Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How was Shonn Green passed over?

He was projected to be a late 2nd to mid 3rd round pick. Due to speed, age,one year wonder, etc.

Jets wanted Greene as much as I thought they should. Shonn was my second favorite back in the draft behind Wells. I've thought of him as the future starting feature back. At 227 lbs, he complements Leon better then TJ does. And he's more explosive then TJ too. Greene has very good vision and balance, with much faster actual football game speed, then whatever he times at Combine and Pro Days. Behind Jets OL, Shonn will also be very effective in short yardage situations too.

With the TJ situation, looking with each passing day of his absence, possibly heading for a bad ending. Having a big bruising back like Greene was more importnt to address first, then was filling the need at WR.

Rex wants to have a run oriented Northest type of offense; complemented by the passing game. And picking up Shonn Greene assures the Jets of being capable of doing that. Hopefully as a three back rotation of TJ-Leon_Greene in 2009. But if TJ has to be traded, at least with the Greene pick, Jets will have an effective Thunder and Lightning running game.

IMO..Shonn Greene is going to surprise people, and be a dominant Beast RB for the NYJ.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3105347]I agree...For the past month or so, I've heard nothing but great things about Shonn Greene from Jet fans, nothing but great things. I've seen this kids youtube video's, I've seen what he can do on the football field and for the past two or three weeks...I've dreamed of this man in a Jets uniform and now we drafted the man, and we have SOME Jet fans on the negative side? wow, what gives?

Not only did this BEAST rush for almost 2,000 yards last year as a 1st year starter on the college level but this kid also rushed for 100+ games like 11 times in a row last year.

Lets not forget that Shonn Greene dominated the college level with each and every game and thats the reason why he was voted for as the [B]Nations Number One Back in the country![/B] And thats an award for any college running back to be proud of with only one year under the belt.[/QUOTE]

Look, I get that you're excited that the Jets took the guy you really wanted. He's a big back that put up great numbers last year.

I just don't care about what kind of awards he won or records he broke because some other great Big 10 backs were college football studs and NFL duds.

I'm trying to love the pick, but I just can't do it right now. I really hope he pans out and is our starting tailback for the next 5+ years, but I'm pretty skeptical.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3105641]My Grandma ran a 4.69 at the combine![/QUOTE]

Sign the beast!

Veteran
    Maybe because he is going to be 24 years old and has the speed of a fast fullback?

Banned
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3105641]My Grandma ran a 4.69 at the combine![/QUOTE]

Your Grandma >>>> Greene

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=copernicus;3104156]I am trying not to get too excited and separate my feelings as a JETS fan to reality but I am having a tough time understanding how Shonn Green lasted so long.

Looking at the [B]hightlights[/B] that Ham and Jonny Johnson have posted here it seems like this guy was a first round prospect. If not first than definitly a second. Big strong brusing RB from a respected school and conference, I dont get it?

Again, how did Shonn Green last so long or am I off in my evaluation?........[/QUOTE]

highlights are exactly that....

Greren is not a very instinctive runner in part because he had not played much football until last season- I stated yesterday, he does more thinking and looking rather than seeing and reacting when the ball is in his hands...

now 1) he improved as the '08 season went on and he got more work and 2) he has minimal mileage on him....

he's a poor man's version of LaMont Jordan, but has similar potential...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3106189]highlights are exactly that....

Greren is not a very instinctive runner in part because he had not played much football until last season- I stated yesterday, he does more thinking and looking rather than seeing and reacting when the ball is in his hands...

now 1) he improved as the '08 season went on and he got more work and 2) he has minimal mileage on him....

he's a poor man's version of LaMont Jordan, but has similar potential...[/QUOTE]

Where was Green on your RB board, and do you think it was smart to trade up for him?

add curtis martin to the mix.

