Thread: Shonn Greene Highlights - wow

Practice Squad

Shonn Greene Highlights - wow

This kid is a bruiser. Most importanly, unlike Jones, he is hard to take down.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWZwH9VVJU[/url]

2009 Doak Walker Award winner for best college running back.

Knowing he was still available, I was watching film on him last night, hoping that the Jets could get him. I'm very happy with this pick.

All League
    I can honestly say that his highlight film isn't an over exaggeration of his skills. He gets his shoulder pads low and punishes defenders on every run. He might not run people over every play, but they get hit every play, and don't under estimate what that can do to a defense.

He has extraordinary balance for a man of his size. His foot work is tremendous, and has enough wiggle in his hips to make people miss if they are trying to go at his knees.

The 3 plays everyone needs to see of his are his 2 runs against Purdue where he runs over the saftey on his way to the house, then later in the game, undresses the same exact saftey in the hole with an inside spin move on his way to the house. The third is his TD run against Wisconsin. Great Run.

Veteran
    Kids a truck

You need 3 rb's..Jets want to run the ball in 09..T Jones may get fewer carries but so what. I love the move especially since T Jones is 31.

All Pro
    I didn't know this guy from Adam (other than the name), but I really like what I see in this bruising style. Good job, Jets.

[QUOTE=iahawkeyejet;3103184][B]I can honestly say that his highlight film isn't an over exaggeration of his skills.[/B] He gets his shoulder pads low and punishes defenders on every run. He might not run people over every play, but they get hit every play, and don't under estimate what that can do to a defense.

[B]He has extraordinary balance for a man of his size. His foot work is tremendous, and has enough wiggle in his hips to make people miss if they are trying to go at his knees.
    [/B]
    The 3 plays everyone needs to see of his are his 2 runs against Purdue where he runs over the saftey on his way to the house, then later in the game, undresses the same exact saftey in the hole with an inside spin move on his way to the house. The third is his TD run against Wisconsin. Great Run.[/QUOTE]

+1

What I really like about him is that he's not a one dimensional straight ahead downhill runner. Greene is very light on his feet for a big bruising style of runner. Doesn't just simply break tackles or run over defenders. Greene bounces off of defenders, doing spin moves off of them, like a smaller back would, fighting and treading water out there any way he can, til he finds a crease to shoot thru, or a corner to turn, then he rumbles to daylight. Once in the 2nd level, he can surprisingy make very crisp cuts and change of direction...and seems to have a 2nd gear, that allows Shonn to break off some big runs. Anotherwords...this guy is not just a big back to push the pile, but has explosion too. When the game is on...Greene seems to be running faster then he supposedly has been timed at.

Shonn's a very instinctive runner with excellent balance and vision... and a very good complement at 227 lbs, as part of the RB rotation, with Leon(202) and TJ(215).

IMO...the Jets moving up and getting him in the third is worth it...he's a Beast.

viewing the highlights, Greene reminds me a little bit of Curtis Martin.

his running looks a little 'vanilla'. Not a homerun hitter, and doesn't seem to have a burst.

either way, the Jets had a great need at RB. And took the best one on the board

All League
    I like the pick..The kid is a tough back with a nasty streak. He dont run away from defenders seems to run through them.

[QUOTE=vin777b;3103569]viewing the highlights, Greene reminds me a little bit of Curtis Martin.

his running looks a little 'vanilla'. Not a homerun hitter, and doesn't seem to have a burst.

either way, the Jets had a great need at RB. And took the best one on the board[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? Greene is a man, Curtis was a weak runner did everything hiding behind blockers never mixing it up.

[QUOTE=vin777b;3103569]viewing the highlights, Greene reminds me a little bit of Curtis Martin.

either way, the Jets had a great need at RB. And took the best one on the board[/QUOTE]

Dont tell that to Savage!

Shonn's style is nothing like Curtis. Knowshown was closer to Curtis.

Shonn is like a slightly more physical (and faster 4.50 at his proday) version of Emitt Smith

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Slikmojet;3103715]Are you kidding me? Greene is a man, Curtis was a weak runner did everything hiding behind blockers never mixing it up.[/QUOTE]

Greene takes on defenders and gives 2nd and 3rd effort..The Compiler went down like a Hunts point Hooker..They also said Greene is a good blocker in pass protection..:yes:

[QUOTE=Slikmojet;3103715]Are you kidding me? Greene is a man, Curtis was a weak runner did everything hiding behind blockers never mixing it up.[/QUOTE]

Love the pick, actually, been writing about it, check last nights blog, but to compare him to Cumart in any way other than to say, they both played football or RB, is absurd.

Cumart is another level, we hope this kid can do 60% of our HOF retired RB, reality.

[QUOTE=woodside;3103759]Dont tell that to Savage!

Shonn's style is nothing like Curtis. Knowshown was closer to Curtis.

Shonn is like a slightly more physical (and faster 4.50 at his proday) version of Emitt Smith[/QUOTE]

woodside:

value your insight. However, i don't see any Knowshown/Curtis Martin comparison. Knowshown Moreno is a slasher. Curtis Martin was "workmanlike"
    Last edited by vin777b; 04-26-2009 at 01:09 PM.

[QUOTE=SCITSCAT;3103786]Love the pick, actually, been writing about it, check last nights blog, but to compare him to Cumart in any way other than to say, they both played football or RB, is absurd.

Cumart is another level, we hope this kid can do 60% of our HOF retired RB, reality.[/QUOTE]

I seriously hope Greene is more then 60% of what Curtis Martin was.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SCITSCAT;3103786]Love the pick, actually, been writing about it, check last nights blog, but to compare him to Cumart in any way other than to say, they both played football or RB, is absurd.

Cumart is another level, we hope this kid can do 60% of our HOF retired RB, reality.[/QUOTE]

Martin's claim to fame is durability..In Terrell Davis short career Martin wasn't in his league..:yes:

Practice Squad
    Iowa can really block. Those are some of the most beautifully blocked running plays I can remember seeing.

And Shonn Greene was not too shabby either! :yes: