Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And the Patriots continue to make the Jets look like Fools...

All League
    Tate is a good WR. But with his knee issues, he wasn't on most draft boards. Stockpiling a bunch of jags does not trump grabbing a franchise QB and a big bruising back that your new HC personally picked.

Are we a deep team ready to make a SB run? No.

Do we have the MAJOR pieces in place to have a legimate run at the playoffs in the first year of the Rex Ryan era? Yes.

Lets see, would we be closer to challenging NE, Indy, Pitt with Clemens and

a back up DE, #3 or #4 WR, etc, and a bunch of preseason fodder or

a franchise QB - the highest drafted QB the Jets have had since Namath, and a big bruising back to assist in making the QB transition seamless?

[QUOTE=Dcat;3103423]+1. And to quote a notorious poster from another messageboard: :D[/QUOTE]

Don't forget their 2nd & 4th rd picks in '07, moss & welker.

BB likes the other lb's he's got in the past 2 drafts, one of the reasons they haven't selected a lb this year. Crable, woods, guyton will all play big roles this year.

In the secondary, wheately & wilhite will also play major roles in the backfield in '09.

too few roster spots for most kids coming into the nfl, especially the way they play the fa market. How many 2nd day picks can be expected to beat out the likes of galloway, bodden, Springs, etc?

2nd year in a row I picked the right player for the my team in our JI 7 round mock. Nice!!!:yes:

Figured this was a dumb enough thread to relish with myself in.:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Tailgater;3103462]Don't forget their 2nd & 4th rd picks in '07, moss & welker.

[/QUOTE]

It was a 2nd,4th and 7th..And you only got Moss for a 4th because the Pats were the only team Moss would play for a 1 year deal for 3 million...Everyone else had to take his 9 million salary..:cool:

Yay! Pats pick up a lb! Tyrone Mckenzie OLB Florida St.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=HessStation;3103467]2nd year in a row I picked the right player for the my team in our JI 7 round mock. Nice!!!:yes:

Figured this was a dumb enough thread to relish with myself in.:yes:[/QUOTE]

nice job.
    :clapper:

[QUOTE=freestater;3103479]nice job.
    :clapper:[/QUOTE]

Thanks free! I'm quite proud of myself. :yes::D

All League
    People keep saying how great the Patriots are doing. But take a look back on previous drafts. For the most part, they have gotten a bunch of mediocre players after the first round. Sure some of them have done something. But most of them aren't even on the practice squad, let alone the team.

[url]http://www.patriots.com/history/index.cfm?ac=DraftTrade&year=2007&draft=yes&submit=Submit[/url]

Start at 2007, and work your way down. Check out how many non-1st round draft picks are on the team. They may always have a ton of later picks. but how many really pan out?

They have recieved a lot better value by trading their picks for actual players, who Bill has seen play in the NFL, than they have with their actual picks.
    Last edited by rep; 04-26-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=rep;3103485]People keep saying how great the Patriots are doing. But take a look back on previous drafts. For the most part, they have gotten a bunch of mediocre players after the first round. Sure some of them have done something. But most of them aren't even on the practice squad, let alone the team.

[url]http://www.patriots.com/history/index.cfm?ac=DraftTrade&year=2007&draft=yes&submit=Submit[/url]

Start at 2007, and work your way down. Check out how many non-1st round draft picks are on the team. They may always have a ton of later picks. but how many really pan out?[/QUOTE]

Brady wasn't even the Pats first 6th rd pick in 2000 Antwan Harris was..Talk about luck..:rolleyes: BB is a hell of a coach but without Brady he may have been a career DC...Moss would not be a Pat had it not been for their success that started with a Mo Lewis hit..

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3103279]FIRST you STOCKPILE picks, THEN you have the luxury of moving up to grab your guy and still have room to move and picks to make...

Also gives them the luxury of drafting a STEAL like Brandon Tate....

STEAL of this draft.

Meanwhile, the Jets got 2 whole players from this draft and will go in with CRAP at WR.[/QUOTE]

Dude, just take the leap and become a Pats fan.

Banned
    Since when have the Patriots been "Making the Jets look like fools during the draft"? Since when? Explain.

If anything, the Jets continue to build a solid franchise with really good draft picks year after year. The draft is all about Quality, not about "How many project players you draft"
    [B]
    Mark Sanchez[/B]-Potential Franchise QB. Can be a star for years to come. 22 Years of age.

[B]Vernon Gholston[/B]- With Rex Ryan calling the shots, we could be looking at our very own Merriman, Ware, Harrison or Suggs type of pass rusher from the outside. This kid has talent, ability along with the potential to be a playmaker on the defense side of the ball and Rex Ryan may have a new toy here in NY. 22 years of age.

[B]Dustin Keller[/B]- Has the ability to be an An A.Gates type of pass catching TE, a TE that can giving opposing D's nighmares because he's faster than any LB and bigger than any CB/Safety with great hands. A real match up problem for just about any defense. 24 years of age.

[B]Darrell Revis[/B]-Already an overall top 5 CB and it only took Revis two years to be known as one of the best up and coming superstars. Thank god we traded up and "Wasted draft picks" for this elite talent. 23 years of age.

