Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time For Sanity To Return To The Board ...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Time For Sanity To Return To The Board ...

Is Mark Sanchez a franchise QB, I have no idea. I've basically retired from
    the QB prediction business. I haven't been right about one since Leinart, I
    thought he was too much of a playboy and had crappy arm strength. Other
    than that I've been clueless:

Matt Ryan - I thought he was nothing special and only worth a mid round #1
    pick (He turns ATL around and looks to be a franchise QB)

Joe Flacco - I loved his arm but thought he was 2-3 years away (He starts
    right away and is a couple of minutes away from a SB)

Chad Henne - I thought he was the best value QB in the draft (He wasn't
    good enough to beat out Pennington for a team that had won one game)

Jamarcus Russell - I thought he was the second coming of the good Daunte
    Culpepper (He puts on too much weight and looks to be on the road to being
    a bust)

I don't need to go any further. What gives me hope about Sanchez is that
    Mike Mayock rated him the #1 QB in this draft and compared him to Matt
    Ryan when he was breaking him down. As far as the price for going up to
    #5 I think the Jets got off cheap. To me they basically swapped #1's and
    gave up their #2. The players they gave up were backups and a marginal
    starter:

Coleman - A two gap 3-4 DE who anchors well but that's it. He doesn't fit
    into Ryan's one gap penetrating scheme. Marques Douglas was going to
    beat him out

Elam - A safety who has shown big play ability but is a liability in coverage.
    He would have been interesting to watch in Ryan's attacking scheme but he
    was a backup to Rhodes & Leonhard

Ratliff - A QB who showed good arm strength and excelled in the "pre-season"
    but that's it. From reports he was struggling in the competition against
    Clemens

So for all of the "fans" who were screaming that they gave up too much,
    pipe down!!! You were just upset that the Jets were done at 5 pm and
    you had nothing to watch the rest of the night. As far as today there are
    some good values left on the board and they should be able to fill the
    following needs:

WR, 3-4 DE, TE & S

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you that it is a crap shoot picking these QBs. I was not totally sold on Sanchez until I heard Phil Simms talk about him Friday on the WFAN. He raved about him and said he was the best QB in the draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey KRL

Thanks for the sanity. I agree that QB is the toughest position to predict. That said, I am grateful that the FO worked him out, decided he was good, and then took bold action (at nearly zero cost) to get what they evaluated as a franchise QB.

On another note. The KRL camp reports are of legendary quality. Any chance you'll be traveling to Cortland?

Thanks
    GG

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really wasn't that interested in going QB in Round 1 (esp. with the notion of picking Freeman at #17). However, now it's all done and I see what it cost, I'm pretty stoked by the move & the pick. And if we can get Gilbert in Rd 3 to play DE, that will be a good start to day 2. I'd rather get a DE than a WR right now.

One thing I do worry about is - Ryan has either been full of it about how keen he's been on Clemens & Ratliff, OR (more likely) this was a Woody pick. Not sure I like the thought of Woody going a bit Al Davis on us and insisting on drafting "his guy".

So anyway, we've made the bold move - now to see how it turns out! :)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    KRL, I like your post alot. Sensible, balanced, and logical. No one can project any quarterback's future in the NFL, given all the variables that go into success at that level. Sanchez brings polish, ability to handle the big stage, athleticism, and a better arm than Chad ever had. This is, as Steve Young said about ten times, a QB league. It's a must-have position to be stabilized if a team is going to win. The Jets have made an investment for the next 10-15 years in a guy like Sanchez. It had to be done at some point and the Jets are well positioned to see benefits within the next year or so, unless Sanchez matures at lightning speed.

Some Jets fans simply will never be happy. If their glass is three-quarters full, they'll complain that the glass is not crystal. Nature of the beast. But I'll say one thing, these are not by any stretch of the imagination the same old Jets. This is an aggressive, savvy front office that knows it has to move fast, play big, and take risks to keep up with teams like the Pats. If the Jets sit back and try to develop exclusively out of the draft, they'll simply suffer for another ten years. That paradigm, as much as it worked for Bill Polian and the Colts, had to be modified.

