Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are we 100% certain that Sanchez isn't Leinert?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3104363]Manning and Brady have done it, Palmer has not and I don't think he will either.[/QUOTE]

Certainly not based on skills and his ability to carry an NFL franchise when he came out of college. He clearly was worthy of the No. 1 pick and turned that franchise around. It's no coincidence that they went down the tube when he got hurt.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3104341]Very weak schlepprock.[/QUOTE]

I was poking fun at UT and being completely sarcastic. I'm with you on your stance on Clemens.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJets 4 Life;3104381]I was poking fun at UT and being completely sarcastic. I'm with you on your stance on Clemens.[/QUOTE]

My bad.

I'm starting to feel like I am the only one that thinks this is Clemens chance to show he belongs.

I really do feel like KC has gotten a raw deal to this point and undeservedly so.

3 full seasons in the same offense, he should be lighting it up this season.

It's now or never for KC.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-26-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Schroy48;3103944]:eek:

Compare the two:

Sanchez is more athletic overall

Theyre even as far as charisma and confidence goes

I'll give a slight edge to Sanchez arm strength wise

Edge to Leinert for college experience

We needed a QB. The draft 3 years ago was deeper at QB. Still the gun slinging 6'6 1/2 Freeman was there for the taking.

Sanchez looks like the real deal. I just hope his personality didnt "sell" him to Rex and blinded the Jets to his flaws.

I still love the pick :yes:[/QUOTE]

Sanchez has a much stronger arm then Leinart,, Only the few posters here at JI who said Matt Ryan had a Chad arm last year, doesnt think Sanchez has a good arm... Also Leinart was always a "Hollywood" type guy, I dont see Sanchez the same.. He participated in just about every possible combine drill possible.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3104385]My bad.

I'm starting to feel like I am the only one that thinks this is Clemens chance to show he belongs.

I really do feel like KC has gotten a raw deal to this point and undeservedly so.

3 full seasons in the same offense, he should be lighting it up this season.

It's now or never for KC.[/QUOTE]

Clemens hasn't had too raw of a deal IMO.

I hope he takes advantage of his last chance with the Jets and gives us a ton of value like only a QB can.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3104385]My bad.

I really do feel like KC has gotten a raw deal to this point and undeservedly so.[/QUOTE]

You keep saying that Clemens has gotten a raw deal and deserves a chance. He's had multiple chances.

The last I checked, we've had an open competition at QB every year that Kellen has been in the league. So far he's had three straight years to step up and win the starting job and has failed to do so.

This is his last chance. If he can't beat out a rookie QB who had only 16 starts at the collegiate level, then I think it's pretty safe to say that Clemens is nothing more than a solid backup at best in this league.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3104417]
    This is his last chance. If he can't beat out a rookie QB who had only 16 starts at the collegiate level, then I think it's pretty safe to say that Clemens is nothing more than a solid backup at best in this league.[/QUOTE]

If you look at my last post, I said it's now or never for KC so we agree there.

And I don't think you can call last season an open competition UT, with the Brett Favre trade.

That was more Woody Johnson wanting to sell PSL's than it was an indictment of Clemens ability as a starting QB.

You know that as well as I do.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3104430]If you look at my last post, I said it's now or never for KC so we agree there.

And I don't think you can call last season an open competition UT with the Brett Favre trade.

That was more Woody Johnson wanting to sell PSL's than it was an indictment of Clemens ability as a starting QB.

You know that as well as I do.[/QUOTE]

We traded for Favre because Pennington was essentially wiping the floor with Clemens in camp. We knew Chad wasn't going to be the guy to get us to the next level and Kellen was doing nothing to help his own cause.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3104443]We traded for Favre because Pennington was essentially wiping the floor with Clemens in camp. We knew Chad wasn't going to be the guy to get us to the next level and Kellen was doing nothing to help his own cause.[/QUOTE]

Your logic doesn't make much sense UT.

Assuming what you are saying is true, and that's how the coaching staff felt, if Clemens was that bad and showed nothing, it seems to me they would have cut Clemens and kept the better player in Pennington.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3104454]Your logic doesn't make much sense UT.

Assuming what you are saying is true, and that's how the coaching staff felt, if Clemens was that bad and showed nothing, it seems to me they would have cut Clemens and kept the better player in Pennington.[/QUOTE]

Because Pennington, the veteran leader of the offense, would be riding the bench in favor of Favre. Not to mention that Chad was making WAY more money than Clemens.

The Jets basically did Chad a solid by releasing him and letting him choose his destination.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Schroy48;3103944]Theyre even as far as charisma and confidence goes[/quote]

Disagree, Leinart had the "Hollywood" charisma, Sanchez seems a lot more grounded as a person. I think that will bode well for him in New York.

-----

Really, outside of both going to USC, I don't see a whole ton of comparable. They're really nothing alike. Matt Leinart throws Lefty, Mark Sanchez throws Righty. Sanchez is more athletic with a better arm, Leinart is bigger.

