Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How was Shonn Green passed over?

Banned
    [QUOTE=gaffneycatch;3104237]dude, I'm not sure what to make of you.

every thread you post is about what a genius Tanny is and how great our draft is.

and you said in an earlier response to me that we got a 5th rounder in the trade with the Browns. When I questioned you on that, you never responded. I was actually excited, until I figured out that it's BS.

you seem to be nothing but a homer.

oh year, regarding your original question, Cop...it seems opinions are mixed on Greene. Gil Brandt is widely regarded as one of the best talent evaluators not presently working for an NFL team -- he didn't have Shonn Greene in his top 100. Not saying that GB is always right -- just saying.[/QUOTE]

How can I complain? We added a talented players during the offseason such as Bart Scott to replace an aging Eric Barton, We added Sheppard to replace Ty Law which means Lowery will be our Nickel/Dime back here in 2009 and Sheppard is a top CB when healthy, just ask any Eagles fan and we also added a solid Safety to line up opposite of Kerry Rhodes which is another upgrade over Elam.

How can I complain about going offense here in the 1st and 3rd rounds? We landed a Potential franchise QB in Mark Sanchez and a running back that just about every Jets fan wanted to see in Green in White here in Shunn Greene which seems to be "our man" here in the 3rd round because we actually had HOURS to think about this kid before making the trade up.

And in case you havn't noticed, we have been drafting players such as Mangold, Ferguson, Washington, Rhodes, Cotchery, Revis, Stucky, Harris, Gholston along with other talented players over the past couple of years...How can I complain about our previous drafts?

And I could have sworn that the Browns gave us a 5th rounder here in 2009 and I guess it was a mistake but to make a long stroy short..I didn't mean to get your hopes up.

But please...Dont call me a homer because I like the way things are looking and as a Jets fan...I'm not sure how anyone couldnt be excited like never before.

Banned
    [QUOTE=copernicus;3104156]I am trying not to get too excited and separate my feelings as a JETS fan to reality but I am having a tough time understanding [B]how Shonn Green lasted so long[/B].

[/QUOTE]

Ummm, he's as slow as molasses.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3104298]Ummm, he's as slow as molasses.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

His 40 time doesn't show his initial burst...

Which is all you need.

Is he? Because the posted highlights were against pretty respected schools and he had a lot of success............

All League

He was better than Maroney in college and the Pats took his slow ass in RD 1.

[QUOTE=iahawkeyejet;3104308]He was better than Maroney in college and the Pats took his slow ass in RD 1.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Oh snap, he took it there!

:yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3104289][B]How can I complain?[/B] [/QUOTE]

Look...I hope it all turns out as well as people like you seem to think it will.

but...we've traded 8 picks/players for 2. That's called putting all your eggs in one (OK, two) baskets...a very high risk move. So, one COULD complain about that approach.

And yes, you did get my hopes up when you said we'd also gotten a 5th rounder back from the Browns. I thought I'd missed something and actually believed you for few minutes.

not to rain on your parade -- but I prefer to be a bit more realistic about the uncertainties involved in all this.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=gaffneycatch;3104314]Look...I hope it all turns out as well as people like you seem to think it will.

but...we've traded 8 picks/players for 2. That's call putting all your eggs in one (OK, two) basket...high risk moves. So, one COULD complain about that approach.

And yes, you did get my hopes up when you said we'd also gotten a 5th rounder back from the Browns. I thought I'd missed something and actually believed you for few minutes.

not to rain on your parade -- but I prefer to be a bit more realistic about the uncertainties involved in all this.[/QUOTE]

You know what I like about just 3 picks Gaff?? People now just whine about 3 instead of all 7...:yes:

Banned

We already have a blazing fast type of speed back in Leon Washington that can do everything that a running back such as Shonn Greene cant.

It was time to draft a power back that can improve this Jets offensive attack once in the red zone and with a power back like this, who's hard to bring down because his legs are always moving...Our Goal-Line Offense should be explosive with Tony Richardson leading the way here in 2009. This Greene kid can move the pile.

