Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pat Kirwan on WFAN

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassin;3098077]My thoughts exactly...[/QUOTE]

Lol, you're grabbing at straws man.. just take a deep breath and embrace the pain.. it's your friend. and so is Pettigrew

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3097896]I wouldn't read too much into that.

I believe the Jets never worked out Revis but then traded up to get him...[/QUOTE]

completely false- the Jets brought Revis in for an official visit in the final week....

if you are thinking of taking a signal caller w/the 17th pick of the draft you best get to know him as well as you possibly can....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3098293]Lol, you're grabbing at straws man.. just take a deep breath and embrace the pain.. it's your friend. and so is Pettigrew[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, it wouldn't hurt me if we didn't pick Freeman. Probably for the first time ever I am just going to support who the Jets pick, pretty much the only person I'd be furious with is Beanie Wells.

Trading down for Pettigrew would be ok, I guess.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3098309]completely false- the Jets brought Revis in for an official visit in the final week....

if you are thinking of taking a signal caller w/the 17th pick of the draft you best get to know him as well as you possibly can....[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought I heard Revis say he never workedout/talked to the Jets.

Didn't the Jets already meet,talk and workout Freeman a couple of weeks ago--over a 2 day period?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3098322]Really? I thought I heard Revis say he never workedout/talked to the Jets.

Didn't the Jets already meet,talk and workout Freeman a couple of weeks ago--over a 2 day period?[/QUOTE]

Yes - Ryan, Schott, Mike T. worked him out

[URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/03/15/2009-03-15_jets_eye_kansas_state_quarterback_josh_f.html"]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/03/15/2009-03-15_jets_eye_kansas_state_quarterback_josh_f.html[/URL]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3097902]Jets aren't getting a QB this weekend. Period.[/QUOTE]

I agree. They just want people to believe they would take a QB to ensure that all 3 QB's are taken before 17. As a result, they could do no worse than the non QB they have ranked at #14 on their board being available at #17. Solid strategy, and in the fickle NFL, the best way to make people believe you intend to draft a QB is to deny it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3097902]Jets aren't getting a QB this weekend. Period.[/QUOTE]

If the jets really needed a Qb they would have gone for CUTLER! The jets have RATTY to be the Qb of the future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    quiz: what team in the nfl has a worse qb situation than the jets?
    answer: nobody.

no team has more uncertainty at qb. the lions will fix their qb situation early in tomorrow's draft. the jets have THE WORST qbs in the nfl. newsflash: tannenbaum is getting a new qb for this team or he will soon be out of a job. he inherited chad, knew his lack of arm strength was a major problem, drafted clemens, hasn't yet panned out, signed farve, worked for 11 games. tanny's job is on the line. woody needs to sell tickets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;3098369]quiz: what team in the nfl has a worse qb situation than the jets?
    answer: nobody.

no team has more uncertainty at qb. the lions will fix their qb situation early in tomorrow's draft. the jets have THE WORST qbs in the nfl. newsflash: tannenbaum is getting a new qb for this team or he will soon be out of a job. he inherited chad, knew his lack of arm strength was a major problem, drafted clemens, [B]hasn't yet panned out[/B], signed farve, worked for 11 games. tanny's job is on the line. woody needs to sell tickets.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. They intend to find out whether their QB is on the roster now before spending first round money on a QB. If it does not work ou, then next year will be the year they pick a QB in the first round.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;3098388]Exactly. They intend to find out whether their QB is on the roster now before spending first round money on a QB. If it does not work ou, then next year will be the year they pick a QB in the first round.[/QUOTE]

Not really.

augustiniak makes a great point. For all the good Tanny has done since taking over as GM, he still hasn't supplied us with a franchise QB. I love the guy, but he isn't going to last much longer unless he gives this team what it's been lacking for close to 40 years.

We've already passed over guys like Cutler and Quinn the past few years. This is the perfect time to make a move to get our franchise signal caller. This team doesn't have a huge list of needs, but the one need that stands out like a sore thumb is QB.

Tannenbaum isn't going to rest the fate of his career on a disappointment like Clemens and an UDFA like Ratliff.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;3098388]Exactly. They intend to find out whether their QB is on the roster now before spending first round money on a QB. If it does not work ou, then next year will be the year they pick a QB in the first round.[/QUOTE]

no. a good gm can't go into a season without any promising qbs on the roster. it's career suicide. there's a reason they didn't sign a vet like garcia this offseason. there's also a reason clemens hasn't beaten anyone out yet in TC either.

this isn't what the fans want. sure, i'd love to see what clemens can do as the starter. maybe he can do ok. i'm sure tannenbaum wants clemens to improve as well. but tannenbaum isn't just a fan. he has a job to get the jets into the playoffs and the superbowl. and he's in a division with the best coach of our generation. if tannenbaum can't bring in a qb who has a shot at beating NE, tannenbaum will be unemployed. he whiffed on cutler a few years ago. he has so far whiffed on clemens. the fans may give him mulligans, but that doesn't mean his boss will.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone considered the possibility that one of our QBs excels this year and we have a first rate caliber signal caller on the team next year without having to mortage the farm or give up a litany of drafts picks? is that so insane to hope for?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You do understand that if none of the QB's currently on the roster are any good Tanenbaum might not even have a job next year? If the Jets go 8-8 or worse and Clemens or Rat don't impress Tanny would probably be the one taking the hit - not Rex.

