Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL in talks on London Super Bowl

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3098142][B]Goodell says "not aware" of London Super Bowl talks[/B]

Just heard him on the Dan Patrick radio show. The next 3 SB's are Miami, Dallas, Indianapolis. There will be a vote for the one after that in May. Possibilities are New Orleans, Arizona, Miami. He said that they often discuss future games with London officials but he was not aware of any Super Bowl discussions.[/QUOTE]

The commissioner has little or no say in where the SB is played. The NFL has a committee that investigates and plans the game. Its not surprising that he has not heard about this.

this would be the stupidest thing in the world. who in London will pay the prices to see the SB. they dont care that much

Banned
    [QUOTE=sect313;3098160]this would be the stupidest thing in the world. who in London will pay the prices to see the SB. they dont care that much[/QUOTE]

They could play the Super Bowl on the moon and people will still pay those prices.

To non-football fans, the Super Bowl is a social event that wealthy people will always attend.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3098178]They could play the Super Bowl on the moon and people will still pay those prices.

To non-football fans, the Super Bowl is a social event that wealthy people will always attend.[/QUOTE]

Pay what prices? The majority of tickets go to the corporate sponsors gratis.

Not gonna lie, that's downright stupid. Football isn't really played outside North America, no one over there gives a ****.

Undrafted Free Agent
    that would be aweeeeeeeeeeeeesome!!!! do it.

Undrafted Free Agent
    "Not gonna lie, that's downright stupid. Football isn't really played outside North America, no one over there gives a ****."

you'd be suprised, american football has gotten alot more popular here in england since the arrival of the regular season games at wembly. The sport was already popular here in the UK and i think alot of people would give a **** rather than not.

All Pro
    [quote=Voisey;3098310]"Not gonna lie, that's downright stupid. Football isn't really played outside North America, no one over there gives a ****."

you'd be suprised, american football has gotten alot more popular here in england since the arrival of the regular season games at wembly. The sport was already popular here in the UK and i think alot of people would give a **** rather than not.[/quote]

I've been to the Wembley games, I've flown over twice to New York and taken in 3 Jets games (plus 1 Giants game), and I would buy a London Superbowl ticket in a New York minute! :D

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3098008]ok an NFL Super Bowl in London...what in the name of all that is holy is the thought process here other than cashing in?

This idea sickens me...I'm inching ever closer to being done with pro sports. :steamin:[/QUOTE]

+1

All League

GOodell and the NFL better watch themselves.

I don't understand this latest rumor that the NFL is talking about having a Super Bowl in London. That is the DUMBEST, CRAZIEST idea I have heard in a long time. This would only alienate a LOT of people who are true NFL fans, and just doesn't make any sense. NFL Football is an American game, Europeans may see it as an interesting sideshow but they don't understand or care about the game.

Right now, the "Average Joe" fan is being totally priced out of going to an NFL game with his son or buddies. PSLs are going out of control, prices for season tickets are RIDICULOUS, and even prices for SIngle game UPPER DECK seats are going through the roof. Tack on the additional price of just having the priveledge of PARKING, a couple of $7.00 Beers or Sodas, and you're looking at AT LEAST $220+ just for TWO people to go to a game....

So you want to stay home and watch? But your favorite team isn't on Network in your area? Well, you can always pay around $500 to get NFL Sunday Ticket (but only if you have Satellite), or you can go to a bar and watch....Unless its a Thursday night game and its on NFL network. Then you have to have DirecTV or pay EXTRA to Comcast to get NFL Network.

Pretty soon, the "Average Guy", a guy who makes 50k a year with a family won't be able to GO to a game, will have to PAY extra to WATCH games, and then, will have to see ONLY the Truly Wealthy be able to attend the SUper Bowl because its in stinkin' LONDON!

But hey, the Pro-Bowl will be in Miami, right?

Just seems like the NFL is forgetting who its die-hard fans ARE and are doing everything in their power to alienate them and make it impossible for REAL FANS to go to a game the way people used to back in the day...

Godell* is a D-bagg in Kraft's back pocket

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

It's Simchas Torah. No way they can schedule it in London in February. Too many British Jews who wouldn't be able to go.

SAR I

All Pro
    This would be the worst PR move in recent memory.

I can't possibly see this happening.

The NFL is firmly placed atop the American sports world -- a move like this would trump any strike, lockout, or steriod scandal in my opinion.

Undrafted Free Agent
    On the upside, if the NFL does decide to play the Super Bowl in London, you just know the Jets will be in it... it only makes sense for us.

But seriously, Goodell... it's one thing to take away regular season games which is sh*tty enough. I live in Chicago and would be pissed if the Jets were coming out here to play the Bears only to have the game moved overseas. I mean are the owners not making enough money charging us over $100/ticket for the "cheap" seats? That's bad enough but to move the biggest game of the year over there? To take it an extra 3000 miles away from all the die hard fans? F**k that. To potentially make it that much harder for the fans of a possibly moribund franchise that have been waiting decades for "their year" to come to go see the game? F**k that. This is a terrible idea and I hope Goodell and the NFL come to their senses.

All League
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3098766]It's Simchas Torah. No way they can schedule it in London in February. Too many British Jews who wouldn't be able to go.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Hey, Charlie Winner and Lou Holtz didn't make the Hall?

Hall Of Fame
    let's be serious...they could have the super bowl in new zealand and still pull in historic ratings...football is here to stay fellas.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3098769]This would be the worst PR move in recent memory.

I can't possibly see this happening.

The NFL is firmly placed atop the American sports world -- a move like this would trump any strike, lockout, or steriod scandal in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

+1 the rest of the world doesn't really care about football.

yea this would not be a good move..

however if they do decide to add a couple of games to the regular season i.e. 18 game reg. season..that would push the super bowl to mid feb..and they would make the super bowl the sunday before presidents day (where monday is the holiday off) now that would be awesome..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

i'd be psyched to go see a super bowl in london - what's the diff, you're spending a fortune either way, I'd just as soon go to london as miami, dallas or indianapolis...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote=gqxluvx;3098989]yea this would not be a good move..

however if they do decide to add a couple of games to the regular season i.e. 18 game reg. season..that would push the super bowl to mid feb..and they would make the super bowl the sunday before presidents day (where monday is the holiday off) now that would be awesome..[/quote]i thought that any additional games would be in lieu of preseason, so they wouldn't necessarily push the schedule back, right?