[B]David Harris[/B]- The perfect fit for just about any 3-4 Defensive team looking for an up and coming 3-4 IMLB. Great fit for this Jets Defense, great fit. 25 years of age.

[B]Kerry Rhodes[/B]- A top 5 safety. Should be the leader of this Jets secondary for years to come. He's already been a huge leader for our Defense and just go ask younger players such as Revis who's "Studying at who's house"? And the answer will be Kerry Rhodes place, this man is a leader, a ball hawk and a special talent. 26 years of age.

[B]Leon Washington[/B]- The future of this Offensive attack. This kid out of FSU is a true play maker and he's just as explosive as any other player in the game today. Not only is he one of the best change of pace backs but he's also one of the best kick returners that can give us great field position with each and every drive. 26 years of age.

[B]D'Brickishaw Ferguson[/B]- Our Franchise LT...Enough said. The sky is the limit for Ferguson, he's started each and every game since being drafted by Gang Green. 25 years of age.

[B]Nick Mangold[/B]-Top 5 Center. This man is a beast on the O-Line and a run blocking animal. Vince Wilfork consideres Nick Mangold "The toughest center in the game today". Enough said. 25 years of age.

[B]David Clowney[/B]- Maybe this is why we didn't draft a WR with our 3rd round pick? Maybe our front office likes what they seen from Clowney during last years preseason and maybe, just maybe...He can make an impact here in 2009. The talent is there, the potential is there...What more can we ask for? He's only 23 years of age.

[B]Jericho Cotchery[/B]- A player that broke just about every Receiving Record set by Tory Hold while playing for NC State. Cotchery has always played like a real Warrior, a leader and one hell of a WR. Where would our Offense be without Cotch? He's OUR #1 WR as of right now and I honestly cant complain. I cant think of a team that wouldn't want Cotchery as either a #1 or #2 WR. 26 years of age.

[B]Chauncey Stuckey[/B]-I think it's safe to say that the Jets have their Slot WR for years to come. Will he be our next Wayne Chrebet? Who knows, but I know one thing... We have an up and coming slot WR by the name of Stucky who started to come into his own there in 2008 as a rookie. He's a prospect and thats for sure. 25 years of age.

And how could I forget about [B]Dwight Lowery[/B]? Yeah, he made some rookie mistakes last year but I wish he would have started the whole year in 2008 because I couldn't stand Ty Law. He could really be our #2 CB after Litto Sheppard leaves the Jets but you know what? I'm looking foward to watching Lowery make for a good nickel/Dime back here in 2009. Ray Mickens anyone?

Since when have the Patriots been making us look like fools? The Patriots would take just about EACH and Every player that I just mentioned and they wouldn't think twice about it.

Go find me a team that has BETTER young talent than the New York Jets, because I cant think of any.

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3103279]FIRST you STOCKPILE picks, THEN you have the luxury of moving up to grab your guy and still have room to move and picks to make...

STEAL of this draft.

Meanwhile, the Jets got 2 whole players from this draft and will go in with CRAP at WR.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

its not quantity, its quality.

STEAL of this draft.

Meanwhile, the Jets got 2 whole players from this draft and[B] will go in with CRAP at WR[/B].[/QUOTE]

Talk to me after Clowney burns your pathetic DBs play after play.
    Hes going to make Patrick Chung look like Eugene Chung.

Banned
    Oh yeah, how could I forget about Shonn Greene? lol, I've been high off this kids highlights from last year all offseason! (just like many of other Jet fans) I ONLY wanted two players here in the 3rd round who I would have loved in the 2nd round if we still had it and those players were Gilbert and Greene.

Greene is a running back who doesnt have a lot of miles and a running back who dominated the college game with his 1st year of starting...Something like 11 games in a row with 100+ yard games.

I love this pick, simply love it.

Thomas Jones, Leon Wahsington and now Shonn Greene should make for one of the most talented backfields in the game today...I'm pumped.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3103529]Since when have the Patriots been "Making the Jets look like fools during the draft"? Since when? Explain.

Go find me a team that has BETTER young talent than the New York Jets, because I cant think of any.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Pats are making the Jets look like fools, we have to stop comparing what they do to what we do because the states of the respective franchizes are both different. I do like what the Patriots are doing in the draft, but you're right, we have a wealth of young talent, with Scott, Harris, and all the guys you mentioned (until Gholston starts to produce, I'm excluding him).

I love that the guys on ESPN are comparing the rest of the QBs to Sanchez, not Stafford.

They just described Hoyer (Mich St) as a "poor man's Mark Sanchez"

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3103529]Since when have the Patriots been "Making the Jets look like fools during the draft"? Since when? Explain.

If anything, the Jets continue to build a solid franchise with really good draft picks year after year. The draft is all about Quality, not about "How many project players you draft"
    [B]
    Mark Sanchez[/B]-Potential Franchise QB. Can be a star for years to come. 22 Years of age.