P.S. Anyone check out Sanchez's hand size? Right up there with Brett Favre... :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;3102689]

P.S. Anyone check out Sanchez's hand size? Right up there with Brett Favre... :yes:[/QUOTE]

Great for gripping a Football and Women love it to...;)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    C'mon, when was there ever sanity here?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;3102644]Is Mark Sanchez a franchise QB, I have no idea. I've basically retired from
    the QB prediction business. I haven't been right about one since Leinart, I
    thought he was too much of a playboy and had crappy arm strength. Other
    than that I've been clueless:

Matt Ryan - I thought he was nothing special and only worth a mid round #1
    pick (He turns ATL around and looks to be a franchise QB)

Joe Flacco - I loved his arm but thought he was 2-3 years away (He starts
    right away and is a couple of minutes away from a SB)

Chad Henne - I thought he was the best value QB in the draft (He wasn't
    good enough to beat out Pennington for a team that had won one game)

Jamarcus Russell - I thought he was the second coming of the good Daunte
    Culpepper (He puts on too much weight and looks to be on the road to being
    a bust)

I don't need to go any further. What gives me hope about Sanchez is that
    Mike Mayock rated him the #1 QB in this draft and compared him to Matt
    Ryan when he was breaking him down. As far as the price for going up to
    #5 I think the Jets got off cheap. To me they basically swapped #1's and
    gave up their #2. The players they gave up were backups and a marginal
    starter:

Coleman - A two gap 3-4 DE who anchors well but that's it. He doesn't fit
    into Ryan's one gap penetrating scheme. Marques Douglas was going to
    beat him out

Elam - A safety who has shown big play ability but is a liability in coverage.
    He would have been interesting to watch in Ryan's attacking scheme but he
    was a backup to Rhodes & Leonhard

Ratliff - A QB who showed good arm strength and excelled in the "pre-season"
    but that's it. From reports he was struggling in the competition against
    Clemens

So for all of the "fans" who were screaming that they gave up too much,
    pipe down!!! You were just upset that the Jets were done at 5 pm and
    you had nothing to watch the rest of the night. As far as today there are
    some good values left on the board and they should be able to fill the
    following needs:

WR, 3-4 DE, TE & S[/QUOTE]

Well said, giving up a #2 and players who could have been cap cuts if needed is a great deal. Finally we have the franchise caliber QB and can move on from here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://clayjeffreys.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/surprised-monkey.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    excellent thread.

The 3 guys that step in will be just as good as the 3 we gave up. Gave up a 2nd, peanuts.

Tannenbaum is the best gm the jets have had. We can't predict the future and neithercan he but he is savvyand 9/10 times smarter than the other guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since most Jets fans on this board were not alive when Namath was around, for the first time in most of our lifetimes' we might have a franchise QB. And in order to get him, we gave up a 2nd round pick and 3 JAGs! [U]Not to mention we saved $6M[/U] in cap room which will undoubtedly help us re-sign Leon Washington.

Period. End of story. Be happy.

The most true thing KRL said was that all the people *****ing and moaning yesterday were mostly upset with the fact that the Jets' draft was done by 5pm and they didn't know how to handle that.

You have to remember we also acquired Lito Sheppard for a 5th round pick in this year's draft. That means you have to view us as already having acquired a potential franchise QB in Mark Sanchez, but having also acquired (drafted) a starting CB in the 5th round!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JMJ;3102711]Since most Jets fans on this board were not alive when Namath was around, for the first time in most of our lifetimes' we might have a franchise QB. And in order to get him, we gave up a 2nd round pick and 3 JAGs! [U]Not to mention we saved $6M[/U] in cap room which will undoubtedly help us re-sign Leon Washington.

