Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: don't doubt tanny anymore.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;3104185]I am sorry but he has spent like a drunken sailor to get free agents which does not take any great skill except to keep on bidding after everyone else thinks the price has gone beyond the point where the value justifies the deal.

People starting threads like this one were the same folks declaring Mike T. was the greatest thing since sliced bread after the Farve deal got done. You know, the one where Mike Tannenbaum never met a microphone he didn't like to talk about how HIS persistence and HIS determination got the deal done. Yes the same Mike Tannenbaum who was nowhere to be found when Favre stunk up the end of the season for us. Yes, THAT Mike Tannenbaum.

Tannenbaum gave us Mangini.

Tannenbaum gave us the Pete Kendall mess and the Derelle Revis contract mess. Sure, Revis was a great pick but we ended up overpaying to get him signed by as much as ten million dollars or more. Not good GM'ing there.

Tannenbaum has now traded away a boatload of picks during his time here when all the best franchises are accumulating picks. I guess he is smarter than all of those other GM's. You know, the ones who have Superbowl rings and Championships and stuff.

If making a splash is the measuring stick then yes, Mike Tannenbaum is a success. Right up there with Daniel Snyder, Jerry Jones and Al Davies.[/QUOTE]

Very rousing speech there sir, but no. Tanny's a damn good GM, plain and simple.

I realize good GM's have perfect records, but a few blemishes isn't something I'd lose sleep over.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3104207]Very rousing speech there sir, but no. Tanny's a damn good GM, plain and simple.

I realize good GM's have perfect records, but a few blemishes isn't something I'd lose sleep over.[/QUOTE]

Thee picks for a team with lots of holes to fill. Two cheap and servicable players traded away and where we will need to replace them out of somebody's trash can. A trash can that is available to everyone but one where Cleveland will not be having to rummage through.

Seriously, what are his highlights because being the high-bidder on free agents takes no particular skill.

Tannenbaum is a jumped up teaboy who had some contract skills before the rest of the league caught up to some of those. Other than that I see zero in his resume to make him a football guy. Maybe he is angling for a post GM career on SNY or something. The moves this weekend reminds me more of the desperation moves made by Phil Espositio and Isaiah Thomas after they had already screwed up and knew they were on a short leash. Sanchez was a smart move. It will buy Mike T. some time. Nobody will expect a final call on Sanchez for 3-5 years which is why I think Tannenbaum did the deal. It buys him some job security.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;3104238]Thee picks for a team with lots of holes to fill. Two cheap and servicable players traded away and where we will need to replace them out of somebody's trash can. A trash can that is available to everyone but one where Cleveland will not be having to rummage through.

Seriously, what are his highlights because being the high-bidder on free agents takes no particular skill.

Tannenbaum is a jumped up teaboy who had some contract skills before the rest of the league caught up to some of those. Other than that I see zero in his resume to make him a football guy. Maybe he is angling for a post GM career on SNY or something. The moves this weekend reminds me more of the desperation moves made by Phil Espositio and Isaiah Thomas after they had already screwed up and knew they were on a short leash. Sanchez was a smart move. It will buy Mike T. some time. Nobody will expect a final call on Sanchez for 3-5 years which is why I think Tannenbaum did the deal. It buys him some job security.[/QUOTE]

You know your football, and you're eloquent - your talents are definitely wasted here!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously this thread could have been started numerous times on Washington Redskins boards every time Daniel Snyder went out and overpaid for some free agent or other. Every time he traded away future picks to provide short-term benefits, often of dubious nature.

This thread could have been started numerous times in Dallas, say after the TO deal or the Roy Williams deal.

Was there any doubt that the Owners/GM's were doing a great job? Obviously they had managed to caress the eroginous zones of their short horizon aspected fanbase. So much so that they manage to pull off the same trick every year. Guess what, we are on the front pages because of a QB deal for the 2nd year in a row.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry but all the negativity must come from fans under 25 years old, fans that have not been Jets' fans for very long, or just incredible pessimistic.

Try going back to the 70s, 80s, or even the first half of the 90s, to find horrible player personnel decisions, bad player development, losing culture, and just bad luck.

Since Parcells came and brought Tanny with him, the Jets have changed the culture. We do not sit back and "hope" great things just fall our way. As has been said on here MANY times, every draft, the goal is to get 2-3 players. If you can get 2 starters out of a draft, then you call it a success.

This draft has JAG written all over it. NE's brain trust is in KC. Now BB is doing the same thing they did in KC last year. Stockpiling muliple picks in every round in what many say is the weakest draft in probably a decade. How many of those picks do you think are going to make their team?

I fell sorry for everyone that is having an issue with this pick. This is the first time in my lifetime that we have taken a QB this high, it could be another 40 years before we do it again. Sanchez is the real deal. Right now I would project him better than 19 teams' starter by the end of his second year (StL, Sea, Cincy, GB, NO, SD, Chi, Philly, NE, Atl, Ind, & Pitt would be the exceptions). By his 4th year, the Jets will have one of the best QBs in the league.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3104069]Pats have about 15 picks in this draft. Pats WIN SUPER BOWLS.

We have like 3 picks in the draft. and we win nothing.

Good job Tannenclown.[/QUOTE]

Thats specious reasoning.

The most important moves the pats made had nothing to do with extra picks.

A 4th rounder for Moss, Brady in the 6th round, Cassell in the 7th round. The reason the Pats are doing so well is A) they have a fantastic coach and B) they've made some great deals.

Obviously, it's great to do what the Pats are doing also. But, the idea that the Pats are good because they have a lot of picks is simplifying the issue a ton. Even most Pats fans will tell you that.
    It's easier to move down the draft when you have a QB/Coach that makes the team better.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3104207]Very rousing speech there sir, but no. Tanny's a damn good GM, plain and simple.

I realize good GM's have perfect records, but a few blemishes isn't something I'd lose sleep over.[/QUOTE]

lets face it.the draft is not made for the fans pleasure.tanny did what was good for the team.period.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pcola;3104438]I'm sorry but all the negativity must come from fans under 25 years old, fans that have not been Jets' fans for very long, or just incredible pessimistic.

Try going back to the 70s, 80s, or even the first half of the 90s, to find horrible player personnel decisions, bad player development, losing culture, and just bad luck.

Since Parcells came and brought Tanny with him, the Jets have changed the culture. We do not sit back and "hope" great things just fall our way. As has been said on here MANY times, every draft, the goal is to get 2-3 players. If you can get 2 starters out of a draft, then you call it a success.

This draft has JAG written all over it. NE's brain trust is in KC. Now BB is doing the same thing they did in KC last year. Stockpiling muliple picks in every round in what many say is the weakest draft in probably a decade. How many of those picks do you think are going to make their team?

I fell sorry for everyone that is having an issue with this pick. This is the first time in my lifetime that we have taken a QB this high, it could be another 40 years before we do it again. Sanchez is the real deal. Right now I would project him better than 19 teams' starter by the end of his second year (StL, Sea, Cincy, GB, NO, SD, Chi, Philly, NE, Atl, Ind, & Pitt would be the exceptions). By his 4th year, the Jets will have one of the best QBs in the league.[/QUOTE]

Well said.