Leinart played on a USC team with Reggie Bush, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith, LenDale White, Ryan Kalil, Deuce Lutui, Sam Baker, Dominique Byrd, ect. Sanchez's supporting cast (On Offense) was nowheres near as impressive. Joe McKnight is a stud, but otherwise they're a young and not overly impressive crop. 3 of his Top 4 Recievers and 2 of his Top 3 Rushers were all Sophomores. The only Senior among that group, Patrick Turner, I believe is still available.

Plus, it's too soon to term Leinart a bust, I mean, he got hurt, Warner played at an MVP level and stole the job from him. It's hard to say if he can or can't play at the NFL level. What's apparent is that Carson Palmer and Matt Cassel can...so I don't think the "System he learned from" is a bad thing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't remember Pennington wiping the floor with Clemens last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3104471]Disagree, Leinart had the "Hollywood" charisma, Sanchez seems a lot more grounded as a person. I think that will bode well for him in New York.

-----

Really, outside of both going to USC, I don't see a whole ton of comparable. They're really nothing alike. Matt Leinart throws Lefty, Mark Sanchez throws Righty. Sanchez is more athletic with a better arm, Leinart is bigger.

Leinart played on a USC team with Reggie Bush, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith, LenDale White, Ryan Kalil, Deuce Lutui, Sam Baker, Dominique Byrd, ect. Sanchez's supporting cast (On Offense) was nowheres near as impressive. Joe McKnight is a stud, but otherwise they're a young and not overly impressive crop. 3 of his Top 4 Recievers and 2 of his Top 3 Rushers were all Sophomores. The only Senior among that group, Patrick Turner, I believe is still available.

Plus, it's too soon to term Leinart a bust, I mean, he got hurt, Warner played at an MVP level and stole the job from him. It's hard to say if he can or can't play at the NFL level. What's apparent is that Carson Palmer and Matt Cassel can...so I don't think the "System he learned from" is a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

Nice post. Not many intelligent, logical posts on the board the past two days unfortunately.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3104474]I don't remember Pennington wiping the floor with Clemens last year.[/QUOTE]

That's one of those facts that aren't factual.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as the subject, Sanchez concerns me mostly because of history, and my opinion that he is top of the line in no aspect of the game (besides footwork, pocket presence. But he is nothing like Leinart.

Leinart has a weak arm. He stares down his WRs. He is immobile. Personally I think the fact that USC was the All World Team, got in the way of people actually evaluating the guy. He's not any good.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3104465]Because Pennington, the veteran leader of the offense, would be riding the bench in favor of Favre. Not to mention that Chad was making WAY more money than Clemens.

The Jets basically did Chad a solid by releasing him and letting him choose his destination.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why the Jets front office would put "doing a player a favor" ahead of the good of the team.

Respectfully disagree with you UT.

Time will tell. Let the chips fall where they may.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3104474]I don't remember Pennington wiping the floor with Clemens last year.[/QUOTE]

Almost every report I read out of camp last year had Pennington controlling the offense effectively while Clemens was basically tossing picks all over the place.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3104546]Almost every report I read out of camp last year had Pennington controlling the offense effectively while Clemens was basically tossing picks all over the place.[/QUOTE]

Pick up your phone.

That is unproven speculation calling.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3104546] while Chad was basically tossing picks all over the place.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh the Raven Playoff game...:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3104064]There are alot of reasons Ut, and they have all been beaten to death but I'll rehash a few of them for you.

A healthy Chad Pennington went 1-7 as a starter in 2007.

Clemens went 3 and 5 as a starter with one of those losses coming in O.T. [B]with the same exact team.[/B]

Did Clemens win every game he played?? No.

Did he have great QB stats? No.

Clemens did have 3 times as many wins as Pennington did, in the same amount of starts, with the same exact team.[/QUOTE]

Here's the problem with that line of argument- it wasn't close to being the same exact team. Not even close. The defense when Chad was playing was putting forth one of the worst efforts in modern history. It turned itself around at the midpoint of the season, which is when Clemens came in.

Here were the Jets defensive DVOA marks in the first eight games: 27.4%, 31.7%, 52.8%, 24.6%, 17.1%, 18.6%, 31.4% and 16.3%. That's an average of 27.5%. The worst defense in the league that year was Miami, whose defensive DVOA was 16.8%. So the Jets defense was nearly twice as bad as the worst defense in the league during the first eight weeks of the season, seven of which were Pennington starts.

During the next eight games, the defense averaged -6.56% DVOA. That would have been good for seventh-best in the league, just behind Chicago and just in front of New England and Baltimore.

So Pennington went 1-7 while dealing with a defense that was playing far worse than any other defense in the league, while Clemens went 3-4 while playing with a unit that was playing like the elite defenses in the league. (His Baltimore start was during the defensive ineptitude stretch.)

They may have been playing with the same personnel, but it most certainly wasn't the same team.