Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Belicheck is Masterful

Veteran
    It continues to boggle the mind how people try and constantly compare the Jets and Patriots as if they are in the same position and are drafting for the same needs. The only similarities between the two is that they play in the same division and are both trying to win, outside of that, they are drafting for totally different needs.

The Patriots have an offense that does not lack a player (other than maybe RB and TE). They have a defense that needs some secondary help, and some depth for next year's FA. They have the luxury of drafting basically for depth and for the future. Seriously, outside of the secondary, which they filled with two of their first few picks, the Patriots had a SB team going into the draft.

The Jets, on the other hand, as has already been pointed out many times, have a LOT of holes to address, and went into the draft needing to continue to set up their base, from which in the next few years they can build depth on to. They weren't a SB team coming into the draft, and still aren't now, but they are closer. They are adding impact players and mixing them in with solid role players. They are building an identity and an attitude.

It is possible to look at the two drafts outside of your blinding fandom, or at least outside of your blinding Patriot envy. They both had drafts that helped them out a LOT. They are both better teams than they were two days ago. The Jets probably by a bigger margin, but they had a lot further to go.

At this point next season, the Jets *may* have the luxury of stockpiling draft picks and addressing depth.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3103503]The Patriots have had the best draft of anyone so far. So many picks, and taking all good solid players. They didn't really need someone right now, and are stacked for the future.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think the Giants are doing better, having also a large number of picks. Reese has quality from top to bottom. Bill picked guys like Volmer that were definitely reaches. The Bill lovefest is a bit much here. The Pats are actually pretty average with their picks. Their shrewdness is in generating lots of them.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=David Harris;3103536]Paradis, you are so hung up this draft. The Jets made a bold move for what they believe will be a franchise QB. The Giants traded Philip Rivers and Shawn Merriman and other picks for the same ideal.

Tanny has done a hell of a job, look at the players he has drafted. We now have a core, we never had a core before. He basically started from almost scratch 3 years ago. He has to make these moves now and my hope is that if he hits on Sanchez he will evolve into what the Chargers and Pats are now. You have to have bread and water before you can re-stock the cupboard. And I'm assuming you read my feelings on Shonn Greene, I'm not happy about it but my feelings and faith in Tanny are very solid. He's earned it with:

Brick
    Mangold
    Leon
    Revis
    Harris
    Stuckey

Jenkins
    Scott
    Pace
    Shephard[/QUOTE]

look i said over and over i thought waiting till next year for a QB was the better move, both from our current roster and next year's draft standpoint, but the FO disagreed with me. Fine, i'll back them on that one i suppose and hope this kid can be what we all want. The face of the NYJ. I have to believe that...

But trading up for freaking Greene?? i mean c'mon. RBs at this level in the draft are a dime a dozen.

And for all the names we've had and do have on DEF, we've done little to harness their potential, cause we lean on them for 16 games instead of spreading out the responsibility and adding depth.. We've done nothing to address that this year.

[B]We're an injury or 2 away from a defensive collapse at this point IMO[/B]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3103511]this draft couldn't have defined the gap between us more. We gorged and blew our draft on 2 playes while they collected depth and quality with players we'd all like to have...

its sad, and i don't mean that in an insulting manner, but that i'm actually sad when i think about it[/QUOTE]

There's been a gap between us and the Pats for the past decade because they have one of the greatest QB's of all-time and we've been stuck in QB limbo.

We just added a potential franchise QB for the first time in nearly 40 years.

Added depth doesn't help us overtake the Patriots. A stud QB does.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3104172]There's been a gap between us and the Pats for the past decade because they have one of the greatest QB's of all-time and we've been stuck in QB limbo.

We just added a potential franchise QB for the first time in nearly 40 years.

