3 have never palyed a down in the NFL. Why would we want another QB on the roster with no experience? This is a lousy draft for quarterbacks - let's wait at least a year to see if Clemens or Ratliff pan out before drafting another QB.

Has anyone given any thought to the possibilty of the Jets trading up to get Crabtree?[/QUOTE]

I don't think very many FOs value the WR position that much to grab a guy in the top 5. Not saying that Fitz or Andre Johnson are not worth it, but Crabtree hasn't been able to run yet. Couple that with the fact that it would cost us the better part of two drafts to get there to take him, it would be tremendously cost-prohibitive.

As far as the lousy QB draft, its lousy if you have to take Stafford or Sanchez at the top of the draft and pay them accordingly. Its lousy if you need a QB and you have to choose from this class minus Stafford/Sanchez/ and Freeman.

If Sanchez or Freeman are there at 17, I really don't understand how we could pass. Specifically Sanchez. But either would be an instand upgrade. Both would allow the FO to give Clemens an opportunity to play this year and prove himself. Best case scenario, he performs like Cassell and the Jets have a tradable commodity. Likely scenario, he fits as a stopgap for one season and Freeman takes over in December.

All League
    [QUOTE=SigmaXJet;3092376]wow, most mocks had us taking chris long last year[/QUOTE]

really? i recall very few having had him drop to us....:confused:

All League
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3092493]Bake, I think we're taking [B]Knowshon Moreno[/B] ... Just a hunch

But if you told me in advance it will definitely NOT be Moreno, that much we know for a fact, so you have to project someone else .. the someone else I would project is Freeman, so I think there's a really good chance you may be right[/QUOTE]

ham, if i am right what would your reaction be??

[QUOTE=DBAKE;3092894]ham, if i am right what would your reaction be??[/QUOTE]

I hope all of the NYJ fanbase will react better than Philly in 1999.

All League
    [QUOTE=DBAKE;3092891]really? i recall very few having had him drop to us....:confused:[/QUOTE]

FWIW, last year the top 6 were interchangable. I think their was a consensus that the top 6 in any order would be Long, Long, Gholston, McFadden, Ryan, and the DT from LSU.

If we look at the NFL.com Mock draft central, all four guys including Pat Kirwan who used to be in the Jets FO, have us taking Freeman. All four.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fb153b&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true[/url]

[QUOTE=pcola;3092896]FWIW, last year the top 6 were interchangable. I think their was a consensus that the top 6 in any order would be Long, Long, Gholston, McFadden, Ryan, and the DT from LSU.

If we look at the NFL.com Mock draft central, all four guys including Pat Kirwan [B]who used to be in the Jets FO[/B], have us taking Freeman. All four.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fb153b&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true[/url][/QUOTE]

Perhaps, there's a reason why they're no longer there ;)

All League
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;3092905]Perhaps, there's a reason why they're no longer there ;)[/QUOTE]

I know you are only kidding, but Kirwan was in the unfortunate position of being there when Dick Steinberg passed away. Hess brings in Kotite and out went the FO. Thats why he is so close to Pete Carroll. If you ever listen to the guy on Sirius, he is very candid and not afraid to tell behind the scenes stuff on how he operated the FO.

I will never forget the time he told the story behind the Jets signing free agent Rams S Pat Terrell. Said he was on vacation at Disney. He was waiting in this line forever (with his kids) and he turned around and there Pat was. Knowing he was a FA and knowing that he had about "1 hour and 45 minute wait from here" he went to work. He said by the time they got on the ride, Pat Terrell was a Jet. That's almost as cool as the Bart Scott signing, you have to admit.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=pcola;3092922]I know you are only kidding, but Kirwan was in the unfortunate position of being there when Dick Steinberg passed away. Hess brings in Kotite and out went the FO. Thats why he is so close to Pete Carroll. If you ever listen to the guy on Sirius, he is very candid and not afraid to tell behind the scenes stuff on how he operated the FO.

[B]I will never forget the time he told the story behind the Jets signing free agent Rams S Pat Terrell. Said he was on vacation at Disney. He was waiting in this line forever (with his kids) and he turned around and there Pat was. Knowing he was a FA and knowing that he had about "1 hour and 45 minute wait from here" he went to work. He said by the time they got on the ride, Pat Terrell was a Jet. That's almost as cool as the Bart Scott signing, you have to admit.[/B][/QUOTE]

Very cool.