Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Cotchery, Clowney, Stuckey, Brad Smith close to enough at WR?

Jets Insider VIP

Are Cotchery, Clowney, Stuckey, Brad Smith close to enough at WR?

Is WR a major hole for this team? Apparently not if you let the Jets actions speak for them. In fact, they felt that RB was so much more of a need or value at the top of the 3rd that they've forgone the possibily of acquiring anything more than a developmental WR project in the rest of this draft.

Do the Jets see a veteran freeing up this Spring or early Summer from another team? Torry Holt was only recently signed and was out on the market for a little longer than I thought he would be. Does that indicate the market for veteran WRs is very soft? With the exception of crazy Al Davis, most teams watched WRs slide a little in this draft too. Does that confirm that WR is an easy position to fill in the coming weeks/months?

I like the potential of Clowney and Stuckey. But you cannot trust either to be your #2 right now, especially with a rookie QB IMO.

No, we suck at WR.

We need one big speedy guy.

Trade TJ and something for Edwards.

Do it.

No, we need a WR badly.

I think Clowney will have a productive season, but we still need that #1 guy.

Veteran
    All depends on how Clowney works out at this point.

Jets Insider VIP
    If you take your eyes off of the depth chart, and look at it as passing options, the Jets are fine at WR. In fact, by losing Coles, they have gained more versatility.

Clowney - pure speed deep threat
    Smith - versatile playmaker, can run, throw, catch
    Stuckey - great slot WR, esp on 3rd down and the red zone
    Keller - stretches the seam, which btw is Sanchez strength
    Henry - uproven
    Wright - unproven
    Leon Wash - more chances in the passing game without Coles now.

I think in the 6th we may grab a guy like Ogletree if we don't go TE.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

We should definitely take a look at trading for a veteran receiver, or signing one in free agency. I also think this is a huge opportunity for David Clowney, who I like a lot.

Theres not going to be anything left at WR, so we take a backup DT or TE.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Our WR situation is terrible..

These guys will not get open regularly and our rookie QB will get killed..

We must do whatever we can for Edwards.. Yeah, I know he drops balls, but his presenese will open up the middle of the field for Cotch and Keller

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3103602]Is WR a major hole for this team? Apparently not if you let the Jets actions speak for them. In fact, they felt that RB was so much more of a need or value at the top of the 3rd that they've forgone the possibily of acquiring anything more than a developmental WR project in the rest of this draft.

Do the Jets see a veteran freeing up this Spring or early Summer from another team? Torry Holt was only recently signed and was out on the market for a little longer than I thought he would be. Does that indicate the market for veteran WRs is very soft? With the exception of crazy Al Davis, most teams watched WRs slide a little in this draft too. Does that confirm that WR is an easy position to fill in the coming weeks/months?

I like the potential of Clowney and Stuckey. But you cannot trust either to be your #2 right now, especially with a rookie QB IMO.[/QUOTE]

Well at this point at least...it would appear the FO thinks so...but the Greene pick made me fell better...maybe they ca work something else out...we have TJ...our 6th pick and our whole draft for next year....

I wouldn't mind a trade up right now for Louis Murphy, but if we don't go WR in the 6th, I'm fine with our WR.

Keller is going to be an enormous part of our offense. I think he could lead us in receiving yards.

I think the one clear message by the Jets actions is that they are not a "Win now" team....they're a very solid team that is building something long-term with a new coach and a new Quarterback.

So no, maybe they won't have every need filled, but it's about the big picture here folks.

[QUOTE=New Jerzey Jet;3103613]No, we need a WR badly.

I think Clowney will have a productive season, but we still need that #1 guy.[/QUOTE]

+1

The simple answer is no our group of WR is definitely not good enough. With 2 solid receivers in front of them none of them proved good enough to get anything more than spot minutes.

WE NEED ANOTHER WR

Package up TJ and some picks and go for Edwards

Hell at this point Id even trade picks for Ochocinco

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't really see the use in taking a receiver in the 6th round. What's really the point? We weren't even getting a receiver in the 3rd round that could beat out Stuckey or Clowney in his 1st year. Why take a receiver in the 6th? Might as well just see what Marcus Henry is capable of in camp and the pre-season.

I'd rather we get an in-line blocker at TE (Bear Pascoe/Anthony Hill) or a solid OL prospect with our last pick.

I'd definitely look into a Braylon Edwards/Anquan Boldin trade at this point.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Wallace Wright;3103653]I wouldn't mind a trade up right now for Louis Murphy, but if we don't go WR in the 6th, I'm fine with our WR.

Keller is going to be an enormous part of our offense. I think he could lead us in receiving yards.[/QUOTE]

Great point. The Chargers had success on offense with a rotational cast of WRs but with a strong QB, running game and TE (Antonio Gates). We might try to use the same formula.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3103694]I don't really see the use in taking a receiver in the 6th round. What's really the point? We weren't even getting a receiver in the 3rd round that could beat out Stuckey or Clowney in his 1st year. Why take a receiver in the 6th? Might as well just see what Marcus Henry is capable of in camp and the pre-season.

I'd rather we get an in-line blocker at TE (Bear Pascoe/Anthony Hill) or a solid OL prospect with our last pick.

[B]I'd definitely look into a Braylon Edwards/Anquan Boldin trade at this point[/B].[/QUOTE]

I don't want to trade a future pick for one of those guys though, certainly not a 1st rounder.

[QUOTE=One Eye;3103618]If you take your eyes off of the depth chart, and look at it as passing options, the Jets are fine at WR. In fact, by losing Coles, they have gained more versatility.

Clowney - pure speed deep threat
    Smith - versatile playmaker, can run, throw, catch
    Stuckey - great slot WR, esp on 3rd down and the red zone
    Keller - stretches the seam, which btw is Sanchez strength
    Henry - uproven
    Wright - unproven
    Leon Wash - more chances in the passing game without Coles now.

I think in the 6th we may grab a guy like Ogletree if we don't go TE.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the WR core of this team is very much role players. I think Keller and Cotch will get the tough yards and hopefully Clowney can make one or two big plays a game to help out...I think the group is solid all around, but they really arnt going to scare anyone. Get used to a ball control offense that moves very slowly downfeild. It may be tough to score points.

I would also mark Henry as a possible redzone threat even though unproven

I think our current roster is definitely servicable and has some potential for upside with clowney and stuckey. HOWEVER, if I am the Jets front office and I just took a high profile gamble on a pretty boy QB then I want to increase the odds as much as possible that I look like a genius rather than a jackass, and the best way to do that is to get him a big target with soft hands who can seperate. I don't think our FO is dumb so I gotta believe they are working on something.

I'm all for trading a second rounder for Boldin or Edwards. They are both 1st round talent and proven assets.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=intothegreen;3103711]I agree that the WR core of this team is very much role players. I think Keller and Cotch will get the tough yards and hopefully Clowney can make one or two big plays a game to help out...I think the group is solid all around, but they really arnt going to scare anyone. Get used to a ball control offense that moves very slowly downfeild. It may be tough to score points.

I would also mark Henry as a possible redzone threat even though unproven[/QUOTE]

Henry should be a redzone threat with his size, but I'm not going to label anything that is potential and not fact.

I just think, like UT said, the JEts are good at WR for now. Unless they can get a Braylon Edwards or Boldin, then what's the point?

We desperately need some TEs.