Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Belicheck is Masterful

All Pro

Belicheck is Masterful

I mean that word, masterful. If I remove myself from the AFC East knee jerk hate mongering (difficult for me) I can't help but be astounded by what he's pulled off over the last 2 days. Espn is reviewing it right now.

A 2nd round that makes me drool with:

Chung S
    Brace DT
    Butler CB

Then landing the sliding Tate WR in the 3rd.

But the beauty is setting up the future by parlaying 3rd rounders into future 2nd rounders. Added benefit is that the Pats assuredly will always pick near the end of these rounds and trade them for future picks a round higher to bad teams. That could be a 60 slot swing simply for having the patience and foresight to trade for next year's picks. 2nd round picks are where you get quality players on the cheap. Contracts are so small while the talent is still so large.

Funny thing is that NE is actually often a below average drafting team outside of the first round. But these moves over the weekend are just masterful.

Hall Of Fame
    How many of these players will actually make the roster, though?

[QUOTE=David Harris;3103476]I mean that word, masterful. If I remove myself from the AFC East knee jerk hate mongering (difficult for me) I can't help but be astounded by what he's pulled off over the last 2 days. Espn is reviewing it right now.

A 2nd round that makes me drool with:

Chung S
    Brace DT
    Butler CB

Then landing the sliding Tate WR in the 3rd.

But the beauty is setting up the future by parlaying 3rd rounders into future 2nd rounders. Added benefit is that the Pats assuredly will always pick near the end of these rounds and trade them for future picks a round higher to bad teams. That could be a 60 slot swing simply for having the patience and foresight to trade for next year's picks. 2nd round picks are where you get quality players on the cheap. Contracts are so small while the talent is still so large.

Funny thing is that NE is actually often a below average drafting team outside of the first round. But these moves over the weekend are just masterful.[/QUOTE]

+1 David He has gotten a lot of value this weekend.

All Pro
    Let me get ahead of the curve by saying that I love what Tanny has done as our trigger man. I think he is the best GM in our history. Hopefully one day he will fill out our roster so that we can play the draft the way the Pats do. If Sanchez works out we may actually be very close.

[QUOTE=KellenIsTheFuture;3103478]How many of these players will actually make the roster, though?[/QUOTE]

Actually i think all of them make it, at least the guys selected thru #97. I doubt the 5th - 7th rd guys will, unless they go for a long snapper or punter.\

tate will go on IR. the rest should make the 53 man roster.

[QUOTE=David Harris;3103482]Let me get ahead of the curve by saying that I love what Tanny has done as our trigger man. I think he is the best GM in our history. Hopefully one day he will fill out our roster so that we can play the draft the way the Pats do. If Sanchez works out we may actually be very close.[/QUOTE]

Well done, I agree with ALL your posts in this thread.

Pats and Jets both doing a good job with what they need to do.

I personally like what the Dolphins are doing and (although I may be in the minority) are not impressed with the Bills picks at all.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=KellenIsTheFuture;3103478]How many of these players will actually make the roster, though?[/QUOTE]

I think Vollmer will be lucky to make the practice squad so I didn't include him but Brace and Butler will be there for years IMO. I'm not as high on Chung but I that may just be my lack of familiarity with him as he wasnt' really on the radar in the draft forum the way the other 2 were.

Tate is value apparently but the Pats are stacked at WR so his PT is currently suspect, but he may develop into a very solid starter down the line.

[QUOTE=HessStation;3103490]Well done, I agree with ALL your posts in this thread.

I personally like what the Dolphins are doing and (although I may be in the minority) are not impressed with the Bills picks at all.[/QUOTE]

Really? Because I didn't like the Pat White pick at all. Where's he going to play? Situation? I think he could have been had in a later round.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=HessStation;3103490]Well done, I agree with ALL your posts in this thread.

[B]I personally like what the Dolphins are doing and (although I may be in the minority)[/B] are not impressed with the Bills picks at all.[/QUOTE]

Do you like the Pat White pick Hess? I agree with McShay, that it was a little self-indulgent with this Wildcat fad.

