Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How was Shonn Green passed over?

How was Shonn Green passed over?

I am trying not to get too excited and separate my feelings as a JETS fan to reality but I am having a tough time understanding how Shonn Green lasted so long.

Looking at the hightlights that Ham and Jonny Johnson have posted here it seems like this guy was a first round prospect. If not first than definitly a second. Big strong brusing RB from a respected school and conference, I dont get it?

Again, how did Shonn Green last so long or am I off in my evaluation?........

Maybe it was his lack of production last season? :rolleyes:

...(20 TDs)

Banned
    [QUOTE=copernicus;3104156]I am trying not to get too excited and separate my feelings as a JETS fan to reality but I am having a tough time understanding how Shonn Green lasted so long.

Looking at the hightlights that Ham and Jonny Johnson have posted here it seems like this guy was a first round prospect. If not first than definitly a second. Big strong brusing RB from a respected school and conference, I dont get it?

Again, how did Shonn Green last so long or am I off in my evaluation?........[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing, and I'd love to hear what some of these draftniks on here think...

All Pro
    cause he's not great. good, maybe. But guys with his measurables are a dime a dozen. I really hope he can be deuce instead of a shipp, but let's not make him out to be the steal of the draft.

We'll see how his vision at the NFL level pans out.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=copernicus;3104156]I am trying not to get too excited and separate my feelings as a JETS fan to reality but I am having a tough time understanding how Shonn Green lasted so long.

Again, how did Shonn Green last so long or am I off in my evaluation?........[/QUOTE]

Because of his age(24 in august), 40 time(4.50) and how he missed all of 2007 because of academic reasons.

How did Marion Barber, Michael Turner, Frank Gore and Brandon Jacobs last so long? No worries cope, we got a good one!

All League
    40 time and the typical focus on what he can't do rather then what he can do.

People may have been afraid of his age, I think that's a weak excuse though.

Iowa doesn't throw the ball to RB's very often, so it's questionable on whether he can catch the rock.

He dominated just as much or more than any other RB in college football last year, but the things people aren't sure he can do are what kept him around so long.

Banned

I'm not really sure either? Would like to know though because I had this kid as the 2nd best back in the country only behind Moreno.

I've been in love with this kids ability and style of play for months now... Just about every Jets fan site from Jet-Nation, GangGreen, JetsInsider...Just about each and every Jets fan has been high and really high on drafting this kid since the begining of the offseason.

Then we trade up and get "Our Guy" and some Jet fans are crying like we just drafted a bust, I just dont understand. This kid made the best of his chance to start as a starter for that 1 year last year in 2008 and he rushed for 100 yards in like what? 11 games in a row or something like that? I simply LOVE power backs such as Jerome Bettis, Jacobs, Larry Johnson, I can go on and on... Having a power back like this, to match up with Leon Washington over the next 4-5 years? man... Our Offense has some potential.

Think he ran a 4.69 at the combine. That will sink guys on draft day.

Hey Paradis. Did you like ANYTHING the Jets did? You've bashed EVERYTHING! Realistic can be one thing but you are damn right cynical at every turn.

[QUOTE=HessStation;3104167]How did Marion Barber, Michael Turner, Frank Gore and Brandon Jacobs last so long? No worries cope, we got a good one![/QUOTE]

+1

RB's are common. He's not young or explosive. Doesn't mean he's a bad RB prospect, just that he's not an obvious superstar in the making.

Can he pound the rock? That's what really matters. We have Leon for explosiveness and speed. From what I've seen, he can. So we are good there.

His age he is 24 years old that is old for a college RB. He also only started 1 season and isnt explosive. I would have loved the pick if the Jets didnt trade up. I do feel Greene would have been available when the Jets picked. This was a bad move by the Jets. The Sanchez trade was less costly then this trade.

[QUOTE=Paradis;3104163]cause he's not great. good, maybe. But guys with his measurables are a dime a dozen. I really hope he can be deuce instead of a shipp, but let's not make him out to be the steal of the draft.

We'll see how his vision at the NFL level pans out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Paradis. The highlights of Shonn Green are off the charts IMHO. He "looks" like a stud RB..........

[QUOTE=raysdaone;3104166]Because of his age(24 in august), 40 time(4.50) and how he missed all of 2007 because of academic reasons.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Raysdaone. This makes sense.............

[QUOTE=HessStation;3104167]How did Marion Barber, Michael Turner, Frank Gore and Brandon Jacobs last so long? No worries cope, we got a good one![/QUOTE]

No worries here after seeing the highlights. WOW .......................

All League
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3104175]I'm not really sure either? Would like to know though because I had this kid as the 2nd best back in the country only behind Moreno.

I've been in love with this kids ability and style of play for months now... Just about every Jets fan site from Jet-Nation, GangGreen, JetsInsider...Just about each and every Jets fan has been high and really high on drafting this kid since the begining of the offseason.

Then we trade up and get "Our Guy" and some Jet fans are crying like we just drafted a bust, I just dont understand. This kid made the best of his chance to start as a starter for that 1 year last year in 2008 and he rushed for 100 yards in like what? 11 games in a row or something like that? I simply LOVE power backs such as Jerome Bettis, Jacobs, Larry Johnson, I can go on and on... Having a power back like this, to match up with Leon Washington over the next 4-5 years? man... Our Offense has some potential.[/QUOTE]

dude, I'm not sure what to make of you.

every post you make is about what a genius Tanny is and how great our draft is.

and you said in an earlier response to me that we got a 5th rounder in the trade with the Browns. When I questioned you on that, you never responded. I was actually excited, until I figured out that it's BS.

you seem to be nothing but a homer.

oh yeah, regarding your original question, Cop...it seems opinions are mixed on Greene. Gil Brandt is widely regarded as one of the best talent evaluators not presently working for an NFL team -- he didn't have Shonn Greene in his top 100. Not saying that GB is always right -- just saying.
    Last edited by gaffneycatch; 04-26-2009 at 03:26 PM.

could be a one year wonder

All Pro
    [QUOTE=aagarcia;3104178]Hey Paradis. Did you like ANYTHING the Jets did? You've bashed EVERYTHING! Realistic can be one thing but you are damn right cynical at every turn.[/QUOTE]

i know, i've been a bitter bastarhd for the last 24 hours, believe me, you guys have heard the least of it. The Bears and eagles fans i went out last night heard about it x10...

But i've said in a couple threads, i'm gonna back off the Sanchez ordeal and hope for the best from that guy.

but this morning decision to forgo defensive depth and even try to collect some picks was inexcusable. There was a littany of talent in the 3rd and 4th rounds we balked on.. sigh

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3104226]With 1850 Yards Rushing, 6 Yards Per Carry for the season, 100+ in every game he played including his bowl game where he was named MVP, and winner of the 2008 Doak Walker award which goes to the nations best RB ... and of course the 20 TD's you mentioned

Shonn Greene wasn't good in 2008, he was spectacular[/QUOTE]

Its very clear. W/ his 40, age and inexperience at RB, he dropped. If he were 22, played 3 yrs at RB and ran a 4.45, he would have been a top 12 pick. Based on performance, it is clearly worth the risk.