Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TJ to Cleveland in an Edwards package?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    TJ has value....limited value. That value is that the still has some miles on the tires and is an experienced veteran. He's a tough runner who showed in 2008 that he can be very good behind an excellent line and in 2007 that he is worse than average behind a bad offensive line.

With that being said, he wouldn't fetch more than a 6th round pick in my opinion, possibly worse.

Keep him in 2009.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=leJETimate;3103405]Sorry, I got carried away. I was trying to drive my point across. I apologize for the CAPS. Anyway, I was offended that you act like I didn't know the Jets traded up for a 3rd round RB. I was even more offended that Jet fans, like yourself, are trying to run Thomas Jones out of town. They guy is a workhorse. You can be mad about him not showing up at offseason workouts, but to tell me he is overrated or a "JAG." Give me a break. This team needs thomas jones as much as TJ needs the Jets. Is he a top 10 rb? I dont think so. Is Shonn Greene an NFL caliber #1, every down RB? I highly doubt it. No one really knows. So to trade TJ and give the keys to a 3rd round rookie back? Cmon Jet fans, wake up and smell the coffee.[/quote]

See, now if you had come into this thread with this attitude, it would have been much better. I can see that argument - but I have to think that if the Jets gave up a 4 and 7 to move up in the third for Greene, they expect big things from him. More, the Jets wouldn't be handing the keys to Greene - they'd increase Leon's touches, and mix him and Greene more equally. Jones, whatever you think of him, clearly has only 1 more season in green and white. In which case, the smart play is to flip him for value now. Especially with the glaring hole at #1 WR. Put Edwards on this team, and the Jets O could be downright scary

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;3103386]typical fans defending a JAG until they day they die. Before we spent MILLIONS on upgrading an offensive line Jones couldn't do **** even after we spent MILLIONS giving him a huge contract only to get one freakin' TD. Rewind his career and he was noted as a draft BUST and NEVER lived up to his expectations. He's a back that when surrounded by a superbowl worthy offensive line can only get it done all over the field except in the redzone. Even last year in his grand rushing season he was noted as being one of the statistically WORST in converting for a touchdown in the redzone. Yet your love affair with this JAG keeps you from realizing any of this.[/QUOTE]

I forgot, you are only a good RB when you run behind a bad offensive line. Did you guys ever play football? How do you expect a RB to have a productive season without a decent offensive line? Are you serious? They go hand in hand, that is a completely contradictory point guys. As for his early NFL career drafted out of Univ of Virginia by arizona? He def. wasn't the player arizona thought he would be, but he also had a terrible team around him. Put him on the bears with a legit Oline and he had a great year. Put him behind the Jets decent line in 08 and he had a great year. Look at guys like dominic rhodes. When he's put in a good system in INDY he is a productive back, put him in houston and hes below average. It is absolutely ridiculous to take away from a guys great season (setting the TD record for the Jets) because of a good oline?!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;3103344]Hi. Did you happen to notice the player we just selected in the 3rd round? You may want to go look it up before commenting further. thanks[/QUOTE]

This is a retarded conversation, Jone led the AFC in rushing last year and you guys like a 3rd round RB can replace him. get a grip

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am 100% in favor of this. Shonn and Leon will be a nice little tandem to carry the season.

... and imagine Cotchery opposite Edwards with Keller on the field too!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;3103410]See, now if you had come into this thread with this attitude, it would have been much better. I can see that argument - but I have to think that if the Jets gave up a 4 and 7 to move up in the third for Greene, they expect big things from him. More, the Jets wouldn't be handing the keys to Greene - they'd increase Leon's touches, and mix him and Greene more equally. Jones, whatever you think of him, clearly has only 1 more season in green and white. In which case, the smart play is to flip him for value now. Especially with the glaring hole at #1 WR. Put Edwards on this team, and the Jets O could be downright scary[/QUOTE]

point taken, unfortunately we agree to disagree. TJ needs the Jets as much as we need him in 09. Whether fans like him or not. We don't know a thing about greene. From what I've seen I think he'll be decent, BUT not an every down back. The three headed monster of TJ, GREENE, AND LEON would be dynamite. Three very different running styles. I think we can agree there.

