Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How was Shonn Green passed over?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps a season of pro training and conditioning has improved his speed, running technique, strength, stamina, work off/rehab niggling injuries etc. Whereas before, he had to worry about college grades, holding down a job and so forth, he now just focuses on football 24-7. I think the Jets astutely used that time to polish their own diamond in the rough. As a result his game is better than previously advertised.

It's clearly paying dividends now. I like the fact that they used him sparingly over the course of the regular season and unleashing him on tired defences with his fresh legs as Damien Woody pointed out in his interview.

Can't wait for the AFC Championship showdown with the Colts, and for the War Machine to open a can of whup-a$# on the undersizes Indy D.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3466238]Rex Ryan has said on more than one occasion that the Jets had a first round grade on Greene.

Part of him falling had something to do with the fact that he was ruled academically ineligible at Iowa a couple of years ago, had to withdraw and go to community college for a while, got his grades back up and then re-applied at Iowa.

There were also some concerns about his ability to catch the ball.

Players slip like this every draft, fortunately for us, it was Shonne Green's turn.[/QUOTE]

The 40 time and academic problems must have hurt. RB's usually slip thanks to the fact that GM's in the last couple years since Reggie Bush don't want to reach for over-hyped backs. Granted Reggie is now looking good in New Orleans he was considered a bust the first 3 years of his career.

Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson both slipped. Granted not as much as Shonn Greene but still.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;3104156]I am trying not to get too excited and separate my feelings as a JETS fan to reality but I am having a tough time understanding how Shonn Green lasted so long.

Looking at the hightlights that Ham and Jonny Johnson have posted here it seems like this guy was a first round prospect. If not first than definitly a second. Big strong brusing RB from a respected school and conference, I dont get it?

Again, how did Shonn Green last so long or am I off in my evaluation?........[/QUOTE]

1- he didn't have a large body of work in college and there's was not a whole heck of a lot to go on after the '08 Iowa season...

2- even in '08 you could see early on he was doing to much thinking rather than read and react when the ball was in his hands....a lot like LaMont Jordan in his early years...Green improved as the '08 campaign continued but there was still concern if he was going to think to much at the next level...

3- he was never really much of a pass catcher at Iowa...

4- was also slightly over-aged coming out of Iowa...

factor it all in and people would not use a high pick on him....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3471585]1- he didn't have a large body of work in college and there's was not a whole heck of a lot to go on after the '08 Iowa season...

2- even in '08 you could see early on he was doing to much thinking rather than read and react when the ball was in his hands....a lot like LaMont Jordan in his early years...Green improved as the '08 campaign continued but there was still concern if he was going to think to much at the next level...

3- he was never really much of a pass catcher at Iowa...

4- was also slightly over-aged coming out of Iowa...

factor it all in and people would not use a high pick on him....[/QUOTE]

Tanny gave Terry Bradshaw and Joey Clinkscales total props for pushing for the Shonne Greene trade up on Fatcessa's show yesterday....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3471623]Tanny gave Terry Bradshaw and Joey Clinkscales total props for pushing for the Shonne Greene trade up on Fatcessa's show yesterday....[/QUOTE]

there comes a point in the draft where the value of a player is too good...and if a third rounder doesn't make it, not a big deal (even though they traded up for him)...