[B]Vernon Gholston[/B]- With Rex Ryan calling the shots, we could be looking at our very own Merriman, Ware, Harrison or Suggs type of pass rusher from the outside. This kid has talent, ability along with the potential to be a playmaker on the defense side of the ball and Rex Ryan may have a new toy here in NY. 22 years of age.

[B]Dustin Keller[/B]- Has the ability to be an An A.Gates type of pass catching TE, a TE that can giving opposing D's nighmares because he's faster than any LB and bigger than any CB/Safety with great hands. A real match up problem for just about any defense. 24 years of age.

[B]Darrell Revis[/B]-Already an overall top 5 CB and it only took Revis two years to be known as one of the best up and coming superstars. Thank god we traded up and "Wasted draft picks" for this elite talent. 23 years of age.

[B]David Harris[/B]- The perfect fit for just about any 3-4 Defensive team looking for an up and coming 3-4 IMLB. Great fit for this Jets Defense, great fit. 25 years of age.

[B]Kerry Rhodes[/B]- A top 5 safety. Should be the leader of this Jets secondary for years to come. He's already been a huge leader for our Defense and just go ask younger players such as Revis who's "Studying at who's house"? And the answer will be Kerry Rhodes place, this man is a leader, a ball hawk and a special talent. 26 years of age.

[B]Leon Washington[/B]- The future of this Offensive attack. This kid out of FSU is a true play maker and he's just as explosive as any other player in the game today. Not only is he one of the best change of pace backs but he's also one of the best kick returners that can give us great field position with each and every drive. 26 years of age.

[B]D'Brickishaw Ferguson[/B]- Our Franchise LT...Enough said. The sky is the limit for Ferguson, he's started each and every game since being drafted by Gang Green. 25 years of age.

[B]Nick Mangold[/B]-Top 5 Center. This man is a beast on the O-Line and a run blocking animal. Vince Wilfork consideres Nick Mangold "The toughest center in the game today". Enough said. 25 years of age.

[B]David Clowney[/B]- Maybe this is why we didn't draft a WR with our 3rd round pick? Maybe our front office likes what they seen from Clowney during last years preseason and maybe, just maybe...He can make an impact here in 2009. The talent is there, the potential is there...What more can we ask for? He's only 23 years of age.

[B]Jericho Cotchery[/B]- A player that broke just about every Receiving Record set by Tory Hold while playing for NC State. Cotchery has always played like a real Warrior, a leader and one hell of a WR. Where would our Offense be without Cotch? He's OUR #1 WR as of right now and I honestly cant complain. I cant think of a team that wouldn't want Cotchery as either a #1 or #2 WR. 26 years of age.

[B]Chauncey Stuckey[/B]-I think it's safe to say that the Jets have their Slot WR for years to come. Will he be our next Wayne Chrebet? Who knows, but I know one thing... We have an up and coming slot WR by the name of Stucky who started to come into his own there in 2008 as a rookie. He's a prospect and thats for sure. 25 years of age.

And how could I forget about [B]Dwight Lowery[/B]? Yeah, he made some rookie mistakes last year but I wish he would have started the whole year in 2008 because I couldn't stand Ty Law. He could really be our #2 CB after Litto Sheppard leaves the Jets but you know what? I'm looking foward to watching Lowery make for a good nickel/Dime back here in 2009. Ray Mickens anyone?

Since when have the Patriots been making us look like fools? The Patriots would take just about EACH and Every player that I just mentioned and they wouldn't think twice about it.

Go find me a team that has BETTER young talent than the New York Jets, because I cant think of any.[/QUOTE]

Forget about Gholston getting even remotely close to a Merriman. Gholston plays like a ***** and until that changes please dont make these comparisons

[QUOTE=dassin;3103287]Tate fell off Mayock's board completely and that's a steal?[/QUOTE]

don't you get it?: Its a steal because bill belichick made the pick. :rolleyes:

The Patriots have so many apologists in the media it makes me want to throw up. their recent drafts have been underwhelming except for Mayo. But the media does bring up this fact.

in my eyes, Belichick lost his "genius" label the moment he was caught cheating by video taping opposing coaches on the side line. And since this fraud has been exposed, they have not won a super bowl since. How did the head coach do in cleveland sans the video tape?

This season can't start soon enough.....
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 04-26-2009 at 12:27 PM.

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;3103574]Forget about Gholston getting even remotely close to a Merriman. Gholston plays like a ***** and until that changes please dont make these comparisons[/QUOTE]

We almost have to make some of these optimistic assumptions imo.
    [I]
    If[/I] Gholston can be close to Merriman and all remain healthy the Jets Defense will be absolutely nasty next year.

[QUOTE=HessStation;3103585]We almost have to make some of these optimistic assumptions imo.
    [I]
    If[/I] Gholston can be close to Merriman and all remain healthy the Jets Defense will be absolutely nasty next year.[/QUOTE]

+1.

Although I don't see this happening. Going from zero to superstar? I'm hoping from 5-6 sacks out of the guy as a measurement of where I'd be happy with him.

All League
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;3103310]Jesus when will people stop crying. Go follow the Patriots then.[/QUOTE]

+1