Thread: Sanchez is Not Pennington!!

Sanchez is Not Pennington!!

Comparing the 2 is very foolish. Mark Sanchez has a much better arm, has better footwork, can move in and out of the pocket, and is very athletic. Pennington has noodle arm, and is as athletic as a toaster.

Sanchez>>>>>>>Pennington.

END OF DISCUSSION.

All League
    Agree completely... Penny also had Randy Moss to throw to in college sooo that was nice. Sanchez has a stronger arm and is very elusive in the pocket.

[QUOTE=K-Ro 25;3103272]Comparing the 2 is very foolish. Mark Sanchez has a much better arm, has better footwork, can move in and out of the pocket, and is very athletic. Pennington has noodle arm, and is as athletic as a toaster.

Sanchez>>>>>>>Pennington.

END OF DISCUSSION.[/QUOTE]

It's true, they're very different players. Chad Pennington was a much better quarterback in college than Mark Sanchez, with a ton more production.

As it stands, Pennington is one of the top ten or twelve quarterbacks in football; if Sanchez can produce at his level, it will be fine. If he can produce like the Pennington of 2002 or 2004 pre-injury, he'll be well worth the pick.

I hope Mark Sanchez brings the NY Jets the Super Bowl Trophy that Chad Pennington failed to bring.

I just hope he can be good starter year in and year out...He's got much more upside than Pennington.

[QUOTE=seanmac31;3103318]It's true, they're very different players. Chad Pennington was a much better quarterback in college than Mark Sanchez, with a ton more production.

As it stands, Pennington is one of the top ten or twelve quarterbacks in football; if Sanchez can produce at his level, it will be fine. If he can produce like the Pennington of 2002 or 2004 pre-injury, he'll be well worth the pick.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes: Penny had Randy Moss, Sanchez had Patrick Turner.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=gcherd;3103445]I hope Mark Sanchez brings the NY Jets the Super Bowl Trophy that [B][U]Chad Pennington[/U][/B] [B][SIZE="5"]failed to bring[/SIZE][/B].[/QUOTE]

Wow, finally a little reality from you.:D

Perhaps this is step one in your 12 step program of forgetting about Chad.

Step 2, take the posters down, Step 3, cancel the Miami game tickets Step 4, throw out the Chad Pajamas.......:eek:

Uh oh! You can't change your sons name can you??????

[QUOTE=K-Ro 25;3103468]:rolleyes: Penny had Randy Moss, Sanchez had Patrick Turner.[/QUOTE]

He had Randy Moss for one year, and I'm pretty sure Sanchez had some people who could play at USC. In any event, I'm not sure why it is so fashionable to bash Pennington, who is a solid NFL quarterback and who would have been a perennial Pro Bowler without the injuries. Maybe the lesson is to hope that Sanchez doesn't tear his shoulder in half.

[QUOTE=seanmac31;3103475]He had Randy Moss for one year, and I'm pretty sure Sanchez had some people who could play at USC. In any event, I'm not sure why it is so fashionable to bash Pennington, who is a solid NFL quarterback and who would have been a perennial Pro Bowler without the injuries. Maybe the lesson is to hope that Sanchez doesn't tear his shoulder in half.[/QUOTE]

No, Sanchez had 0 weapons at WR. And, Penny was/is never a pro bowl type player. This year was arguably his top upside/career year.

Chad Pennington played at a mid-major school and couldn't even get a scholarship offer from his hometown school, Tennessee.

Mark Sanchez was the No. 1 HS QB recruit in the nation and played at the premier program in all of college football.

Pennington had Randy Moss. None of Sanchez's receivers will be Top 10 picks.

Comparing the two is just silly and a sign of man love for Noodle Arm Chad.

Oh, and saying he's played too few games in college is silly as well. He's played equivalent to a season and 1/3rd. Tom Brady played two whole seasons at Michigan and his career turned out fine it seems. Heck, Matt Cassell was a career backup at USC and he did pretty well last year.

[QUOTE=VivaSanchez;3103495]Chad Pennington played at a mid-major school and couldn't even get a scholarship offer from his hometown school, Tennessee.

Mark Sanchez was the No. 1 HS QB recruit in the nation and played at the premier program in all of college football.

Pennington had Randy Moss. None of Sanchez's receivers will be Top 10 picks.

Comparing the two is just silly and a sign of man love for Noodle Arm Chad.

Oh, and saying he's played too few games in college is silly as well. He's played equivalent to a season and 1/3rd. Tom Brady played two whole seasons at Michigan and his career turned out fine it seems. Heck, Matt Cassell was a career backup at USC and he did pretty well last year.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and they were sixth and seventh round picks who had years to develop. There's nothing silly about saying Sanchez has played too few games, as 90% of the guys who played 25 or fewer games who went in the first two rounds busted spectacularly.