I also agree we need a WR in the worst way. I'm still mad we didnt get a guy like tory holt when he was avaialble. :steamin:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ThePenguin;3103413]This is a retarded conversation, Jone led the AFC in rushing last year and you guys like a 3rd round RB can replace him. get a grip[/QUOTE]

how long have you been watching football?

you do realize, RB's drafted in the 3rd round have a very good chance at becoming All-Pro players, don't you?

Terrell Davis and the history of Denver Broncos running backs, say hello.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;3103410]See, now if you had come into this thread with this attitude, it would have been much better. I can see that argument - but I have to think that if the Jets gave up a 4 and 7 to move up in the third for Greene, they expect big things from him. More, the Jets wouldn't be handing the keys to Greene - they'd increase Leon's touches, and mix him and Greene more equally. Jones, whatever you think of him, clearly has only 1 more season in green and white. In which case, the smart play is to flip him for value now. Especially with the glaring hole at #1 WR. Put Edwards on this team, and the Jets O could be downright scary[/QUOTE]
    I have to think that Edwards would command more than TJ plus our 2nd. Mangini is new too in Cleveland and so he is building for years 2, 3, and 4 over there. How does TJ help the Browns in that regard?

My own guess is that we roll the dice and keep Jones, looking to possibly trade him to a condender whose RB goes down in TC or the early part of the season. I think we could possibly get as much as a 2nd for TJ under such circumstances.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ThePenguin;3103413]This is a retarded conversation, Jone led the AFC in rushing last year and you guys like a 3rd round RB can replace him. get a grip[/QUOTE]

exactly it makes no sense, kind of funny in a way.. Dude don't forget, TJ only led the AFC in rushing because our offensive line was so good. TJ is only a good back if he can run for 1,500+ yds with a bad oline, didn't you know that? :yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=vin777b;3103430]how long have you been watching football?

you do realize, RB's drafted in the 3rd round have a very good chance at becoming All-Pro players, don't you?

Terrell Davis and the history of Denver Broncos running backs, say hello.[/QUOTE]

and cedric houston :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    TJ is currently on his FOURTH NFL team. None of the first three tried very hard to keep him. And now, the Jets might be interested in joining that list. Think about that for a moment.

TJ is an OK running back. Sometimes. He is not elite and he never has been, despite what people might try to parlay out of the rushing title last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like

Our Oline lead the league in rushing last year, Thomas Jag was just along for the ride

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=leJETimate;3103258]we are not trading TJ.. Not only is it not speculation, but it is utterly retarded. Please, stop with this mindless banter[/QUOTE]

Keep up the "mindless banter"...I like the idea...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=vin777b;3103430]how long have you been watching football?

Terrell Davis and the history of Denver Broncos running backs, say hello.[/QUOTE]

Theres no way this kid can replace Jones his rookie season. And theres no reason to think other wise.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything is possible at this point. We still are in diar need of a #1 WR

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;3103500]Our Oline lead the league in rushing last year, Thomas Jag was just along for the ride[/QUOTE]

We draft a RB in the 3rd round that looks like he can beocme a force and Everyone wants to trade Jones. Unbelievable. When Martin had that great o-line was he just "along for the ride" to?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=vin777b;3103372]you like the way Thomas Jones looks, without his shirt.

ok. We get it.

trade him.[/QUOTE]

I have always liked Jones...would like to keep him...he still has at least 2 years left...but I do not think we will have him back on the field...so send him some place where he can be happy and we can fill a need....is a win-win...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always like these, just for fun, threads!!!

A 2nd and Jones for Edwards and I'd be doing back flips until I broke my neck or puked.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HessStation;3103543]I always like these, just for fun, threads!!!

A 2nd and Jones for Edwards and I'd be doing back flips until I broke my neck or puked.[/QUOTE]

Well Hess, I would not like to see you to do that....but if we did it...I would finish the beer Keg I had for yesterday !

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ThePenguin;3103531]We draft a RB in the 3rd round that looks like he can beocme a force and Everyone wants to trade Jones. Unbelievable. When Martin had that great o-line was he just "along for the ride" to?[/QUOTE]

Funny you should say that even with the terrible line in 07 TJ has avg about the same as Cumar in his 2 years(And on less carries)..So if he's a 2 year JAG doesn't that make Martin a 7 year Jag???:eek: