Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Belicheck is Masterful

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3103512]You have to look at lots of picks a couple ways, In one breath you can say the pats for all their picks didn't produce players. You can also look back at a couple of the jets best players in rhodes and washington and say that the reason we hit on those guys was because of additional picks. sometimes it works out other times not. the one thing you do have with lots of picks is the chance to manuever on draft day. The jets can't do anything even if they wanted to now.[/QUOTE]

Because they have already done what they wanted to do... But I won't argue that point because I'd rather have more picks too.

That said, please take notice of the fact that the Pats are generally very bad drafters... VERY bad. Had they not gotten as lucky with Brady as they did, Belichick would have been gone long ago.

Mayo is their last player that actually looks decent. The Meriweather draft was pathetic too yet people here were again trying so hard to give credit. Meriweather is still on the team but he sucks as much as a player could.

Just continues with this draft... Brace is big, but he's weak and will certainly never play. Chung just an OK type prospect with no special ability. Vollmer was a 4 round reach. Butler is a good pick, but he's nothing special either.

[QUOTE=John_0515;3103515]The more players you draft, the more solid starters, role players, and pleasant surprises you get. Just look at the Cowboys' drafts when they traded Herchel.

Oh man, McGhee from Texas A&M got picked by the cowboys.[/QUOTE]

Dude, just look at the Pats 07 draft because this is exactly what they did that year.

Took a ton of players and they all SUCKED.

The Pats are the best team in this league in my mind, but don't give them credit for something they don't deserve.

[QUOTE=David Harris;3103497]Do you like the Pat White pick Hess? I agree with McShay, that it was a little self-indulgent with this Wildcat fad.[/QUOTE]

ANd to John too,

They possibly could have gotten the two best CB in the draft. I love the Davis and Smith picks. I don't look at Pat White as a Qb but as a weapon.
    Some may look at Turner as a reach but think about it. Everyone on this board is in LOVE with Barden. Turner is the same size except he's playing at USC while Barden is conquering Montana and South Dakota CBs with fade routes.

[QUOTE=Savage69;3103517]So all we have to do is see whose on their practice squad in Sept and sign him to our roster and we have a solid player yes???:P[/QUOTE]

You're missing the point. The more players you draft, the higher successful players you're get. They've drafted so many good players (college players) that the chance of all of them not being good in the NFL is very slim.

Don't get me wrong, they're also in a different position than we are. We needed a QB, they have one, they have WRs, have solid starters on defense (which we do as well). As Mortensen said on ESPN, the Jets are a very aggressive franchise right now, which is true. The Patriots are going about business as usual. BB is not afraid to make these moves that makes him look like a genius, as much as it pains me. It does look like the Patriots have a rabbit's foot stuck up their ass too, because everything seems to work out for them, player-wise, when punishments are handed down, schedules, etc.

i'm a Jets fan first, but you can't say the Patriots aren't loading their team up. How they pay or make room for all these players is a good problem to have, and hopefully we have the same problem one day.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3103511]this draft couldn't have defined the gap between us more. We gorged and blew our draft on 2 playes while they collected depth and quality with players we'd all like to have...

its sad, and i don't mean that in an insulting manner, but that i'm actually sad when i think about it[/QUOTE]

Paradis, you are so hung up this draft. The Jets made a bold move for what they believe will be a franchise QB. The Giants traded Philip Rivers and Shawn Merriman and other picks for the same ideal.

Tanny has done a hell of a job, look at the players he has drafted. We now have a core, we never had a core before. He basically started from almost scratch 3 years ago. He has to make these moves now and my hope is that if he hits on Sanchez he will evolve into what the Chargers and Pats are now. You have to have bread and water before you can re-stock the cupboard. And I'm assuming you read my feelings on Shonn Greene, I'm not happy about it but my feelings and faith in Tanny are very solid. He's earned it with:

Brick
    Mangold
    Leon
    Revis
    Harris
    Stuckey

Jenkins
    Scott
    Pace
    Shephard

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3103502]Exactly

Ven0m had an excellent point in a thread yesterday. In the 2007 draft the Pats had nine picks. You know how many are still on their roster? One (Merriweather) that's it.

The Pats are stacked top to bottom basically. Many of these guys that everyone is saying the Pats are "stealing" won't even be on their active roster come September.[/QUOTE]

Brace will be inactive most of the season unless Wilfork goes down. He'll have a year to learn and get stronger. Same for Mckenzie, unless he makes the gameday roster on ST's.

Tate will be IR'ed. I expect butler & chung to compete for starting spots while being part of the 45 man gameday roster.

The pats 5th rd pick is already on the roster in Greg Lewis. How many 5th rd wr's could be expected to beat him out they're 1st yr? lewis will be active as the 4th wr.

Teams that have a lot of rookies starting also have bad records, ala KC last season. the Colts normally have a bunch of 2nd day guys in their lineup, but they are the exception to the rule. They can get guys that fit the tampa 2 defense, let them contribute, then let them walk in the 3rd / 4th yr.

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3103524]Dude, just look at the Pats 07 draft because this is exactly what they did that year.

The Pats are the best team in this league in my mind, but don't give them credit for something they don't deserve.[/QUOTE]

I personally believe in stockpiling picks. Sometimes they don't add up, and sometimes players are busts, but the more picks you make, over the years, the more picks turn out to be good players.

Maroney and Jackson may have been busts, but Mayo is a good player that'll be annoying us for years to come. 1 of 3 players in the draft become quality starters in the NFL, so if you have 15 picks, that's half your defense right there.

I like the players they picked, and the model they're using, not praising their douchebag coach because he's a nice guy. In the end, I think there's more to their success than just BB, but I have to say that I wish we had 12 draft choices today to move up and down and take the players we want to fill holes.