Added depth doesn't help us overtake the Patriots. A stud QB does.[/QUOTE]

I really really hope you're right. I'm not holding my breath yet, but it does me no good to sit here and be disgruntled about him for the next 2 years. I have to move on and enjoy our team this fall. So ya i've come to terms with that pick.

but i cannot justify or settle for whats happened since then. Call me stubborn but there's so many positions we needed depth at on DEF especially and we really blew it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3104230]I really really hope you're right. I'm not holding my breath yet, but it does me no good to sit here and be disgruntled about him for the next 2 years. I have to move on and enjoy our team this fall. So ya i've come to terms with that pick.

but i cannot justify or settle for whats happened since then. Call me stubborn but there's so many positions we needed depth at on DEF especially and we really blew it.[/QUOTE]

I can understand having some objections regarding moving up for Greene. We gave up a pretty big sum, but I do think he can be a good starter in this league.

[QUOTE=Tailgater;3103564]YeaH, they SUCKED so bad two ended up with the Jets and most of the rest are still in the NFL.

Just because they couldn't crack the pats roster doesn't reflect on the player. It's a hard thing to do.[/QUOTE]

To add to that, the Pats also picked up Welker and Moss in 2007 with draft picks, plus they gained the 49'ers 1st pick who became Mayo. So, that was 3 of their first 4 rounds. Doesn't seem so sucky now.

I will be the one who's gonna piss into Belichicken lovers soup.
    Pats had an ammunition to get for example Crabtree. Who would be able to stop Moss-Crabtree-Welker with Brady throwing to them? Instead of landing 12 dudes, 4 of which will make a roster and one MAY BE becoming a star player - they could get a gamebreaker. They also could trade up and get some great OL to protect great Brady.
    They just grab a bunch of players who will be ready to leave the team when they actually are ready to play a starters. Team that deep does not need dozen picks for depth -and they blew it again.
    But there is always silver lining. Other teams can pick up from their obviously the best in sports practice squad.

[QUOTE=RussianGreen;3104380]I will be the one who's gonna piss into Belichicken lovers soup.
    Pats had an ammunition to get for example Crabtree. Who would be able to stop Moss-Crabtree-Welker with Brady throwing to them? Instead of landing 12 dudes, 4 of which will make a roster and one MAY BE becoming a star player - they could get a gamebreaker. They also could trade up and get some great OL to protect great Brady.
    They just grab a bunch of players who will be ready to leave the team when they actually are ready to play a starters. Team that deep does not need dozen picks for depth -and they blew it again.
    But there is always silver lining. Other teams can pick up from their obviously the best in sports practice squad.[/QUOTE]

First of all, the Pats do not need a receiver. They have proven receivers in Moss, Welker, and Galloway. The Pats drafted Tate who will be potentially ready next year and gets to spend a year learning from the vets. They also do not need the huge salary (cap) hit that a Crabtree would cost, especially if he busts (check your history of "can't miss" draft picks over the past years). The offensive line is just fine, so they do not need to draft a large-salaried O-Lineman. This year's draft does not provide elite talent in the top 15-or-so, but provides late-first-to-early-third round talent that is very solid. They traded up into the 2nd round in next year's draft with two of their four 3rd rounders. The Pats don't have many holes to fill, but they also did not need to move up into the top 10 or 15 to get a high-priced potential bust. They have their QB in place and didn't need to reach for a Sanchez-type player. I mean, this kid was 14-2 (only 16 games!) in college, and now he's a franchise player? He's very expensive and could set the Jets' franchise back a few years if he fails. The Jets have a huge need at QB, but this kid is a bigger risk in my opinion. BTW, maybe the Pats could start forfeiting picks, so that they don't have so many players that don't make the team. Perhaps, that is why the whole Spygate thing happened - they didn't need so many inconvenient draft picks ...
    Last edited by lusdawg; 04-26-2009 at 05:56 PM.

The funny thing is jet fans ragged on Cassel for only having 1 year of nfl starting experience and now they are going to be paying the same amount of money for a guy with 1 year of college experience.

