Thread: Why so many Compensatory selections???

Practice Squad

Why so many Compensatory selections???

Forgive me im a English Jets fan and have been for years, but ive never watched the draft live like i have for first time this year, but i keep on seeing Compensatory selections, what are these for and more importantly, why dont we have any :D

so glad the superbowl is coming to england...

You get a compensatory pick if you lose a player in free agency. Depending on how good they were, you get a better pick. The Jets didn't really lose anyone notable that they didn't cut, so they don't get any.

Practice Squad
    Is this a new thing, i know if you lost a FA in the 3rd year you got a draft pick from the team who took him, but i didnt know you get draft picks for losing a player.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=SigmaXJet;3104293]so glad the superbowl is coming to england...[/QUOTE]

I wish it was :D too cold her to host a superbowl. I am however going to the the NBA regular season game that is being held in the O2 arena in London.

[QUOTE=ricard78;3104303]Is this a new thing, i know if you lost a FA in the 3rd year you got a draft pick from the team who took him, but i didnt know you get draft picks for losing a player.[/QUOTE]

It's been going on for some time and it essentailly adds one xtra rounds worth of picks to the draft. There is a complex formul that determines what kind of comp pick you get and it is off set by free agents that you sign. The fact that the jets have lost a few players but have signed a number of them means we get no comp picks.

Practice Squad
    Thanks Beerfish, im now enlightened