Running backs such as Jerome Bettis and Larry Johnson has never been known for blazing speed but you know what? They really have good field vision and these types of power backs seem to punish opposing defenders with each and every carry. A power back such as Greene is also the perfect type of back for Rain, Mud and Snow games comes December and thats a fact.

Face it PatsFanTx... The Patriots backfield could only dream of having these types of backs.

Thomas Jones
    Leon Washington
    Shonn Greene

Dont hate homie, dont hate. :zzz:

Veteran

on a message board 12/08

12-10-2008, 12:27 AM (permalink)
    regoob2
    Pro Bowler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by curlyhawk101
    As an Iowa fan I must tell you you Shonn Green does not lack speed. That is something people assume about him due to his size and power. Shonn ran a 4.6 40 in highschool and showed off his speed many times this year out running oponents. This makes him a dual threat because he can either run you over or out run you

4.6 is HS fast not NFL fast.

regoob2
    View Public Profile
    Find More Posts by regoob2

12-10-2008, 12:30 AM

All Pro
    I think it's mostly his age and measurable -- he's 24 and doesn't have amazing speed. In terms of his skills and instincts, I think he's a stud... Not sure if it was a good call to move up for him, though.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

And when you rate guys by measurables only you wind drooling over L., Blair Thomas II, Maroney.:D

he is faster than tj

and will be running behind a top 3 o-line next yr..and by the way, tj went to the pro bowl last yr..i'm so excited..:yes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=supergumbo;3104184]Can he pound the rock? That's what really matters. We have Leon for explosiveness and speed. From what I've seen, he can. So we are good there.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm crazy, but I want a RB that can do BOTH. I want a guy who can pound the rock and take it to the house on any given play.

I just don't see the breakaway speed in Green. I really hope I'm wrong, but I think we made a mistake in TRADING UP for him.

Not that any of this matters because if he's not the real deal, we'll just take another RB next year. That's the beauty of the position. There's always another one. At least we got Sanchez!!!!:D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=copernicus;3104302]Is he? Because the posted highlights were against pretty respected schools and he had a lot of success............[/QUOTE]

Tyrone Wheatley and Ron Dayne say hello.

That's what Green reminds me of...

4.5 40 is not slow, dumbass, especially not for a 230 lb running back

All League
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3104179]+1

RB's are common. He's not young or explosive. Doesn't mean he's a bad RB prospect, just that he's not an obvious superstar in the making.[/QUOTE]

Tell Jerome Bettis that a 4.6 guy cant be an impact player - let alone a HOF guy.

Banned
    [QUOTE=BrickHouse;3105327]Tell Jerome Bettis that a 4.6 guy cant be an impact player - let alone a HOF guy.[/QUOTE]

I agree...For the past month or so, I've heard nothing but great things about Shonn Greene from Jet fans, nothing but great things. I've seen this kids youtube video's, I've seen what he can do on the football field and for the past two or three weeks...I've dreamed of this man in a Jets uniform and now we drafted the man, and we have SOME Jet fans on the negative side? wow, what gives?

Not only did this BEAST rush for almost 2,000 yards last year as a 1st year starter on the college level but this kid also rushed for 100+ games like 11 times in a row last year.

Lets not forget that Shonn Greene dominated the college level with each and every game and thats the reason why he was voted for as the [B]Nations Number One Back in the country![/B] And thats an award for any college running back to be proud of with only one year under the belt.

[QUOTE=fullblast;3104177]I Think he ran a 4.69 at the combine. That will sink guys on draft day.[/QUOTE]

My Grandma ran a 4.69 at the combine!

Many experts projected Greene as a mid 2nd round pick. He was obviously high on the Jets draft board and I read somewhere that the Jets were likely to take him at #52 had they kept the pick. That would explain the trade up in round 3. I do not think he would have lasted another dozen picks.