[QUOTE=lusdawg;3104439]First of all, the Pats do not need a receiver. They have proven receivers in Moss, Welker, and Galloway. The Pats drafted Tate who will be potentially ready next year and gets to spend a year learning from the vets. They also do not need the huge salary (cap) hit that a Crabtree would cost, especially if he busts (check your history of "can't miss" draft picks over the past years). The offensive line is just fine, so they do not need to draft a large-salaried O-Lineman. This year's draft does not provide elite talent in the top 15-or-so, but provides late-first-to-early-third round talent that is very solid. They traded up into the 2nd round in next year's draft with two of their four 3rd rounders. The Pats don't have many holes to fill, but they also did not need to move up into the top 10 or 15 to get a high-priced potential bust. They have their QB in place and didn't need to reach for a Sanchez-type player. I mean, this kid was 14-2 (only 16 games!) in college, and now he's a franchise player? He's very expensive and could set the Jets' franchise back a few years if he fails. The Jets have a huge need at QB, but this kid is a bigger risk in my opinion. BTW, maybe the Pats could start forfeiting picks, so that they don't have so many players that don't make the team. Perhaps, that is why the whole Spygate thing happened - they didn't need so many inconvenient draft picks ...[/QUOTE]

Ah the Chad Jackson is better than Crabtree defense :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=woodside;3104581]Ah the Chad Jackson is better than Crabtree defense :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

ok ... :confused:
    Last edited by lusdawg; 04-26-2009 at 06:22 PM.

[QUOTE=chris6666;3104460]The funny thing is jet fans ragged on Cassel for only having 1 year of nfl starting experience and now they are going to be paying the same amount of money for a guy with 1 year of college experience.[/QUOTE]

No one cares what pickelsmockers from chowland think. Please position you head back into belicheater's ass and stop whining.
    I was talking to fellow jets fans who for blinded by Krafty's propagande started to believe in "genious" of a dude who claim to fame is stealing million bucks from a dying old man.

[QUOTE=RussianGreen;3104605]I was talking to fellow jets fans who for blinded by Krafty's propagande started to believe in "genious" of a dude who claim to fame is stealing million bucks from a dying old man.[/QUOTE]

Time to put away the vodka, pardner

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3103511]this draft couldn't have defined the gap between us more. We gorged and blew our draft on 2 playes while they collected depth and quality with players we'd all like to have...

its sad, and i don't mean that in an insulting manner, but that i'm actually sad when i think about it[/QUOTE]

You should repeat yourself about 700 more times. I don't think you got your point across the first 700 times you said the same thing over and over.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=shevys;3104611]You should repeat yourself about 700 more times. I don't think you got your point across the first 700 times you said the same thing over and over.[/QUOTE]

:P Or just become a Pat fan..:yes:

[QUOTE=RussianGreen;3104380]I will be the one who's gonna piss into Belichicken lovers soup.
    But there is always silver lining. Other teams can pick up from their obviously the best in sports practice squad.[/QUOTE]

Well, you should be happy that the Jets now get to continue to collect the Pats' scraps. I mean, other teams in the world are starving, and you're complaining. Shame on you ...:tsk::shakehead
    Last edited by lusdawg; 04-26-2009 at 06:43 PM.

[QUOTE=lusdawg;3104607]Time to put away the vodka, pardner[/QUOTE]

Go back to the stalls and ask someone to give you a good whipping.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3104616]:P Or just become a Pat fan..:yes:[/QUOTE]

Clearly. He's got some sort of wicked man-love for Bellicheat and his ilk.

[QUOTE=RussianGreen;3104621]Go back to the stalls and ask someone to give you a good whipping.[/QUOTE]

Been there. Done that. BTW, you should go back and re-read your post that I quoted - something about "Krafty" and his "genious" dead million-dollar baby. Do [I]you[/I] even know what you were trying to say?
    Last edited by lusdawg; 04-26-2009 at 06:52 PM.