1st round QB doesn't solve that problem either though the Jets could use the "our QB is still learning" excuse. Trading for Quinn or Campbell probably makes us a better team immediately.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3098403]Has anyone considered the possibility that one of our QBs excels this year and we have a first rate caliber signal caller on the team next year without having to mortage the farm or give up a litany of drafts picks? is that so insane to hope for?[/QUOTE]

What exactly are the odds of that happening? Seriously.

Give me a few reasons as to why I should think Clemens/Ratliff can even be starters in this league, much less franchise material.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3098403]Has anyone considered the possibility that one of our QBs excels this year and we have a first rate caliber signal caller on the team next year without having to mortage the farm or give up a litany of drafts picks? is that so insane to hope for?[/QUOTE]

hope for whatever you want. if you're tannenbaum, are you willing to risk your job as gm of the jets by "hoping" that either clemens or ratliff shows enough promise to be the unquestioned qb of the future? this isn't an experiment - this is a man's job. put yourself in his shoes. don't you think he's hoped for 3 years that clemens would show enough to anyone in the organization? this isn't a "wow, let's see if clemens can do it - i'm really pulling for him..." this is a "wow, this may be my last chance to bring in a good qb or i'm going to be looking for another job in the nfl."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3098405]You do understand that if none of the QB's currently on the roster are any good Tanenbaum might not even have a job next year? If the Jets go 8-8 or worse and Clemens or Rat don't impress Tanny would probably be the one taking the hit - not Rex.

1st round QB doesn't solve that problem either though the Jets could use the "our QB is still learning" excuse. Trading for Quinn or Campbell probably makes us a better team immediately.[/QUOTE]

what tannenbaum is "hoping" for is that he gets a qb tomorrow, then clemens also shows promise and he has 2 qbs. in the end, he's hoping someone emerges so he can keep his job.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3098309]completely false- the Jets brought Revis in for an official visit in the final week....

if you are thinking of taking a signal caller w/the 17th pick of the draft you best get to know him as well as you possibly can....[/QUOTE]

My bad...

By Tom Rock

Just finished speaking with Tannebaum, Mangini and Revis. The rookie CB is already a master at Jets-speak. When asked if he felt any disappointment that the Steelers, his hometown team, didn;t get a chance to select him, his answer was pure blah. "Whatever team picked me was the best situation for me."

Of course, first-round draft picks aren't judged on quotability (at least not outside this press room). All signs seem to point at this being a good, aggressive move by the Jets. Tannenbaum spoke about cornerbacks being a "premium position" on the free-agent market, and that a common element on successful NFL teams is depth at cornerback.

The Jets made it clear that Revis was the guy they wanted, and they were even in discussions earlier to move up and snag him. Mangini said the team liked Revis on tape but really fell in love with him during their meetings in New York. Tannenbaum said that the Jets acquired the 14th pick to select Revis and there were no negotiations with other teams about trading the pick they had just traded for. The team took the full 15 minutes to make the pick so they could make one final check and get everyone in the war room on board.

[url]http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/blog/2007/04/[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3098405]You do understand that if none of the QB's currently on the roster are any good Tanenbaum might not even have a job next year? If the Jets go 8-8 or worse and Clemens or Rat don't impress Tanny would probably be the one taking the hit - not Rex.

1st round QB doesn't solve that problem either though the Jets could use the "our QB is still learning" excuse. Trading for Quinn or Campbell probably makes us a better team immediately.[/QUOTE]

I seem to recall that Clemens won a few games as QB of a horrible team. Even if he is not great, I am certain he can be average. And I completely disagree with the notion that not getting a franchise QB this year will doom Tanny. You make it sound like finding a franchise QB is easy when it is one of the hardest positions to evaluate in all of sports. Fortunately, we have a knowledgeable owner who understands how hard it is to find a franchise QB and has no desire to "reach" for a QB. Woody knows that patience with the QB position will payoff. For that reason, Clemens, or Ratty, will get a shot this year. First we build a chamionship caliber D, then we find the answer at QB if he's not already on the roster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;3098430]I seem to recall that Clemens won a few games as QB of a horrible team. Even if he is not great, I am certain he can be average. And I completely disagree with the notion that not getting a franchise QB this year will doom Tanny. You make it sound like finding a franchise QB is easy when it is one of the hardest positions to evaluate in all of sports. Fortunately, we have a knowledgeable owner who understands how hard it is to find a franchise QB and has no desire to "reach" for a QB. Woody knows that patience with the QB position will payoff. For that reason, Clemens, or Ratty, will get a shot this year. First we build a chamionship caliber D, then we find the answer at QB if he's not already on the roster.[/QUOTE]

woody is having trouble selling tickets. woody wants a new, sexy qb.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3098322]

Didn't the Jets already meet,talk and workout Freeman a couple of weeks ago--over a 2 day period?[/QUOTE]

yes they did.....