Jets Insider VIP

Exactly

Ven0m had an excellent point in a thread yesterday. In the 2007 draft the Pats had nine picks. You know how many are still on their roster? One (Merriweather) that's it.

The Pats are stacked top to bottom basically. Many of these guys that everyone is saying the Pats are "stealing" won't even be on their active roster come September.

The Patriots have had the best draft of anyone so far. So many picks, and taking all good solid players. They didn't really need someone right now, and are stacked for the future.

Ugh.. You guys are painful to read.

Assume for one second that they are not the Pats, and just some other team. Go look at their past drafts. They have been AWFUL at drafting for the most part. Fortunately for them, they hit on Brady, and that makes a lot of mistakes not matter.

Their best pick in the last bunch of years was Mayo.

As for this draft, Brace SUCKS. He has size that automatically makes people take notice, but he has ZERO strength at the point and is just awful. He'll hang around the league for a few years ala Rashad Moore.

Chung is ugh at best. They probably wanted Delmas but that obviously didn't work out.

Butler is a nice pick. Great pick, no. But nice pick.

Vollmer is a HUGE reach for a guy who should have been taken in round 5.

Tate is a SMALL, slow receiver who automatically gets labeled as a talented player, just like every other druggy.

good points, it's also possible that more of these guys will end up on our roster than on the Pats' roster... Kareem Brown was a fourth round pick of theirs... there was a tackle before that. Jets will scan for roster cuts in August, and several depth guys will be added then. Half the guys (at least) that the Pats are drafting will be cut in August.

[QUOTE=John_0515;3103503]The Patriots have had the best draft of anyone so far. So many picks, and taking all good solid players. They didn't really need someone right now, and are stacked for the future.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the same strategy paid dividends for them in 2007 draft when people critized Tannembaum for trading up for Revis and Harris :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=David Harris;3103476][B]Belicheck is Masterful[/B] [/QUOTE]

He has a knack for finding desperate teams and baiting them into trades that will benefit the Pats in the future. So from that standpoint, I agree, Belichick is the Masterbaiter!

:yes:

All Pro
    this draft couldn't have defined the gap between us more. We gorged and blew our draft on 2 playes while they collected depth and quality with players we'd all like to have...

its sad, and i don't mean that in an insulting manner, but that i'm actually sad when i think about it

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3103502]Exactly

Ven0m had an excellent point in a thread yesterday. In the 2007 draft the Pats had nine picks. You know how many are still on their roster? One (Merriweather) that's it.

The Pats are stacked top to bottom basically. Many of these guys that everyone is saying the Pats are "stealing" won't even be on their active roster come September.[/QUOTE]

You have to look at lots of picks a couple ways, In one breath you can say the pats for all their picks didn't produce players. You can also look back at a couple of the jets best players in rhodes and washington and say that the reason we hit on those guys was because of additional picks. sometimes it works out other times not. the one thing you do have with lots of picks is the chance to manuever on draft day. The jets can't do anything even if they wanted to now.

[QUOTE=woodside;3103508]Yeah the same strategy paid dividends for them in 2007 draft when people critized Tannembaum for trading up for Revis and Harris :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

The more players you draft, the more solid starters, role players, and pleasant surprises you get. Just look at the Cowboys' drafts when they traded Herchel.

Oh man, McGhee from Texas A&M got picked by the cowboys.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=John_0515;3103503]The Patriots have had the best draft of anyone so far. So many picks, and taking all good solid players. They didn't really need someone right now, and are stacked for the future.[/QUOTE]

So all we have to do is see whose on their practice squad in Sept and sign him to our roster and we have a solid player yes???:P

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3103502]Exactly

The Pats are stacked top to bottom basically. Many of these guys that everyone is saying the Pats are "stealing" won't even be on their active roster come September.[/QUOTE]

And I'm sure during the '07 draft there were alot of "Belichick is a master" threads/posts.