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3103524]Dude, just look at the Pats 07 draft because this is exactly what they did that year.

The Pats are the best team in this league in my mind, but don't give them credit for something they don't deserve.[/QUOTE]

YeaH, they SUCKED so bad two ended up with the Jets and most of the rest are still in the NFL.

Just because they couldn't crack the pats roster doesn't reflect on the player. It's a hard thing to do.

[QUOTE=Tailgater;3103564]YeaH, they SUCKED so bad two ended up with the Jets and most of the rest are still in the NFL.

Just because they couldn't crack the pats roster doesn't reflect on the player. It's a hard thing to do.[/QUOTE]

Part of having it being a good draft pick is having the player actually play well for YOUR team.

The Pats traded a late 1st in 2007 that became Jerod Mayo last year. I'd say they know what they're doing.

[QUOTE=scrizzy;3103594]The Pats traded a late 1st in 2007 that became Jerod Mayo last year. I'd say they know what they're doing.[/QUOTE]

One particular pick gets them that much?

Well I guess since Tannenbaum has drafted a few pro bowlers we should just sign him up to be the GM for the next 30 years?

In 2007, Only three of their nine picks were before the sixth round and only one was in the first three rounds. Meriweather is a starter. It looks like Kareem Brown could be fighting for a starting job with the Jets (he was cut and tried to be moved to the practice squad in week six because of a rash of injuries and the Jets picked him up off of waivers). Clint Oldenburg plays for the Broncos. Justin Rogers plays for the Cowboys.

Do people really think that if you draft a bunch of sixth and seventh rounders that a team is going have a lot of hits? Especially with a team that went 18-1 and had few weaknesses.

The Pats have had their share of misses, but to claim that the Pats couldn't get 6 sixth and seventh round picks to make a team that went undefeated regular season means that Belichick is horrible at draft is a little ridiculous.

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3103590]Part of having it being a good draft pick is having the player actually play well for YOUR team.[/QUOTE]

Part of having a perinial Super Bowl contender is not being able to keep many sixth or seventh rounders on your team and the Pats had six that season. Kareen Brown was a victim of needing to activate a CB because of injuries and not being able to sneak him on the practice squad.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3103510]He has a knack for finding desperate teams and baiting them into trades that will benefit the Pats in the future. So from that standpoint, I agree, Belichick is the Masterbaiter!

:yes:[/QUOTE]

Kidding aside, I don't think this is the scenario at all. My take on this is that
    teams are coming to BB for position and the Pats have a price for that position.
    Nobody is making anyone do the trade except the lust for the player a team
    is trying to get, and if BB thinks the trade is better value to the Pats than the
    pick. Not very complicated. I think most GM's/coaches around the league
    know that Bill will trade for value and when they come with the pocket book
    open, he will listen.

I love Chung and like Butler, but I'm not that envious of the rest of their draft.

Brace just clogs the middle. He's fat, weak, and unathletic.

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3103590]Part of having it being a good draft pick is having the player actually play well for YOUR team.[/QUOTE]

that can be hard to do when the roster is stocked already. The players that didn't make the team went on to other teams that were not as talented.

If the Pats could have traded all those picks to get one or two sure things i bet they would have done so. I don't think the league would have liked it if they had just passed on 5 or 6 picks.

How long will Parcells and Belichik continue to haunt us?
    They delivered absolutely nothing as Jets but now add salt to the wounds.
    In our own division no less.
    You can't make this stuff up.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :D how is it masterful? have they taken the field yet???

[QUOTE=David Harris;3103476]I mean that word, masterful. If I remove myself from the AFC East knee jerk hate mongering (difficult for me) I can't help but be astounded by what he's pulled off over the last 2 days. Espn is reviewing it right now.

A 2nd round that makes me drool with:

Chung S
    Brace DT
    Butler CB

Then landing the sliding Tate WR in the 3rd.

But the beauty is setting up the future by parlaying 3rd rounders into future 2nd rounders. Added benefit is that the Pats assuredly will always pick near the end of these rounds and trade them for future picks a round higher to bad teams. That could be a 60 slot swing simply for having the patience and foresight to trade for next year's picks. 2nd round picks are where you get quality players on the cheap. Contracts are so small while the talent is still so large.

Funny thing is that NE is actually often a below average drafting team outside of the first round. But these moves over the weekend are just masterful.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    :D LOL the pats can't do any wrong.....every move they make is amazing according to most.....how many Pats draft picks are really making such a huge inpact.....yeah they are so called Stacked but the Chowds so called dynasty ended almost 5 years ago! LOL

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3103506]Ugh.. You guys are painful to read.

Assume for one second that they are not the Pats, and just some other team. Go look at their past drafts. They have been AWFUL at drafting for the most part. Fortunately for them, they hit on Brady, and that makes a lot of mistakes not matter.

Their best pick in the last bunch of years was Mayo.

As for this draft, Brace SUCKS. He has size that automatically makes people take notice, but he has ZERO strength at the point and is just awful. He'll hang around the league for a few years ala Rashad Moore.

Chung is ugh at best. They probably wanted Delmas but that obviously didn't work out.

Butler is a nice pick. Great pick, no. But nice pick.

Vollmer is a HUGE reach for a guy who should have been taken in round 5.

Tate is a SMALL, slow receiver who automatically gets labeled as a talented player, just like every other druggy.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    :D good point

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3103512]You have to look at lots of picks a couple ways, In one breath you can say the pats for all their picks didn't produce players. You can also look back at a couple of the jets best players in rhodes and washington and say that the reason we hit on those guys was because of additional picks. sometimes it works out other times not. the one thing you do have with lots of picks is the chance to manuever on draft day. The jets can't do anything even if they wanted to now.[/QUOTE]