[QUOTE=HessStation;3104167]How did Marion Barber, Michael Turner, Frank Gore and Brandon Jacobs last so long? No worries cope, we got a good one![/QUOTE]

All League
    Michael turner went in the 5th round... too slow

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/45665.html[/url]

why does everyone have to be extreme one way or the other? lets face facts...

this is a guy who was very productive in college, didn't run well at the combine, doesn't have a lot of experience, was academically ineligible...and is projected by most people to be a nice power back with potential to start on an NFL team MAYBE....its up to him to prove guys like TX wrong.

As far as i am concerned there are enough things to knock this guy for where Jets fans cant really call him any kind of a steal....lets all hope he rips it up...till then its just another pick with a top of question marks.

[QUOTE=Yankeejet22;3106917]Michael turner went in the 5th round... too slow

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/45665.html[/url][/QUOTE]

he also ran a 4.41 on his pro day...Green is not nearly as fast.

This guy is here to move the chains and wear down the defense.

He's not here to take one to the house from the 50 yard line.

Even if he can't run away from DBs, chances are it'll take more than one to bring him down.

This is a defensive-minded football team on both sides of the ball. A slow, clock killing running game is what Ryan wants and will be what Greene helps provide.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3106843]AGREED CB

Highlights are designed to show a player at his best, all of his best moments, that's why they are called highlights ... but that 1850, 6 YPC average, 100+ in all 13 Games, 20 TD's, Outback Bowl MVP and Doak Walker for the nations most outstanding RB ... all in the BIG 10, major D1A college football ... well that sort of validates those highlight packages[/QUOTE]

I don't profess to watch every single college game of every potential pro out there like a lot of the diehards do, but I know that Shonn Greene spoiled Penn State's National Championship hopes right good.

Beanie Wells didn't.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3106802]Where was Green on your RB board, and do you think it was smart to trade up for him?[/QUOTE]

I thought he would be selected from 34-47 but all the RB's fell much further than expected...

Hall Of Fame
    [SIZE=6]BUMP!!![/SIZE]

Whoa, some people might want to "revise and extend their remarks" as in Retract and hide their head in shame... Paradis and PatsFanTX to name but two.

DWC2 amongst others did in fact call it way back when.

I would personally like to thank Shonn Greene for running a 4.69 at the combine because that helped him fall to us and that was the fastest damned 4.69 speed I can ever remember by showing his take-it-to-the-house heels to the other team two playoff weekends in a row. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3104179]+1

RB's are common. He's not young or explosive. Doesn't mean he's a bad RB prospect, just that he's not an obvious superstar in the making.[/QUOTE]

Are you being serious? Its hard to tell with you. TD runs of 40 and 50 yards in back to back weeks seems pretty explosive to me.

Edit: My bad, didn't realize that this thread was from April. So much for Greene being slow though.
    Last edited by Ruby2; 01-18-2010 at 10:25 PM.

[QUOTE=Jonathan;3107001]This guy is here to move the chains and wear down the defense.

[B]He's not here to take one to the house from the 50 yard line.[/B]

Even if he can't run away from DBs, chances are it'll take more than one to bring him down.

This is a defensive-minded football team on both sides of the ball. A slow, clock killing running game is what Ryan wants and will be what Greene helps provide.[/QUOTE]

Well Greene sure proved us wrong.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3106154]Your Grandma >>>> Greene[/QUOTE]

I bet PatsFanTX would trade Laurence Maphoney, a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder for Greene now.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Dcat;3105657]Many experts projected Greene as a mid 2nd round pick. He was obviously high on the Jets draft board \ That would explain the trade up in round 3. I do not think he would have lasted another dozen picks.[/QUOTE]

... :clapper: ... exactly right!!! ... :clapper: ...

... i couldn't believe what i was reading there with many of these posts ... until i finally saw the BUMP and realized they were old and wrong ...

... greene is legit & it was a great move to go up and ensure we got him!!! ...

s_g_r

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Kleckomania;3465467]I bet PatsFanTX would trade Laurence Maphoney, a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder for Greene now.[/QUOTE]

It's funny, Bill Simmons (obviously a huge Pats fan) has been complaining non-stop that the Pats passed on Greene and went into another season with Maroney and a bunch of has-beens.

Greene is going to be the next Michael Turner. Bank on it.