Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are we 100% certain that Sanchez isn't Leinert?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3103978]That just killed your entire argument.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!:yes:

Sanchez arm way stronger than Leinart, not even close.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SCITSCAT;3104040]Exactly!:yes:

Sanchez arm way stronger than Leinart, not even close.[/QUOTE]

Sanchez may have the stronger arm, but, he doesnt have a gun and Leinert made more deep passes in his career - no?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3104033]How does attempting more deep passes translate to having a stronger arm? :huh:[/QUOTE]

Sanchez just started 16 games. We dint know what his deep game is really - do we?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If not for the fact that Leinart and Sanchez both played for the same college team (USC), Not one single person would ever compare Sanchez to Leinart.

Isn't Leinart a Lefty? Last I checked, Sanchez is a Righty.

And last I checked...Lerinart skipped just about every workout drill during the combine from NFL scouts.

Mark Sanchez competed and turned heads with EACH and every Combine skill drill and hid NOTHING from NFL Scouts. Once Rex Ryan and company seen what this kid could do, they fell in love and made their move to pick @ #5.

He's no Leinart...Nothing a like, other than that they both played for USC.

But then again...So did Palmer (Franchise QB) and Cassell (Went 11-5 as a 1st year starter)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3104028]Arod, I remember you loved the Clemens pick from day one.

[B]If you're not convinced that Sanchez isn't the next Leinart, then why aren't you convinced that Clemens isn't the next Joey Harrington or Akili Smith?[/B]
    Comparing guys just because they went to the same school is ridiculous IMO. Sanchez and Leinart really have nothing in common other than playing QB for the Trojans.

It would be no different than me saying Sam Bradford is the next Jason White simply because their both former Heisman winners who played for Oklahoma.[/QUOTE]

There are alot of reasons Ut, and they have all been beaten to death but I'll rehash a few of them for you.

A healthy Chad Pennington went 1-7 as a starter in 2007.

Clemens went 3 and 5 as a starter with one of those losses coming in O.T. [B]with the same exact team.[/B]

Did Clemens win every game he played?? No.

Did he have great QB stats? No.

Clemens did have 3 times as many wins as Pennington did, in the same amount of starts, with the same exact team.

What the hell more can you ask for in the kids first 8 starts [B]with that 2007 team???[/B] A team whose lead RB scored exactly one rushing TD??? Are you friggin' kidding me??

Clemens also has the ability to gets first downs and extend drives with his feet in critical situations when the pocket breaks down - he ran the ball 27 times for 111 yds and a TD in 2007 a 4.1 yd per carry average. The poor kid had no choice but to run for his life behind that O-Line, the fact that he did it well, is a great resource.

I think you will see a big, big difference in Clemens performance now, 3 years into the offense with a quality O-Line in front of him, as well as a solid running game to fall back on which is something else he didn't have in 2007.

To dismiss Clemens because he didn't go 6-2 as a starter or throw 20 TDs and only 5 picks is ridiculous.

With what he had to work with I think he did pretty damn good. The problem is, the kid can't get a fair shake and I think it totally sucks.

Hopefully he will earn his shot this season, he's off to a pretty good start.

Remember what Rex Ryan said, someone has it in their sig somewhere.

"I want a QB that leads the league in wins - I don't care about gaudy QB stats" or something to that effect.

If he really meant that, he should give Clemens a shot, he's done his time on the bench and he deserves the chance.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-26-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    They literally have nothing in common beyond playing for USC. Why that isn't obvious to everyone is beyond me.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3104064]There are alot of reasons Ut, and they have all been beaten to death but I'll rehash a few of them for you.

A healthy Chad Pennington went 1-7 as a starter in 2007.

Clemens went 3 and 5 as a starter with one of those losses coming in O.T. [B]with the same exact team.[/B]

Did Clemens win every game he played?? No.

Did he have great QB stats? No.

Clemens did have 3 times as many wins as Pennington did in the same amount of starts, with the same exact team.

Clemens also has the ability to gets first downs and extend drives with his feet in critical situations when the pocket breaks down - he ran the ball 27 times for 111 yds and a TD in 2007 a 4.1 yd per carry average. The poor kid had no choice but to run for his life behind that O-Line, the fact that he did it will is a great resource.

I think you will see a big, big difference in Clemens performance now, 3 years into the offense with a quality O-Line in front of him, as well as a solid running game to fall back on which is something else he didn't have in 2007.

To dismiss Clemens because he didn't go 6-2 as a starter or throw 20 TDs and only 5 picks in ridiculous. With what he had to work with I think he did pretty damn good. The problem is, the kid can't get a fair shake and I think it totally sucks.

Hopefully he will earn his shot this season, he's off to a pretty good start.

Remember what Rex Ryan said, someone has it in their sig somewhere.

"I want a QB that leads the league in wins - I don't care about gaudy QB stats" or something to that affect.

If he really meant that, he should give Clemens a shot, he's done his time on the bench and he desrves the chance.[/QUOTE]

And Clemens is going to get another shot. But he has shown me nothing to date that he can even be a starter in this league, much less franchise material.

I agree that it's not all about stats, but Clemens looked like a very unsure, shaken QB when he was out there. Was he thrown into an ideal situation? No, far from it. But his accuracy was horrid even on his short throws and he seemed to develop a bad case of happy feet in the pocket. Not to mention the amount of balls he had batted down at the line of scrimmage.

Let's face it, Sanchez is a much more highly regarded prospect and the chances of him solidifying himself as our franchise QB are much greater than Clemens.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3104093]And Clemens is going to get another shot. But he has shown me nothing to date that he can even be a starter in this league, much less franchise material.