The most true thing KRL said was that all the people *****ing and moaning yesterday were mostly upset with the fact that the Jets' draft was done by 5pm and they didn't know how to handle that.

You have to remember we also acquired Lito Sheppard for a 5th round pick in this year's draft. That means you have to view us as already having acquired a potential franchise QB in Mark Sanchez, but having also acquired (drafted) a starting CB in the 5th round![/QUOTE]

JMJ, I totally agree with you. I was against giving up everything to move up for Sanchez, but after doing what we did, it was the best move possible for us. We won't miss any of the guys we lost, and even though we could have gotten some depth with the 2nd, it doesn't even come close to what we got in Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ANYONE who doesn't like this trade is absolutely...oh screw it. This board will never change. Jet Fans, we finally have our OWN Qb for the future and some are still complaining?

Gave up 3 JAGS and a 2nd round (in a weak draft)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JMJ;3102711]Since most Jets fans on this board were not alive when Namath was around, for the first time in most of our lifetimes' we might have a franchise QB. And in order to get him, we gave up a 2nd round pick and 3 JAGs! [U]Not to mention we saved $6M[/U] in cap room which will undoubtedly help us re-sign Leon Washington.

You have to remember we also acquired Lito Sheppard for a 5th round pick in this year's draft. That means you have to view us as already having acquired a potential franchise QB in Mark Sanchez, but having also acquired (drafted) a starting CB in the 5th round![/QUOTE]

Good post JMJ...I was more of a Freeman guy because of the arm(Which I loved about Namath) but for a 2nd rd pick and the players you can't blame the FO for trying to get a franchise QB..Now as long as the Rat don't take the Browns to the Bowl someday Go Sanchez...:P

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm working on either going to the mini-camps in June or for a couple of days
    of training camp. Not really sure right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The trade value was very good for the Jets even though I'm skeptical of Sanchez being a franchise guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pick of Shonn Greene now reveals a couple of things about the Jets
    thinking:

1. They think the 2009 draft is similar to the 2007 draft. They highly value
    a few players and and are willing to trade their whole draft for them (Revis &
    Harris)

2. They like the development of their WR's and think they have enough depth

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;3103049]The pick of Shonn Greene now reveals a couple of things about the Jets
    thinking:

1. They think the 2009 draft is similar to the 2007 draft. They highly value
    a few players and and are willing to trade their whole draft for them (Revis &
    Harris)

2. They like the development of their WR's and think they have enough depth[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

One thing i really like about the Jets, is that they get who they want. And for the most part it seems to work.

All honesty, if Sanchez was the only pick we had, and he turns out to be legit, the draft is a success.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

[B]You have to remember we also acquired Lito Sheppard for a 5th round pick in this year's draft. That means you have to view us as already having acquired a potential franchise QB in Mark Sanchez, but having also acquired (drafted) a starting CB in the 5th round![/B][/QUOTE]

Good post and great point (in bold).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think these "We wet our pants over Mark Sanchez, and if you don't you suck" threads are a tad over played.

from what I can see there are very few people who " are routing against" Sanchez. to few to justify the various threads and spite directed at them.

there are some that thought we had larger priorities in the draft but don't dislike the trade or Mark Sanchez (I count myself among this group). Also those who just don't like the odds of getting a great QB with the first pick, We don't know if we got a manning or a leaf, until he takes a snap. I hope we have a manning and I will wet my pants when he starts making completions.

It is a amazing to me that some one can say on one hand that we don't know he will do in the pros, but then proclaim he is a franchise QB, where is some one else says we don't know how good he will be and says let him prove it on the field is "routing against" Sanchez.

I agree that the trade was sound, I agree he has a lot of potential and I'm cautiously optimistic over the pick, and if he starts against the texans I will be pulling for him, and will be looking for him to live up to his potential.

But to label everyone who wanted to go a different direction in the draft as anti-Sanchez (when their is a handful at most that truly fall into the category), and to rant and rave about how everyone should fall in line, that is what is beyond retarded.