Anyway, let's just be clear- Chad Pennington started 51 games, completed 63.3% of his passes, threw 123 TDs and 46 interceptions in college, while averaging 8.23 an attempt. The dude was an absolute stud. His 2002 season was the second best in the NFL, and would have been better than Rich Gannon's, the league MVP, had he started the first four games. He was well on his way to the Pro Bowl in 2004 before his injury. And now he's been NFL comeback player twice and taken two different teams to the playoffs despite having a shredded shoulder.

Really, we'll do well if Sanchez develops into the kind of player Pennington is, and we'll do fantastically if he develops into the kind of player Pennington was before the injuries.

But it's true, Sanchez is no Pennington. Right now he's accomplished exactly nothing in the NFL. Hopefully, that will change starting this year...

[QUOTE=seanmac31;3103676]Yes, and they were sixth and seventh round picks who had years to develop. There's nothing silly about saying Sanchez has played too few games, as 90% of the guys who played 25 or fewer games who went in the first two rounds busted spectacularly.[/QUOTE]

My issue with that is that Mark Sanchez is not 90% of those Quarterbacks, he's Mark Sanchez. Which by that I mean that he should be evaluated on his own merits, not lumped into a formula.

Watching him on film last year shows a guy whose on field maturity is well beyond that of his experiance. I would argue he is a far more polished passer then either Matthew Stafford or Josh Freeman despite half as many starts.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3103702]My issue with that is that Mark Sanchez is not 90% of those Quarterbacks, he's Mark Sanchez. Which by that I mean that he should be evaluated on his own merits, not lumped into a formula.

Watching him on film last year shows a guy whose on field maturity is well beyond that of his experiance. I would argue he is a far more polished passer then either Matthew Stafford or Josh Freeman despite half as many starts.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree with you. He's a much better prospect than Stafford or Freeman. That said, the big problem with not having experience is that we don't really know what the holes in his game are. I think it was Mayock who pointed out that Sanchez had a lot of trouble against Stanford because they blitzed him hard and rolled their corners to take away the short routes. Sanchez hadn't seen that before and he didn't know how to respond. Now is that something where Sanchez can study the tape and make corrections? Maybe. But we don't know. It's like a pitcher going through the league the first time. No one knows what to do with his stuff. But hitters make adjustments and the second time through the league, he has trouble. Then the pitcher has to make the adjustment. Some pitchers can, some pitchers can't. That's the big issue, that we haven't seen Sanchez adjust to defenses after coordinators have had a full season to pick him apart. I'm pretty sure that Bill Belichick is going to have some stuff for Sanchez that he hasn't seen before.

Anyway, I'm fine with the pick--I love the way Sanchez plays, and I think the price was entirely reasonable. But I strongly disagree with the people who act as if the lack of starts isn't a true red flag. It absolutely is.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=seanmac31;3103318]It's true, they're very different players. Chad Pennington was a much better quarterback in college than Mark Sanchez, with a ton more production.

As it stands, Pennington is one of the top ten or twelve quarterbacks in football; if Sanchez can produce at his level, it will be fine. If he can produce like the Pennington of 2002 or 2004 pre-injury, he'll be well worth the pick.[/QUOTE]

Sanchez faced tougher competition. Chadwick the great basically faced a patty cake schedule. Against tough teams he usually tanked! He still does! The guy has thrown more INTS for TDs in the past few years then any QB in football.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3103473] Step 4, throw out the Chad Pajamas.......:eek:

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I have not forgotten about the AFC East champion QB. I was just stating a fact; Chad did fail to win a Super Bowl in NY.

As for Step 4, no Chad PJ's, I sleep in the nude :)!

[QUOTE=seanmac31;3103676]
    Anyway, let's just be clear- Chad Pennington started 51 games, completed 63.3% of his passes, threw 123 TDs and 46 interceptions in college, while averaging 8.23 an attempt. The dude was an absolute stud. His 2002 season was the second best in the NFL, and would have been better than Rich Gannon's, the league MVP, had he started the first four games. He was well on his way to the Pro Bowl in 2004 before his injury. And now he's been NFL comeback player twice and taken two different teams to the playoffs despite having a shredded shoulder.

Really, we'll do well if Sanchez develops into the kind of player Pennington is, and we'll do fantastically if he develops into the kind of player Pennington was before the injuries.

But it's true, Sanchez is no Pennington. Right now he's accomplished exactly nothing in the NFL. Hopefully, that will change starting this year...[/QUOTE]

Very well said! :yes: I just drank a brew in honor of your fantastic post!