I agree that it's not all about stats, but Clemens looked like a very unsure, shaken QB when he was out there. Was he thrown into an ideal situation? No, far from it. But his accuracy was horrid even on his short throws and he seemed to develop a bad case of happy feet in the pocket. Not to mention the amount of balls he had batted down at the line of scrimmage.

Let's face it, Sanchez is a much more highly regarded prospect and the chances of him solidifying himself as our franchise QB are much greater than Clemens.[/QUOTE]

UT, you haven't seen Clemens [B]START[/B] an NFL game in about a year and a half.

Batted down passes are as much the O-Lines responsibility as they were Clemens because they couldn't anchor and hold their ground at the line of scrimmage, which goes hand and hand with the horrible running game we had. Clemens takes the snap and by the time he sets his feet to throw, he has 2 defenders in his face.

Thomas Jones had a similar problem in 2007, he takes the hand off and there were 2 defenders in the backfield already trying to tackle him for a loss, which happened pretty frequently.

How did Jones improve in 2008 with a solid O-Line?? Big difference right??

By all accounts (and I know it's very early) Clemens is a different QB this year.

I have no doubt whatsoever, you will see a different player when you see Clemens step under center in 2009.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-26-2009 at 02:48 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    who's to say Leinart will even be that bad. He broke his collarbone, then Warner got to step back to the future and throw to Holt & Bruce on a fast track again...... uhh I mean Fitzgerald and Boldin :D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=stinkyB;3104136]who's to say Leinart will even be that bad. He broke his collarbone, then Warner got to step back to the future and throw to Holt & Bruce on a fast track again...... uhh I mean Fitzgerald and Boldin :D[/QUOTE]

He may not be that bad, but, for all the hype he had coming into the NFL, he has not done much to date.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3104028]

Comparing guys just because they went to the same school is ridiculous IMO. Sanchez and Leinart really have nothing in common other than playing QB for the Trojans.[/QUOTE]

Huh? That's like saying you can't compare two cars designed and built by the same factory. The school is where they learned the game. You can't ignore that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsNOW!;3104187]Huh? That's like saying you can't compare two cars designed and built by the same factory. [B]The school is where they learned the game. You can't ignore that[/B].[/QUOTE]

Plus they came out not far apart - 2 or 3 yrs which means they probably had the same coaching staff to learn from.

Thing that really bothers me is I can't think of one franchise QB that has come out of USC other than maybe Carson Palmer and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire either - he had one good season and has been often injured ever since.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsNOW!;3104187]Huh? That's like saying you can't compare two cars designed and built by the same factory. The school is where they learned the game. You can't ignore that.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me?

You can't compare the two because they have virtually NOTHING IN COMMON other than playing at the same school.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Schroy48;3104026]

I never thought Leinert had a "gun". [/QUOTE]

The Giants didn't think Plax had one either...:eek:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3104294]Plus they came out not far apart - 2 or 3 yrs which means they probably had the same coaching staff to learn from.

Thing that really bothers me is I can't think of one franchise QB that has come out of USC other than maybe Carson Palmer and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire either - he had one good season and has been often injured ever since.[/QUOTE]

What's your point? Clemens came from the same coaching staff that tutored Harrington.

And can you think of any QB in Oregon's history that even became a good starter in the NFL, much less approach franchise status?

Seriously, this whole "their the same because they went to the same school" argument is assbackwards and ridiculous.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 04-26-2009 at 03:45 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3104064]

Clemens also has the ability to gets first downs and extend drives with his feet in critical situations when the pocket breaks down - he ran the ball 27 times for 111 yds and a TD in 2007 a 4.1 yd per carry average. The poor kid had no choice but to run for his life behind that O-Line, the fact that he did it well, is a great resource.

To dismiss Clemens because he didn't go 6-2 as a starter or throw 20 TDs and only 5 picks is ridiculous. [/QUOTE]

But...but...he wasn't a first round pick, hasn't shown anything that shows he should be a starter and absolutely sucks!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Schroy48;3104044]Sanchez may have the stronger arm, but, he doesnt have a gun and Leinert made more deep passes in his career - no?[/QUOTE]

Sanchez can throw the football atleast 70 yards in the air... that is good enough, end of story his arm is above average... check the game he had against virginia he threw a touchdown that traveled almost 70 yards in the air... he makes strong accurate throws while leinart lobbed passes like pennington... stop comparing sanchez and leinart their no where near the same player.
    Last edited by NYJets69; 04-26-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJets 4 Life;3104312]But...but...he wasn't a first round pick, hasn't shown anything that shows he should be a starter and absolutely sucks!!!!!!! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Very weak schlepprock.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3104294]Plus they came out not far apart - 2 or 3 yrs which means they probably had the same coaching staff to learn from.

Thing that really bothers me is I can't think of one franchise QB that has come out of USC other than maybe Carson Palmer and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire either - he had one good season and has been often injured ever since.[/QUOTE]

Namath was often injured and had a couple of good seasons and it was enough. Palmer had mad skills before he got hurt the Bengals were actually a SB contender when he went down against the SB champs. Had he not gone down Pittsburgh who won the SB may well have been 1 and done and Palmer may well have held the SB in his second season.

Before he was hurt he was an absolute stud. QB's like Brady, Manning and a healthy Palmer win SB.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3104349]Namath was often injured and had a couple of good seasons and it was enough. Palmer had mad skills before he got hurt the Bengals were actually a SB contender when he went down against the SB champs. Had he not gone down Pittsburgh who won the SB may well have been 1 and done and Palmer may well have held the SB in his second season.

Before he was hurt he was an absolute stud. [B] QB's like Brady, Manning and a healthy Palmer win SB[/B].[/QUOTE]

Manning and Brady have done it, Palmer has not and I don't think he will either.