Thread: Eagles trade two 5th rounders for Patriots' DB Ellis Hobbs

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Eagles trade two 5th rounders for Patriots' DB Ellis Hobbs

How can the Patriots sign all these draft choices?

[URL="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-551/Eagles-trade-two-fifth-rounders-for-Pats--Hobbs.html"]http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-551/Eagles-trade-two-fifth-rounders-for-Pats--Hobbs.html[/URL]

I don't know what to think of this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought he's worth more than that?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    dayam! That came out of left field.

I guess this means they really like the players they picked up in fa and the draft.

the guys from PFW said they really liked the Olineman they picked up using the hobbs picks (Rich Ohrnberger) and that he could actually have a shot at starting?
    Last edited by Tailgater; 04-26-2009 at 01:57 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll miss him

[IMG]http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/01_05/smurf_228x276.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3103995]I'll miss him

[IMG]http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/01_05/smurf_228x276.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/images/sam/Sam_RotK_8.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How ironic is this? The Pats get our original 3rd rounder (via Green Bay for Favre) and get our original 5th rounder (via Eagles for Sheppard).

Pats playing with Jets house money!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3103969]How can the Patriots sign all these draft choices?

[URL="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-551/Eagles-trade-two-fifth-rounders-for-Pats--Hobbs.html"]http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-551/Eagles-trade-two-fifth-rounders-for-Pats--Hobbs.html[/URL]

I don't know what to think of this.[/QUOTE]

hes no Lito Sheppard :yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This move could come back and haunt the Patriots here in 2009... Ellis Hobbs is a really solid CB and if the Jets had CB's such as Revis, Sheppard, Hobbs and Lowery...I would be pretty excited. I'll never forget that Kickoff that Hobb's returned for a TD against the Jets.

This kid was a talent and I'm not sure he will be replaced by the Pats here in 2009.

Risky move.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Darius Butler is a very good prospect but talk about weight on a rookies shoulders!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3104157]This move could come back and haunt the Patriots here in 2009... Ellis Hobbs is a really solid CB and if the Jets had CB's such as Revis, Sheppard, Hobbs and Lowery...I would be pretty excited. I'll never forget that Kickoff that Hobb's returned for a TD against the Jets.

This kid was a talent and I'm not sure he will be replaced by the Pats here in 2009.

Risky move.[/QUOTE]

I don't like the move myself, but they've already replaced him with bodden & Springs in free agency. I also like wilhite from 2008. He came on strong the last half of the year.

My guess is they see Butler as Hobbs replacement though.

Not sure who'll be the kr though. Hobbs was one of the best in the league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Pats aren't going to hold onto all of those draft picks. It's like survival of the fittest. Draft a crap load of guys and let the cream rise to the top. We tried to mimick everything from the Pats over the past 3 years except for this.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want a formal appology from TX.

I called out Hobbs a while back saying he was just a JAG and got ripped by not only TX but fellow JIers. Well I forgive the JIers, but come on TX you knew I was right. ;)

Seriously though two 5ths sounds about right for a guy of Hobbs talent. He is a serviceable starter, nothing more, nothing less.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JETS2417;3104261]I want a formal appology from TX.

I called out Hobbs a while back saying he was just a JAG and got ripped by not only TX but fellow JIers. Well I forgive the JIers, but come on TX you knew I was right. ;)

Seriously though two 5ths sounds about right for a guy of Hobbs talent. He is a serviceable starter, nothing more, nothing less.[/QUOTE]

COrrect... Just some clowns here who thought everything the Pats did was correct believed he was some good player.

Unfortunately so many people here just seem believe that EVERYTHING the Pats do is correct.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3104157]This move could come back and haunt the Patriots here in 2009... Ellis Hobbs is a really solid CB and if the Jets had CB's such as Revis, Sheppard, Hobbs and Lowery...I would be pretty excited. I'll never forget that Kickoff that Hobb's returned for a TD against the Jets.

Risky move.[/QUOTE]

Hobb was traded for a number of reasons..

1. He's going to cost about 3 million on the cap.. thats gone now

2. He's no better than an average nickel. He's been exposed for years

3. Between injury issues and the players the pats have signed and drafted, Hobbs has become expendable. Bodden and Springs will have the edge now with this years rookies and last years rookies.. (bodden was rock solid before playing in Detriot. He's back to a familar defense where he was a good player)

4. They took the draft picks the acquired and brought in a OG who will build depth. Something they dont' have on the OL, especially after next year where their two top reserves are gone

& to ask how the Pats are going to sign all those picks.. They just saved 3 million and they can always restructure.. But most will make the team.. Pats love depth..

Gotta love the fact they have 3 second rounders next year..