Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM Tannenbaum: Jets looking to move up(for any number of players)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

GM Tannenbaum: Jets looking to move up(for any number of players)

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4096800[/url]

In a one-on-one interview ESPN's Sal Paolantonio, general manager Mike Tannenbaum said the New York Jets are looking to move up in the first round from the No. 17 pick.

Tannenbaum said the Jets could be moving for any number of players.

"We are not fixated on Mark Sanchez," Tannenbaum said fo the USC quarterback. But league sources say the Jets are competing with the Washington Redskins for Sanchez. The Redskins, at No. 12, are in a better position to move up to No. 4 to take Sanchez.

"Moving from 17 to four is heavy lifting for the Jets," one general manager said.

The Jets are hoping that Sanchez falls further, perhaps to No. 8. They have already discussed a possible swap with the Jaguars for their pick. The Jets are keeping an eye on other offensive talent in the first round, including Maryland wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey and Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew. Moving up for either player is a distinct possibility for the Jets.

Bewildered Beast
    Thanks Locke!

All Pro
    What the hell is going on here? what is all this crap?? Has the FO lost their goddamned minds? i thought we wanted to move back, collect picks, get value in the 2nd and 3rd. Since when did we seriously friggin decide that giving away our draft for a Sir-Bust-alot was the right move??

All League
    Id rather trade up if sticking at 17 means we take Brandon pettigrew or Darrius Heyward-Bey.

I've come to the conclusion that the Jets are gonna trade down, then they're gonna trade back up and once they're done they're gonna stay put and pick where they are.

All League
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;3098780][url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4096800[/url]

In a one-on-one interview ESPN's Sal Paolantonio, general manager Mike Tannenbaum said the New York Jets are looking to move up in the first round from the No. 17 pick.

"We are not fixated on Mark Sanchez," Tannenbaum said fo the USC quarterback. But league sources say the Jets are competing with the Washington Redskins for Sanchez. The Redskins, at No. 12, are in a better position to move up to No. 4 to take Sanchez.

"Moving from 17 to four is heavy lifting for the Jets," one general manager said.

The Jets are hoping that Sanchez falls further, perhaps to No. 8. They have already discussed a possible swap with the Jaguars for their pick. The Jets are keeping an eye on other offensive talent in the first round, including Maryland wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey and Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew. [B]Moving up for either player is a distinct possibility for the Jets.[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm not necessarily against the idea of moving up...but I'd be really disappointed if it's for DHB or Pettigrew...we can get that caliber player just by staying put, or even trading down.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Haha, they're not moving up for a frickin blocking tight-end (yes, I know he reportedly can catch too, but I'm not too impressed with his touchdown total as a senior)

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3098831]Haha, they're not moving up for a frickin blocking tight-end (yes, I know he reportedly can catch too, but I'm not too impressed with his touchdown total as a senior)[/QUOTE]

didnt he have as many tds last season as gholston had sacks in his rookie year?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=woodside;3098833]didnt he have as many tds last season as gholston had sacks in his rookie year?[/QUOTE]

:yes:

What a disaster it would be if Tanny's 1st round picks in consecutive years were Gholston and Pettigrew.

All Pro
    Tannenbaum is blowing as much smoke as possible at the moment. That's all this is. Why would any GM suddenly disclose what they're planning to do on draft day like this?

Only way to know what they're doing is to wait till after it's all done.

The biggest surprise is that Tanny would announce the Jets moving up. Certainly not for DHB or Pettigrew. At #17 we're in good shape to pick Petti(and DHB too.) Raider's Al Davis could possibly be so obsessed with speed, that he could pick DHB over Crabtree or Maclin. But for the Jets to move inside of #7 for these players just doesn't make sense.

IMO, only a Sanchez or Raji can be justified to make such a costly move. If this wasn't a smokescreen of Jets true intentions, what benefit would they gain by announcing it?

Jets Insider VIP
    There are only three players I can see the Jets moving up for.

Sanchez, Crabtree, and Raji.

If we move up for DHB or Pettigrew, then all hell will break loose and rightfully so.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3098881]There are only ONE players I can see the Jets moving up for.

Raji.

If we move up for DHB or Pettigrew, then all hell will break loose and rightfully so.[/QUOTE]

Corrected

unless tanny is trying to get snyder to jump the gun and trade up and get sanchez. maybe that's what tanny is trying to do. i don't know why he would want to do that, but hey, tanny has proven to be shrewd thus far on draft day. you have to believe he has something going on here.

Veteran
    All I know is that by 8 PM EST Saturday, [B]the Jets will have a veteran QB on their roster.[/B]

There is no way they go into the season with 2 unproven QB's with 8 games between them.

If this was Cincinnati, then yes, we do that.

But this is New York. Too big a risk and Tannenbaum is not going to take it.

[QUOTE=LockeJET;3098780][url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4096800[/url]

The Jets are hoping that Sanchez falls further, perhaps to No. 8. They have already discussed a possible swap with the Jaguars for their pick. The Jets are keeping an eye on other offensive talent in the first round, [B]including Maryland wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey[/B] and Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew. Moving up for either player is a distinct possibility for the Jets.[/QUOTE]

I'll need to purchase a new TV if it's DHB. Dear god not him!!

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3098881]There are only three players I can see the Jets moving up for.

Sanchez, Crabtree, and Raji.

If we move up for DHB or Pettigrew, then all hell will break loose and rightfully so.[/QUOTE]

I guarantee you -- if we move up for a WR, it'll be Maclin, not Crabtree.

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3098837]:yes:

What a disaster it would be if Tanny's 1st round picks in consecutive years were Gholston and Pettigrew.[/QUOTE]

your right buzz......i have been very happy with tanny up to this point and i cut him some slack b/c last year it seemed like we were "forced" to take gholston but a blocking TE in round 1......oh boy!!

[QUOTE=DE94Abraham;3098798]Id rather trade up if sticking at 17 means we take Brandon pettigrew or Darrius Heyward-Bey.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather trade down if those are our two choices at 17. I'd rather move down 7-8 slots, get an extra third and grab Nicks.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=JamesR;3098839]Tannenbaum is blowing as much smoke as possible at the moment. That's all this is. Why would any GM suddenly disclose what they're planning to do on draft day like this?

Only way to know what they're doing is to wait till after it's all done.[/QUOTE]

I gotta tell you that I hope youre right. For some reason I am getting completely sucked into this back and forth this year.

Best move for the Jets is to stay at 17 or trade down. To trade up would be a
    disaster